PDA

View Full Version : Looking for all Kyton devils

Orpheus108
2019-11-16, 11:52 PM
Greetings All,

Im currently trying to compile of all the Kytons devils for a campaign im running. And oim looking for a list of Kyton and their source book too.
Im using them as the horror factor in my game as the HellRaiser demons/angels in the middke of the pcs in the middle of an all out civil war with the Drow race as half of them have 'defected' to the worship of Tiamat.

Its a long story for another day.

Cheers

Crake
2019-11-16, 11:55 PM
You realise there's.... a lot of kyton, right? And most of them are just unnamed chain devil #984?

TheGSE
2019-11-17, 12:12 AM
Pathfinder has an entirely different take on kytons (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Velstrac) in the planar sense, but they're still LE outsiders of 'pain, lots of pain.' The Archives of Nethys (https://www.aonprd.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Augur) has kytons running the gamut from the CR 2 Augur to the CR 20 Eremite. They also have a host of demigods called demagogues (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Velstrac_demagogue).

Orpheus108
2019-11-17, 12:14 AM
I know theres lots of the chain devils, but there are about ( i belive) around 15 or types of Kytons at different CR

Crake
2019-11-17, 12:56 AM
Ah I see, this a pathfinder thing.

DrMotives
2019-11-17, 05:10 AM
Glad someone specified PF, because in 3.5 proper there's really only 2 afaik, the kyton & the hellweaver. And the hellweaver isn't specifically called out as a kyton, but thematically it's a giant spider that lives in Hell, and spins webs made out of chains, so I assume there's a connection.

Orpheus108
2019-11-17, 05:53 AM
Yeah sorry, should have made that clear on it being PF as i know theres more in PF.

Cheers for the site Crake

Ruethgar
2019-11-19, 12:08 AM
Read that as Kython instead of Kyton and was like 'oh did PF expand on those little bastards?' But no, for reference Kythons are Book of Vile Darkness page 178 and are bloodthirsty little aberrations that look like a combination of a Xenomorph, Sliver(from Magic the Gathering) and some giant bug and are able to grow their own weapons from their natural resin.

Crake
2019-11-19, 01:24 AM
a combination of a Xenomorph, Sliver(from Magic the Gathering) and some giant bug and are able to grow their own weapons from their natural resin.

So tyranids then?

Bohandas
2019-11-19, 02:22 AM
Read that as Kython instead of Kyton and was like 'oh did PF expand on those little bastards?' But no, for reference Kythons are Book of Vile Darkness page 178 and are bloodthirsty little aberrations that look like a combination of a Xenomorph, Sliver(from Magic the Gathering) and some giant bug and are able to grow their own weapons from their natural resin.

I wonder. Is there some obscure root word that bith of these names are derived from. And if not them why did WotC give two different types of fiends basically the same name?

Malphegor
2019-11-19, 04:12 AM
I wonder. Is there some obscure root word that bith of these names are derived from. And if not them why did WotC give two different types of fiends basically the same name?

It’s pretty close to Cthonic, isn’t it?
Which means underground spirit which is about right for ‘beings that exist in hell which is a place typically depicted as being below’

PraxisVetli
2019-11-19, 05:32 AM
Glad someone specified PF, because in 3.5 proper there's really only 2 afaik, the kyton & the hellweaver. And the hellweaver isn't specifically called out as a kyton, but thematically it's a giant spider that lives in Hell, and spins webs made out of chains, so I assume there's a connection.

Sidenote, where is this Hellweaver?

DrMotives
2019-11-20, 02:40 AM
Sidenote, where is this Hellweaver?

My bad, it's called "Hellchain Weaver". Anyway, it's in Dragon #343, same article as the ever popular tome dragon.

Psyren
2019-11-20, 02:07 PM
https://www.aonprd.com/Search.aspx

Uncheck all except "Monsters" and search for Kyton

StSword
2019-11-20, 04:31 PM
Weekly Wonders A Summoners Guide to Kytons by Necromancers of the Northwest has three new kytons- CR 7, 15, and 1/2.

Among other kyton flavored goodies like archetypes.