PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best belt for a high level wizard

Max Caysey
2019-11-17, 06:39 PM
As on the tin... Im looking for a belt slot item for my high level wizard. All official 3.X books, dungeon- and dragon magazines, as well as official website articles are allowed!

The wizard is a level 21 PC, so WBL as such!

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

Biggus
2019-11-17, 06:50 PM
Belt of Battle (MiC) is always a good one.

Max Caysey
2019-11-18, 05:09 AM
Belt of Battle (MiC) is always a good one.

Any other enchantments you wanna throw on that bad boy?

Kaiwen
2019-11-18, 09:51 AM
You will never actually use this, but I always pick up a healing belt (MIC) in some form. 4d8 healing as a standard or up to 6d8 per day isn't too shabby for 750gp base cost.

Biggus
2019-11-18, 10:18 AM
Ah, if you're allowed multiple powers on an item:

Ruby Cincture of Immutability (MiC)

also possibly:

Belt of Endurance (A&EG)

Monk's Belt (if you have a positive Wisdom modifier)

Belt of Giant Strength (to carry all those heavy bags of holding)

Allanimal
2019-11-18, 10:36 AM
Ive always wanted a belt of magnificence +6 (miniatures handbook) but could never afford one.

A healing belt of battle magnificence would rock.

Rijan_Sai
2019-11-18, 11:11 AM
Ive always wanted a belt of magnificence +6 (miniatures handbook) but could never afford one.

A healing belt of battle magnificence would rock.

Was going to suggest this! Maybe not the +6 version, but the +4 should be quite affordable! (And while it doesn't stack with a Headband of Intellect (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect), you could still get the +6 version of that if you need the extra 2 points.)

Also, if you can spare a feat or two, you could always look into Shape Soulmeld for a Stongheart Vest (and maybe Bonus Essentia after that.) -1 to -3 from any ability damage is not a bad thing, I'm sure even in epic play! (And, it doesn't take away your belt slot if it s only shaped; it's only when bound that that happens. Also, if you do decide to take Open Greater Chakra for the waist bind, it will protect from ability drain, as well.)

DarkSoul
2019-11-18, 11:50 AM
A +6 magnificent belt of battle should probably be considered baseline. 218,000 gold.

liquidformat
2019-11-18, 12:43 PM
As on the tin... Im looking for a belt slot item for my high level wizard. All official 3.X books, dungeon- and dragon magazines, as well as official website articles are allowed!

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

Hands down only belt choice is the Fabulous Cursed Belt of Gender Change!

Rijan_Sai
2019-11-18, 03:42 PM
A +6 magnificent belt of battle should probably be considered baseline. 218,000 gold.
Huh... in my copy it's "only" listed at 200,000... (100K for the 4, 25K for the 2.)
Edit: OH! And don't forget it's half those costs if you make it yourself!

Hands down only belt choice is the Fabulous Cursed Belt of Gender Change!

Oh without a doubt! We were just trying to offer alternatives to such pure and true OPness!

liquidformat
2019-11-18, 03:49 PM
Oh without a doubt! We were just trying to offer alternatives to such pure and true OPness!

I really want to play baulder's gate now...

DarkSoul
2019-11-18, 05:00 PM
Huh... in my copy it's "only" listed at 200,000... (100K for the 4, 25K for the 2.)Belt of Battle is 12k, +50% for adding it to the belt of magnificence.

Rijan_Sai
2019-11-18, 05:27 PM
Belt of Battle is 12k, +50% for adding it to the belt of magnificence.
Oh, right... I misread that! (Missed the "Battle" part...)

I really want to play baulder's gate now...
Wait... that is actually a thing?!? I, too, need to play that old, hard-to-control-your-full-party game! (I've been as far as the first town after Obligatory Tutorial City, but never seem to get past that...)

Max Caysey
2019-11-18, 08:43 PM
Thank you guys for your comments so far!

As far as I've gathered, we are currently sporting a Magnificent, Monk's, Ruby Cincture of Immutability Belt of Battle! Is that correct?

What else could we throw in there possibly to spice up the "optimization-level" of that belt slot item, for a high level wizard???

Cheers!

Doctor Awkward
2019-11-18, 09:14 PM
Ruby Cincture of Immutability was already mentioned.

Desperation Chain is another option. Once per day if you would be rendered helpless for any reason you can cast any one spell of 3rd level or lower as an immediate action just before you succumb to the effect.

Belt of Wide Earth is another possibility. Double's your carrying capacity, and twice per day you can spontaneously convert an unused 5th level spell slot into Teleport, using your own caster level.

