PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian, Path of the Pack Hunter (The Roguish subclass)

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-11-16, 05:13 PM
Tell me what you think. It probably needs a bit of balancing.

Path of the Pack Hunter

Some Barbarians have learned how to coordinate with their companions in a fight to overcome obstacles. Some of these barbarians are hunters in the wildlands, some are in gangs that stalk prey on city streets and back alleys. Either way they use tactics to create openings for their allies.

Synchronized Strike:
Starting when you chose this path at 3rd level, you can coordinate strikes with your pack during your rage. While Raging, if you miss an attack, you can select an ally in range of your target to make one weapon attack with advantage using their reaction. Add your Extra Rage Damage modifier to the damage rolled.

Tactics of the Pack:
You've learned how best to communicate and keep in step with your pack mates. At 3rd level you gain proficiency in Stealth and Thieves' Tools and can communicate using Thieves' Cant. Also, you gain the extra damage from the Rage Damage column on the Barbarian table when using Dexterity attacks while wielding a Finesse weapon.

Dirty Fighting:
Beginning at 6th level you've learned how to give you and your pack an edge in a fight. Whenever you hit an enemy with a Reckless Attack, you can use a bonus action to make a Shove Attack or Grapple.

Pack Cooperation:
Beginning at 10th level, when you use the help action to aid an ally with an ability check in which you are proficient, they may add your proficiency bonus as well as their own to the roll.

Debilitating Strike:
At 14th level you've learned how to better find openings for your allies, whose strikes now leave debilitating injuries. When an Enemy takes damage from one of your allies as a result of your Synchronised Strike feature, that enemy makes attacks against you at disadvantage until the end of its next turn.

Composer99
2019-11-16, 09:27 PM

Path of the Pack Hunter

Some Barbarians have learned how to coordinate with their companions in a fight to overcome obstacles. Some of these barbarians are hunters in the wildlands, some are in gangs that stalk prey on city streets and back alleys. Either way they use tactics to create openings for their allies.

Overall, a solid subclass. A little too strong up front.

Pack Teamwork:
Starting when you chose this path at 3rd level, you can coordinate strikes with your pack during your rage. One on your turn, while raging, you can select one ally within range to make a weapon attack with advantage. This attack uses your allies reaction.

Powerful and effective. I like it. Might evenbe a little too powerful.

Pack Cooperation:
You've learned how best to communicate and keep in step with your pack mates. At 3rd level you gain proficiency in Stealth and Thieves' Tools and can communicate using Thieves' Cant. Also, you gain the extra damage from the Rage Damage column on the Barbarian table when using Finesse weapons.

Honestly it feels like the "give your allies attacks" thing is this subclass' primary damage dealing shtick. The finesse weapon thing is too much on top of that.

In addition, since I assume the intent is to allow using Dexterity for melee (or thrown) weapon attacks while raging, you ought to specify that.

The proficiencies are fine.

Dirty Fighting:
Beginning at 6th level you've learned how to give you and your pack an edge in a fight. Whenever you hit an enemy with a Reckless Attack, you can use a bonus action to make a Shove Attack or Grapple.

Solid feature.

Evasion:
Beginning at 10th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as an ancient red dragon’s fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail. You can not benefit from this if you are Raging.

I don't think you need to prohibit using evasion while raging. That seems like an unnecessary and somewhat confusing nerf.

Expose weakness:
At 14th level you've learned how to better find openings for your allies. When an Enemy takes damage from one of your allies as a result of your Pack Teamwork feature, that enemy makes attacks against you at disadvantage until the end of its next turn.

Solid feature. The feature's name and initial description don't seem to have anything to do with its effects, though.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-11-17, 12:51 AM
Thank you for the Feedback! Re-worded some things based on your suggestions.

If the ability is found to be too strong, we can say they can do it a number of times equal to their Dexterity Modifier. Reset on a Long (short?) Rest.

I'm not quite ready to axe the Finesse/rage bonus damage but I'm prepared to if others agree that it is too powerful. A Barbarian may get a higher AC by putting more in Dex, but it will become worse at its Shoves and Grapples which I think is a fair trade.

I worry that evasion is too powerful for an already tank class. I'm also worried that other Barbarian Subclasses get a fluffy ribbon ability at level 10. I'm open to alternatives.

