PDA

View Full Version : Trading out a Bard Additional Magical Secrets spell will cost me a spell known?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-15, 01:50 AM
Does trading out an Additional Magical Secrets spell with a regular Bard spell cost me a spell known?

The back story, back when my Lore Bard leveled and got Additional Magical Secrets I picked Counterspell and Fly.

Fly has been useful but now at Level 10 I have Conjure Woodland beings and Find Greater Steed. Neither is exactly fly but the Pixies I can create can cast A LOT of Fly on my character and I can just ride my flying Greater Steed.

So next level I'm thinking about trading out Fly for Silence which I've had before.

BUT this line from Additional Magical Secrets: The chosen spells count as Bard spells for you but don't count against the number of Bard spells you know

has me thinking I better keep Fly and enjoy the silver lining of being able to cast it as a Level 3 spell and as an action while falling or whatever. I am concerned that trading my chosen Additional Magical Secrets choice Fly out is legal but then Silence in its spot is not an Additional Magical Secrets spell so it counts against my spells known.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 01:56 AM
Does trading out an Additional Magical Secrets spell with a regular Bard spell cost me a spell known?

The back story, back when my Lore Bard leveled and got Additional Magical Secrets I picked Counterspell and Fly.

Fly has been useful but now at Level 10 I have Conjure Woodland beings and Find Greater Steed. Neither is exactly fly but the Pixies I can create can cast A LOT of Fly on my character and I can just ride my flying Greater Steed.

So next level I'm thinking about trading out Fly for Silence which I've had before.

BUT this line from Additional Magical Secrets: The chosen spells count as Bard spells for you but don't count against the number of Bard spells you know

has me thinking I better keep Fly and enjoy the silver lining of being able to cast it as a Level 3 spell and as an action while falling or whatever. I am concerned that trading my chosen Additional Magical Secrets choice Fly out is legal but then Silence in its spot is not an Additional Magical Secrets spell so it counts against my spells known.

I think you'd be able to swap them out for a Bard spell, but I don't think there's any guidance specifically on Additional Magical secrets.

Darc_Vader
2019-11-15, 02:04 AM

I want to say that line there is only meant to let Lore Bards know that the spells given by the feature are not accounted for in the spells known column of the table, while the normal Bard Magical Secrets explicitly is. So based on that I would say you should be fine to switch them out; HOWEVER, because of this part of the spellcasting feature:

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the bard spells you know and replace it with another spell from the bard spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
if you switch it out then you would be limited to swapping for spells naturally on the Bard list, effectively turning the feature into extra spells known and that’s it.

Anymage
2019-11-15, 02:14 AM
RAI, the only reason Additional Magical Secrets don't count against your spells known is because they're a subclass perk. In effect, the point is to give you two more spells known. As such, most DMs would have no problem letting you swap one of those spells for another bard one.

RAW, and possibly RAI, magical secrets only adds those specific spells to the bard list. So if you later swapped out CWB, it would remain a bard spell for you but you wouldn't be able to pick a replacement spell off of any list. That would be my first instinct for how to handle an outdated secret, too; you could swap Fly for any bard spell of any level you could cast, but it would be your one spell swap for the level, and it could only pick a bard spell. Alternately, in the spirit of never making a reroll the superior choice, your DM may just let you swap it for another third or lower level spell. The first is more RAW, but it's worth asking your DM.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-15, 10:48 AM
Sounds like its a DM dependent situation. My DM does not micro manage our character sheets double checking all my proficiencies and what not BUT, I'll tell him what I'm thinking about doing 101 sessions from now when we hit level 11.