PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cavalier ACF

Trandir
2019-11-17, 06:17 PM
Stand Still
At 3rd level fighter Cavalier feature (replaces Born to the Saddle)

You have advantage on Strength checks and saving throws made against an effect that would force you to move or to be knocked prone.

Protective Rush
At 3rd level fighter Cavalier feature (replaces Born to the Saddle and the Bonus Proficiency)

Once per round when a hostile creature you can see moves within 20 feet of an ally who is within 15 feet of your current position, you can move up to half your speed to a space closer to the hostile creature. In addition, until the beginning of your next turn your reaction can be used only to make an opportunity attack.You can't use this feature if you already used your regular reaction.

Trandir
2019-11-17, 06:26 PM
Any idea for a better feature or how to improve this one?

Composer99
2019-11-17, 09:25 PM
You have advantage on Persuasion (Charisma) checks made to coinvince someone that you will protect her or to make her follow your orders. You have advantage on Strength checks and saving throws made against an affect that would force you to move or to be knocked prone.

Advantage on ability checks to get a character to follow your orders is definitely not a niche ability, which is what this feature ought to be if it is to be a suitable replacement for Born to the Saddle.

I would suggest dispensing with the Charisma check part of the feature, leaving the Strength check / save part. Then rename it, seeing as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with being a defender.

Trandir
2019-11-18, 09:59 AM
Advantage on ability checks to get a character to follow your orders is definitely not a niche ability, which is what this feature ought to be if it is to be a suitable replacement for Born to the Saddle.

I would suggest dispensing with the Charisma check part of the feature, leaving the Strength check / save part. Then rename it, seeing as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with being a defender.

True.

And there is another ACF

Composer99
2019-11-19, 08:21 AM
Protective Rush
At 3rd level fighter Cavalier feature (replaces Born to the Saddle and the Bonus Proficiency)

When an enemy approaches an ally within 15 feet of you, you can use your reaction to move up to half your speed to interpose between your ally and the creature. In addition, you get a special reaction that you can use during this turn only to make an Opportunity Attack against that creature.

I don't care for "approaches". Also, you should probably be able to see the creatures in question. Finally, I don't see why you need to make the attack a distinct reaction.

Maybe try:

When a creature hostile to you that you can see moves within 15 feet of a creature friendly to you that you can see and that is within 15 feet of you, you can use your reaction to move up to half your speed, interposing yourself between the friendly target and the triggering creature. If the triggering creature is within your reach you may make a melee weapon attack against it as part of your reaction.

Edit: Having written all that, I daresay this is not a sufficiently niche feature to be a balanced alternative to the feature it is meant to replace.

Trandir
2019-11-19, 08:53 AM
I don't care for "approaches". Also, you should probably be able to see the creatures in question. Finally, I don't see why you need to make the attack a distinct reaction.

Maybe try:

Edit: Having written all that, I daresay this is not a sufficiently niche feature to be a balanced alternative to the feature it is meant to replace.

Well I am sorry but before I went back here I already tweaked a little the feature.

It needs to be a separate reaction otherwise this becomes 15ft of reach +half of the cavalier's lv 10 feature combined into a 3rd level feature. By separating them you give the opponent a choice between attacking you and taking another hit.

About the edit: why tho?
I have seen lot of people telling this but no one ever explains it further than: it's far better than what the base class offers.

For what I can see (and what was intended) this basically gives a little bit of extra movement to compensate for the lack of a mount. If you are already in melee range with an enemy this feature doesn't do anything. You disengage from one leaving him free (and taking the opportunity attack) to block another one. If you didn't manage to get to an enemy this feature is (in most cases) +10/15 feet of movement, and still doesn't guaratee an attack.

Composer99
2019-11-19, 11:55 AM
Okay. After reading through the other thread, I have a better feeling for your intent. If you want the cavalier to be able to make opportunity attacks against the triggering creature without automatically making such an attack, you can simply state, "you regain the use of your reaction". Maybe stipulate that you may only use the interpose reaction once per round.

Now, with or without a weapon attack built in, and with or without getting an opportunity attack back, this feature is still too good compared to Born to the Saddle.

The regular feature only works when you're mounted. That's often difficult to arrange in a dungeon, crowded city, or thick jungle. Most published adventures, for instance, aren't terribly mount-friendly.

As such, Born to the Saddle is strong, but hard to benefit from.

By contrast, getting to move 10-15 feet and possibly even make a weapon attack just because an enemy "approaches" is a feature you could potentially use every single round of combat, no matter the circumstances.

Trandir
2019-11-19, 02:31 PM
Okay. After reading through the other thread, I have a better feeling for your intent. If you want the cavalier to be able to make opportunity attacks against the triggering creature without automatically making such an attack, you can simply state, "you regain the use of your reaction". Maybe stipulate that you may only use the interpose reaction once per round.

Now, with or without a weapon attack built in, and with or without getting an opportunity attack back, this feature is still too good compared to Born to the Saddle.

The regular feature only works when you're mounted. That's often difficult to arrange in a dungeon, crowded city, or thick jungle. Most published adventures, for instance, aren't terribly mount-friendly.

As such, Born to the Saddle is strong, but hard to benefit from.

By contrast, getting to move 10-15 feet and possibly even make a weapon attack just because an enemy "approaches" is a feature you could potentially use every single round of combat, no matter the circumstances.

Thank you Composer. Thank you so much I mught just have got it right this time:

Once per round when a hostile creature you can see moves within 20 feet of an ally who is within 15 feet of your current position, you can move up to half your speed to a space closer to the hostile creature. In addition, until the beginning of your next turn your reaction only to make an opportunity attack.You can't use this feature if you already used your regular reaction.

It's shorter, simpler and still shenanigan proof

Old Harry MTX
2019-11-19, 03:28 PM
... In addition, until the beginning of your next turn your reaction only to make an opportunity attack...

I think you have lost something here ^^

Trandir
2019-11-19, 03:33 PM
I think you have lost something here ^^

I corrected that as soon as I've seen it. Apparently I wasn't quick enough.

Anyway thanks for pointing it out