PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help understanding CR increases from fractions.

Gamezdude
2019-11-16, 07:23 PM
Im struggling to understand how a CR would increase from a fraction.

For example a Lvl 1 Goblin's CR is 1/3 but goblins with classes "have a CR equal to their character level –2". I dont understand. Would it go as thus?

Lvl 1 = 1/3
Lvl 2 = 0
Lvl 3 = 1
Lvl 4 = 2

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-16, 10:03 PM
Goblins with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level -2.

That's... really strange, and in contradiction with the CR rules in the Monster Manual.

I'd stick to the MM rules for simplicity's sake (each NPC character class level adds +1/2 CR, rounded down if the total is over 1), but if you want to use the Goblin rules I'd do it pretty much like you have it, only with 2nd level having a CR of 2/3.

Fizban
2019-11-17, 03:06 AM
Pretty sure it'd be 1/3, 1/2, 1, etc. SRD and 3.5 MM are saying the same thing on my end.

Except of course for the fact that CR formula for classed humanoids is meaningless. The reduced CR for kobolds and goblins (compared to hobgoblins, elves, etc) is due to their smaller size and strength reducing their damage, but does little to account for their size and dexterity also increasing their attack and defense-and this essentially only matters for warriors, because adepts and experts (if their skills are important for combat) don't care about the size of their weapons. Meanwhile orcs have drastically increased damage compared to the other humanoids, and yet have the same formula CR. Meanwhile the reduced CR for NPC classes (which is normally CR= level-1, not 1/2, unless there's a ridiculously important line I've missed somewhere or you're talking Pathfinder changes) is meant to account for those being weaker than PC classes- but magical classes still don't care about the size of their weapons. And none of these actually take into account the actual primary difference between 1st level NPCs, which is from their equipment, because a warrior 1 with a greatsword and splint mail is completely different from a warrior 1 with a club and leather. And once you start going beyond 1st level, nothing scales appropriately on elite PC-classed NPCs compared to actual CR examples (as in: monsters), you either get glass cannons or outnumbered and outgunned tough guys, and that's before you consider wildly variable optimization options.

If you actually build non-elite NPC warriors, even using full NPC wealth for enhanced arms, armor, and ability scores, they can just barely keep up with CR= 1/2 level. If you assume that their higher AC and ability to think tactically and use ranged weapons makes up for not being say, a Brown Bear.

All of that said, the 3.5 MM statblocks for hummanoid warrior 1s are all fine, aside from the Orc. The Orc easily compares with CR 1 monsters, and should award xp accordingly. The kobolds have appropriately low damage for their 1/4 CR, goblins have a bit more, and other medium humanoids still a bit more but still just d6/d8 weapons.