PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity-based fire attack

stewstew5
2019-11-16, 02:02 PM
In a campaign I'm playing as a dex fighter (I got a poor array so I went for the most value) and as a part of his background he roamed around bouncing from master to master. One of these masters was secretly a dragon and taught him a martial art that let him tap into the energies of the world to use elemental attacks, and while he hasn't quite got it down yet he will eventually.

So, are there any ways (preferably feats) to make a fire/lightning/etc attack using fire?

Particle_Man
2019-11-16, 02:13 PM
Depending on your level, martial study could get you some (desert wind) fire-based maneuvers from the book of nine swords. Not super powerful but there ya go. On the upside you could later take martial stance to also make yourself resistant/immune to fire if you keep up with ranks in tumble (which is a class skill from when you took martial study: desert wind).

Are you allowed to multiclass?

Troacctid
2019-11-16, 03:08 PM
Dragon Magazine #355 has elemental fighter variants (page 93) that trade away their 2nd, 6th, 12th, and 20th level bonus feats. The fire version gets fire resistance at 2nd level, burning hands as a spell-like ability at 6th, and fire shield at 12th.

Of course, even better than that would be Aberrant Dragonmark. You can get burning hands from the least version, scorching ray from lesser (requires character level 6), and fire shield or flame strike from greater (requires character level 9). Child of Khyber (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20070416a) can allow you to develop the mark further (and more quickly).

Magic of Incarnum has some elemental soulmelds, which anyone can gain access to via the Shape Soulmeld feat, notably: Dissolving Spittle (lets you spit acid), Fellmist Robes (provides a miss chance against attackers more than 5 feet away), Flame Cincture (grants resistance to fire), Frost Helm (endure elements against cold), Kraken Mantle (improves swimming), Lightning Gauntlets (deals lightning damage with a touch), Mantle of Flame (deals fire damage when you get hit in melee), Phoenix Belt (endure elements against heat), Thunderstep Boots (deal extra sonic damage on a charge), and Wind Cloak (DR/magic vs. ranged weapons). Some of them can be improved by taking an additional feat to bind them to a chakra—for example, Lightning Gauntlets can be bound to your hands (requires level 6) to add the electricity damage to one melee weapon attack per round.

You can also find some material in Planar Handbook, including the elemental warrior prestige class and the Fire Heritage feat; however, I'm not a huge fan of either of them. And of course there's pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm).

stewstew5
2019-11-16, 03:22 PM
Depending on your level, martial study could get you some (desert wind) fire-based maneuvers from the book of nine swords. Not super powerful but there ya go. On the upside you could later take martial stance to also make yourself resistant/immune to fire if you keep up with ranks in tumble (which is a class skill from when you took martial study: desert wind).

Are you allowed to multiclass?

Mukticlassing is a yes, thankfully. Thanks for reminding me about martial study's

DeTess
2019-11-16, 03:32 PM
Mukticlassing is a yes, thankfully. Thanks for reminding me about martial study's

desert wind will get you a nice collection of fire attacks, from basic fire-bolts to elemental boosts to your weapon and what-not. I've also occasionally heard of DM's allowing people to take the energy substitution metamagic feat and apply it to this school's maneuvers, so if your DM is up for homebrew, that's something you could ask about if you want more than just fire.

The Viscount
2019-11-16, 03:33 PM
dragonfire assault can turn power attack damage into fire, or dragonfire strike for sneak attack.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-16, 06:33 PM
A single level of Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) gives you Fire Lash, a ranged touch attack that does fire damage, and counts as a whip for feats and such. Two levels let you engulf your hands in flame for extra damage with unarmed strikes. It's a standard action, but has no duration limitation, so unless you want to read a book or something there's no reason not to have it up all day. And the 4th level lets you do the same thing to any weapon you hold (move action, though), meaning you can add fire to any ranged or finesse weapon you want.