PDA

View Full Version : ASI or Wild Shape

Rev666
2019-11-16, 07:03 PM
Okay peeps need help with a decision. I've just started a long term campaign* (zeitgest) which is going to level 20 and i need help with a choice. My level 19 plan is life cleric 15, eldritch knight 3, druid 1. We were told multiclassing after character creation (we started at level 3) was gonna be near impossible so multiclassing was best done at the start (so I'm currently 1/1/1).
I originally was gonna go 16/4 cleric knight with an ASI from the knight to get magic initiate druid for shillelagh and goodberry (hand to hand boost and increase from life cleric) but i realised that knight 3 druid 1 would give me the same plus more. This also as a result got me to thinking of something else. Should i stick to cleric/fighter/druid 16/3/1 or should I sacrifice an ASI as a level 16 cleric and go 15/3/2 to pick up wildshape and circle features? Obviously if i did get a 2nd level in druid it would be early on in campaign as taking it late game would be too little too late and the wild shape wouldn't add much to help.

If it matters group layout (with intended subclasses where decided) is: dragonborn eldritch knight/celestial warlock, high elf bard/old one warlock, half elf hunter ranger, deva (campaign based race) abjuration wizard and me a hill dwarf.

With a 30 point buy my stats are currently:

Str: 10
Dex: 13
Con: 15
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha: 10

My intention with ASI's is Squat Nimbleness, Resilient (con) and +2 Wis. If i went 16 cleric I'd get another +2 Wis (unless you could suggest another boost or feat worth taking instead of maxing out my casting stat).

So the short of it is: do i go for an ASI or the ability to wild shape?

HiveStriker
2019-11-16, 07:42 PM
Hi!

I'd definitely pick Wild Shape myself, because it's probably my favorite ability of all time, even in its lowest form ("basic" lvl 2 Druid).

With that said, to each his own taste.
- Do you like being creative in how to use beast forms to ease travel/spy/utility?
- Do you plan on using beast form to tag-team/support another guy?
- Do you have a specific aspect you want to be great at and you feel Wild Shape is a big leap for that (example becoming the spy, or a herdmaster to hire beasts for menial tasks like hunting/digging/carrying)?
If answer to all is no, it's certainly not a good idea.
If answer to at least two is no, I'd probably avoid too.
Otherwise, it's worth it.

Just keep in mind that even if you picked Moon Druid, CR 1 forms will be quickly useless. So in your stead I may be tempted by Shepherd instead, which at least can provide campaign-scaling effects.
With that said, if you really dig into beast creativity, then Moon Druid is definitely the way to go just because of the much wider variety of forms (potentially) available.

Also, sorry for bluntness but: in what way is Eldricht Knight archetype worth it?
Bonus action weapon? Nice, but dispensable unless it's really the thing that makes you want to play this PC.
Cantrips and spells? cantrips are easily gotten from Magic Initiate, so it's really all about having Shield castable more often than 1/long rest. On that point... Well... Yeah, it's nice? But honestly, not worth the investment imo when that level could be spent on...
Well, let's say "total random": keep your cake and eat it (keep Cleric's ASI AND Wild Shape).

Action Surge for Fighter 2 is a different beast: as a Cleric, you'll have decent incentive to ask for short rests anyways. So you can count on the double dip casting as something you can pull off regularly enough. Do you really need it though? That is the big question.

Compare to that what level 3 of Druid would bring you: Healing Spirit (crazy amount of HP with Life benefit), Pass Without Trace, possibly Mirror Image if Land Druid, Warding Wind, Heat Metal.
Of course, if your Hunter Ranger pal intends to pick Healing Spirit and Pass Without Trace, then you grabbing a 3rd level is lot less interesting, you'd tiptoe on some of the things that make Ranger shine, bringing some of the best exclusive spells.

Otherwise? This is another great way to go.

Recap?
Cleric 15 / EK 3 / Druid 2: Wild Shape + 4x Shield (which eat 1st level slot. But hey, you'll probably want to upcast Bless anyways considering party size).
Cleric 16 / Fighter 2 / Druid 2: Wild Shape, 1x Shield (Magic Initiate ASI), Wild Shape, same caster level than previous.
Cleric 16 / Fighter 1 / Druid 3: lost Action Surge for 2nd level Druid spells.
Cleric 15 / Fighter 2 / Druid 3: lost ASI/feat for 2nd level Druid spells.
Cleric 17 / Fighter 2 / Druid 1: extreme healing.
Cleric 17 / Druid 3: crazy stupid healing. XD

Hmmmm kay, I made your choice harder instead of making it easier. Sorry for that. XD
Back on track, initial question: pick Wild Shape only if you see "utility value" in it. It will be overall useless in fight.

Keravath
2019-11-16, 08:52 PM
Keep in mind that if the 9th level spells matter to you then you would want cleric 17. 9th level slots on the other hand can be obtained with most of these builds.

I also have to admit that I don't really see the particular benefit of EK3. If you want access to the shield spell there are other choices though it depends on your stats (Wizard 1, hexblade 1, etc). Action surge is pretty useful but it isn't really the core of your build getting an extra action once/short rest.

P.S. If multiclassing druid from life cleric then find out what your DM will do about druid armor restrictions. Being unable to wear metal armor might be a problem.