PDA

View Full Version : List of spells which force movement in a way that allows opportunity attacks?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-15, 12:47 AM
Dissonant Whispers is one of my Bard's favorite spells. The damage its victims get from opportunity attacks ads up and makes the team enjoy it also!

I was just reading Eyebite in particular and wondering if its Fear aspect allows any enemies of the victim in melee with it to get their opportunity attacks when the victim flees.

This I will word poorly, but is there a list of spells which "enable" opportunity attacks like Dissonant Whispers does? What is the rule which allows Dissonant Whispers to cause the opportunity attacks but other spells not to?

Thanks in advance.

Darc_Vader
2019-11-15, 01:46 AM
You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

So by my reading, the following spells would allow for opportunity attacks:

Dissonant Whispers - uses both movement and a reaction
Fear - Movement and an action (Dash)
Eyebite - Movement and an action (Dash)
Confusion (on a roll of 1) - movement
Compulsion - movement and also explicitly allows opportunity attacks despite the targets avoiding obviously dangerous hazards

Less sure about these ones, but I think they should work too
Dominate Beast/Monster
Command possibly, though it could be ruled that they disengage before moving
Suggestion/Mass Suggestion

The only other spell I can find that causes forced movement that uses the targets own movement is Infestation, which explicitly disallows opportunity attacks.

Chronos
2019-11-15, 07:31 AM
Who's doing the moving? If it's the creature doing the moving (even if compelled to do so), then they provoke an OA. If it's something else moving the creature, then they don't.

A creature affected by Fear or Dissonant Whispers is moving by using its legs (or wings or whatever), just like it would normally. A creature affected by Repelling Blast is being thrown about by a magical force.

J-H
2019-11-15, 08:27 AM
Vampiric Charm may have this effect - it's somewhere between Charm & Dominate Person - but it's not likely to be something a PC has access to.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-15, 10:41 AM
Who's doing the moving? If it's the creature doing the moving (even if compelled to do so), then they provoke an OA. If it's something else moving the creature, then they don't.

A creature affected by Fear or Dissonant Whispers is moving by using its legs (or wings or whatever), just like it would normally. A creature affected by Repelling Blast is being thrown about by a magical force.

Ah, so if the person/monster is using their muscles to do the moving it creates an opportunity attack.

If an outside force like failing the save on Thunderwave or getting repelled by Eldritch Blast knocks someone out of melee, no opportunity attacks.

Simple, I like it!