Old Harry MTX
2019-11-17, 05:08 AM
Why don't you give something to use out of combat, maybe that activate when in group (pack), like the ability to add the rage damage bonus in certain checks while helped by a friends with the Help action?

paddyfool
2019-11-17, 06:15 AM
If the 3rd level ability is too strong, would making it only allow an attack by an ally on an opponent with 10' of you be a suitable nerf?

As for the 10th level ability, I'd agree that it might best be used for out of combat utility. Or maybe a further party buff. Perhaps if you took a leaf from Ancestral Guardians and allowed access to a suitably thematic utility spell? A few ideas:

The hunt is on: You gain the ability to cast either the 1st level Ranger spell Hunters Mark or the 4th level Ranger spell Locate Creature. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells. After you cast either spell in this way, you can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest (EDIT: I think this needs work; maybe if you can cast both on the same target with this ability?)

The pack is fierce: Once per long or short rest when activating your Rage ability, you may select a single willing ally within 30' to also enter a Rage as the first level barbarian ability for 1 minute.

Something to improve initiative along the lines of the 13th level Scout ability Ambush Master might also be appropriate.

Old Harry MTX
2019-11-17, 08:26 AM

The pack is fierce: Once per long or short rest when activating your Rage ability, you may select a single willing ally within 30' to also enter a Rage as the first level barbarian ability for 1 minute.

This is actually pretty cool, but I would prefer it as a main feature (e. G. For 6th level), leaving room for an utility feature at 10th.

paddyfool
2019-11-17, 09:44 AM
This is actually pretty cool, but I would prefer it as a main feature (e. G. For 6th level), leaving room for an utility feature at 10th.

Fair point.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-11-17, 01:32 PM
Good stuff yall! Made a few changes.

The "let an ally rage' ability is cool and I thought about making it the level 14 ability, but the last thing we want is a raging rogue or, god help us, a raging Moon Druid lol

JNAProductions
2019-11-20, 08:50 PM
Synchronized Strike more than doubles a Rogue friend’s DPR.

It’s significantly over the top.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-11-21, 11:31 PM

Not really. You only get one sneak attack per round, this just gives them one more chance to use it if their one attack missed earlier.

Old Harry MTX
2019-11-22, 01:41 AM
Not really. You only get one sneak attack per round, this just gives them one more chance to use it if their one attack missed earlier.

Maybe you have to specify "single attack". As for now, it could be intended a complete Attack action.

Trandir
2019-11-22, 02:47 AM

That might be a concern. But the rogue would have to be in melee range and staing there, not many rogues will do that even a swashbuckler would use fancy footwork to get the hell out before the creature's turn. You gotta give the dudes something if they have the balls to mark themselves as most dangerous being in the party and prkbably also most fragile one.

Well it's more like yes really since rogues get one sneak attack per turn rather than round. That's the reason why one day I'd like to try a rogue that hase some support to his opportunity attacks.

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-11-22, 08:22 AM

Path of the Pack Hunter

Synchronized Strike:
Starting when you chose this path at 3rd level, you can coordinate strikes with your pack during your rage. Once on your turn, while raging, you can select one ally within range to make a weapon attack with advantage. This attack uses your allies reaction.

Tactics of the Pack:
You've learned how best to communicate and keep in step with your pack mates. At 3rd level you gain proficiency in Stealth and Thieves' Tools and can communicate using Thieves' Cant. Also, you gain the extra damage from the Rage Damage column on the Barbarian table when using Dexterity attacks while wielding a Finesse weapon.

Dirty Fighting:

Pack Cooperation:
Beginning at 10th level, when you use the help action to aid an ally with an ability check in which you are proficient, they may add your proficiency bonus as well as their own to the roll.

Debilitating Strike:
At 14th level you've learned how to better find openings for your allies, whose strikes now leave debilitating injuries. When an Enemy takes damage from one of your allies as a result of your Synchronised Strike feature, that enemy makes attacks against you at disadvantage until the end of its next turn.

Inspirational and Original...

JNAProductions
2019-11-22, 08:50 AM

As Trandir said, it's per turn, not per round.

So a guaranteed off-turn attack with advantage doubles your Rogue-friend's DPR. More than doubles, really, since advantage isn't guaranteed on your turn.

Nielspeterdejon
2019-11-22, 09:48 AM
This looks pretty good!

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-08-26, 05:10 PM
changed the Synchronized Strike feature. It is now more similar to Commander's Strike (Battle Master) or Order's Demand (Order Cleric) Feature