PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How do you build a cavalier?

Trandir
2019-11-15, 04:10 AM
This is more about feats at the end of the day. As a Cavalier, you want Strength and Constitution maxed and some feats to improve that.

Level: 3
Race: Variant Human (Boost to Str and Con)
Feats: HAM, Shield Master
Fighting Style: defense
HP: 39
Ability Scores: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10
Equipment: all your usual mundane equipment and a potion of "healing roots" (2d8+2 healing).
Martial archetype: Cavalier
The houserules: ASI are just for ability score increase and every even level and just for 1 point, half feats are now just feats for this reason (except HAM), free feats at lv 1 and every 4 levels afterward (lv 5 power spikes out of the ceiling).

With that, it will take a while to get to level 5 but it's always better to know what you will take.

My go-to picks would be:

Sword Mastery, DM approved;
PAM, with Shield Master already taken the bonus action becomes a bit contended.

And later down the line depending on how the campaign develops Resilient (Dex or Wis) and Mounted Combat.

Anything else?

Edit
Subclass for my tanky fighter

Well, my party is at lv 3 after just leveling up and we will have the "training montage" session next week.

At this point, I should pick my martial archetype but I find myself in a weird spot: too much tank. I can't find a subclass that really capitalizes on it.

Now any fighter could very well take champion and be fine but do you have any advice?

I would personally take Samurai, it has a decent mix of offense and defense.

Level: 3
Race: Variant Human (Boost to Str and Con)
Feats: HAM, Shield Master
Fighting Style: defense
HP: 39
Ability Scores: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10
Equipment: all your usual mundane equipment and a potion of "healing roots" (2d8+2 healing).
Martial archetype: to decide
The houserules: ASI are just for ability score increase and every even level and just for 1 point, half feats are now just feats for this reason (except HAM), free feats at lv 1 and every 4 levels afterward (lv 5 power spikes out of the ceiling).

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 04:17 AM
Sounds like you'd be a good fit for a Cavalier, it has mechanical support to make people actually try and attack you instead of your allies with it's Unwavering Mark feature.

Trandir
2019-11-15, 05:12 AM
Sounds like you'd be a good fit for a Cavalier, it has mechanical support to make people actually try and attack you instead of your allies with it's Unwavering Mark feature.

Yup that's true. At lv 5 I'll take sword mastery and I'll tank something every turn

Addaran
2019-11-15, 09:33 AM
If you want to be tougher, Eldritch Knight is hard to beat. Might be too invincible for the enemies to bother hitting you though. =P

Sentinel is a good feat ( i know, not a subclass) since you get a free attack when they don't hit you.

stoutstien
2019-11-15, 09:42 AM
Second this. Don't forget the marks are unlimited just the BA attack has set charges a long rest.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 09:54 AM
Yup that's true. At lv 5 I'll take sword mastery and I'll tank something every turn

Do you know that your DM is okay with UA feats?

Trandir
2019-11-15, 10:22 AM
Do you know that your DM is okay with UA feats?

He is. Before session 0 he gave everyone a file with his houserules. That contained also all the feats allowed (and the nerfs/buffs) and he included also some UA feats. The weapon master feats are among those.

stoutstien
2019-11-15, 10:24 AM
A cav fighter with Max str and con, HAM, shield master, sentinel, and res Wis? Why not lol.

Trandir
2019-11-15, 10:55 AM
Well, the OP got an answer so now it's time to decide what to do with it.