PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help me assign LA to a new race

heavyfuel
2019-11-16, 11:18 AM
Previous post was probably too long with 4 races and I don't think anybody read it, so I edited it down to just one race.

+2 Con, +2 Cha

Medium size: As medium size, Aspects gain no bonuses or penalties based on their size.

Speed: 30ft land speed

Racial Hit Dice: An Aspect has two levels of Outsider, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of +3 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.

Racial Skills: A Moon Aspect's Outsider levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (8 + Int modifier).

Racial Feat: A Moon Aspect’s Outsider levels give it one feat.

Native Outsiders - Aspects are Outsiders with the [Native] subtype.

Spell Resistance (Ex): Moon Aspects are naturally resistant to spells and have spell resistance equal to their HD + 10. Note that spell resistance might stop beneficial spells, although it can be suppressed for 1 round with a Swift action, or indefinitely with a Standard action, requiring a Swift action to resume. When unconscious, this spell resistance is automatically suppressed.

Healing Wave (Su): Whenever a Moon Aspect is dealt hit point damage, she can use an Immediate action to generate a healing wave that heals all living allies (but not herself) in a 20ft radius burst for 1d8 points of damage, plus 2 point of damage for every level, to a maximum equal to the damage taken. This healing effectively reduced the damage taken, and might impede an ally from dying to an area of effect attack. This wave can’t be used to damage undead, nor can it be used while her Spell Resistance is suppressed. A Moon Aspect can use this ability once per day for two levels. As with all immediate actions, a Moon Aspect can’t use this ability if she’s flat-footed.

All seeing eyes (Sp): The eyes of the Moon Aspect can see what others cannot and allow her to use the following spell-like abilities. Her caster level equals her character level.
3/day Detect Magic; 1/day See Invisibility (self only); 1/week Scrying (casting time of 1 hour)

This race is supposed to be a tank of sorts. Sure, it doesn’t have any tanking mechanics, but that can be worked around with classes such as Knight and Crusader, two classes that really like Con and Cha. That’s where the racial bonuses came from.

Spell resistance helps keep the tank itself alive, while healing wave helps the party.

I was afraid Healing wave was far too powerful against AoE effects, so I tied it to SR, meaning that if an effect can’t penetrate SR, then the rest of party takes full damage, no reduction/healing. Also, SR has that big problem that it stops beneficial spells, so I made the on/off action cost more manageable.

The spell-like abilities aren’t super useful in combat (See Invisible is the exception but has a pretty restricted niche), but they do add some utility for out of combat. I was afraid of giving a strong 4th level spell (Scrying) as 1/day, so I changed it to 1/week. Still useful, but can’t be easily spammed.

So, would you give this race LA +0? LA +1? I really don't think it's strong enough to ustify LA +2. (Remeber it has RHD, so it already can't be played from lv1)

Anyway, PEACH!

heavyfuel
2019-11-21, 11:55 AM
After nearly a week, over 70 views, and no replies, I'm trying a new approach.

I've edited the post to just a single race to make it more manageable.

Here's to hoping!

kinem
2019-11-21, 09:49 PM
I'd say it's a +1.

rferries
2019-11-28, 05:36 PM
RHD is a very clever way to encourage martials!

I'd say LA+0 - the Healing Wave is useful but can be thought of as a very inferior version of fast healing or damage reduction. The scrying is the only thing that's technically too high-level, but I can't see it being game-breaking.

nonsi
2019-11-29, 11:49 AM
RHD is a very clever way to encourage martials!

I'd say LA+0 - the Healing Wave is useful but can be thought of as a very inferior version of fast healing or damage reduction. The scrying is the only thing that's technically too high-level, but I can't see it being game-breaking.

I agree. 1/week is hardly something that would break the game.

heavyfuel
2019-12-02, 08:57 PM
So that's 1 vote for +1 and 2 votes for +0. I guess that's what I was aiming for. Thanks for those who replied!

I've posted another race and would love if you chimed in there :smallsmile:

Here's the link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?603916-Help-me-assign-LA-to-another-new-race-(2-out-of-4)