PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Craven and Volley Shots [3.5]

9erik1
2019-11-15, 01:22 PM
Hey guys, was looking for some clarification as I couldn't find anything. I was curious about the Palm Throw trick of the master thrower, which lets you throw two small throwing weapons (shurikens, darts, etc) with one attack roll.

However, it counts as a volley shot which means precision damage can't be applied twice. I was wondering how the Craven feat (which adds 1 point of damage per level when making a sneak attack). With Palm Throw, you're still making the sneak attack with two weapons and of course the regular RAW means you'd only get one instance of sneak attack dice. However, would the bonus damage from Craven still get applied twice?

Intuitively it seems that this isn't supposed to be the case, but strictly going on wording, Craven doesn't seem to be labelled as precision damage, and the damage applies when you make a sneak attack, rather than doing sneak attack damage. So despite one instance of dice, it looks like you'd get two instances of Craven damage.

What do you guys think?

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-15, 01:50 PM
Craven simply adds damage to the sneak attack dice. One instance of sneak attack, one instance of craven damage. There's nothing that even begins to suggest it should be any different.

Crake
2019-11-15, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, was looking for some clarification as I couldn't find anything. I was curious about the Palm Throw trick of the master thrower, which lets you throw two small throwing weapons (shurikens, darts, etc) with one attack roll.

However, it counts as a volley shot which means precision damage can't be applied twice. I was wondering how the Craven feat (which adds 1 point of damage per level when making a sneak attack). With Palm Throw, you're still making the sneak attack with two weapons and of course the regular RAW means you'd only get one instance of sneak attack dice. However, would the bonus damage from Craven still get applied twice?

Intuitively it seems that this isn't supposed to be the case, but strictly going on wording, Craven doesn't seem to be labelled as precision damage, and the damage applies when you make a sneak attack, rather than doing sneak attack damage. So despite one instance of dice, it looks like you'd get two instances of Craven damage.

What do you guys think?

There is no functional difference between making a sneak attack, and dealing sneak attack damage. If you don't deal sneak attack damage, then you didn't actually perform a sneak attack now, did you? You attempted a sneak attack, but you failed.

You're trying way too hard to mince words to make it fit through the holes you want.

9erik1
2019-11-15, 02:40 PM
You throw two weapons with one attack roll, that's the only reason I asked. Of course it seems like the intention is for one instance of craven damage per instance of sneak attack dice, I was just wondering how others would look at it and rule. I'm not wanting anything in particular, just curiously theory crafting.