Biggus
2019-11-18, 09:29 PM
About the only other thing I know of that might be worth considering is a Desperation Chain (MiC). But tbh, if you've got 278,000GPs to spend, there are probably better items to get in other slots.

Max Caysey
2019-11-19, 09:05 AM
About the only other thing I know of that might be worth considering is a Desperation Chain (MiC). But tbh, if you've got 278,000GPs to spend, there are probably better items to get in other slots.

You're absolutely right. It was just too interesting to stop. But as a matter of fact, I need help deciding on multiple items:

Arms
Face
Feet
Hands
Torso

The same question applies to all of the above mentioned body slots.

This is really more of an optimization exercise than anything else... So I would love to get some input on all of them. So far I have Head, Fingers, Body, and Belt squared away!

Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers!

Telonius
2019-11-19, 09:58 AM
Well, if you want to use the sidebar in the DMG (p.288) you could include Steady Spellcasting (+5 to Concentration checks) at +50%. Since the Tunic of Steady Spellcasting is pretty cheap, it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Whatever magical enhancements end up on the belt, I think it should look like either Batman's utility belt, or Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Belt. (Possibly a merging of the two).

Selion
2019-11-19, 10:03 AM

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

It may be boring, but Belt of Mighty Constitution and Belt of Incredible Dexterity are both serious candidate, the former for Fort TS, which are scary at high levels, and for HP, the latter primarly for initiative (initiative wins encounters at high levels) and secondarily for AC and reflex TS.

EDIT: now that i read Belt of Battle it may be better than both

Rebel7284
2019-11-19, 03:37 PM
While the Belt of Battle Magnificence is indeed awesome, you may also consider Combining Belt of Battle with Belt of Battle with Belt of Battle for the Battle Battle Battle belt. :smallwink:

Biggus
2019-11-19, 04:53 PM
You're absolutely right. It was just too interesting to stop. But as a matter of fact, I need help deciding on multiple items:

Arms
Face
Feet
Hands
Torso

The same question applies to all of the above mentioned body slots.

This is really more of an optimization exercise than anything else... So I would love to get some input on all of them. So far I have Head, Fingers, Body, and Belt squared away!

Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers!

All items are either DMG or MiC unless stated:

Arms: the obvious one is Bracers of Armor, but there are other items which give an armor bonus to AC (such as Vest of the Archmagi, see below). Also, by level 21 a single casting of Greater Mage Armor lasts all day and it's not really worth spending 64,000GP for +2AC and a 3rd-level spell slot.

Other than that, there's not much for the arms slot. Bracers of Arcane Freedom are what I usually put on high-level Wizards.

Face: Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE) is my favourite, 75,000GP but gives continuous True Seeing. Also Third Eye Clarity and Third Eye Penetrate are very handy and not too expensive. Perhaps also a Crystal Mask of Mindarmor for a bonus to Will saves that stacks with everything.

Feet: Boots of Temporal Acceleration give a swift-action two-round Time Stop once a day, expensive but very nice if you can afford them. Anklet of Translocation for a swift-action short-range teleport twice a day only adds on 2,100GP. Boots of Tremorsense are also good value.

Hands: Gloves of Dexterity +6 is pretty obvious. Casting Glove is one of my personal favourite items, activate wands, eternal wands, scrolls, potions, staffs, runestaffs and a Talisman of Undying Fortitude without having to spend a move action (and possibly provoke an AoO) taking them out of your bag. For bonus points keep a +1 Warning dagger stored in it, and draw it as a free action any time it looks like combat may be imminent for +5 to initiative.

Torso: Vest of the Archmagi. No contest. Extremely expensive but worth at least twice what it costs. If you have access to epic items (ie over 200,000GP) add on a Dispelling Cord and a Formless Vest for very little extra. Also have a look at the Tabard of Valor (CCh) which as far as I know is the only way to get the Mettle ability from an item.

What have you got for your head, body and ring slots?

Troacctid
2019-11-19, 05:32 PM
Don't forget belt of the reinforced form, which lets you quicken a transmutation spell on yourself 1/day and grants a +4 bonus against transmutations. Base price 5,400 gp.

I recommend checking out the item section of my Warlockopedia. It's class-neutral, so it should be relevant to any character, including wizards. Here are the arms (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1461558263), face (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1870542784), feet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=405092498), hands (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=931160395), and torso (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=84083555) sections.

Max Caysey
2019-11-19, 05:39 PM
While the Belt of Battle Magnificence is indeed awesome, you may also consider Combining Belt of Battle with Belt of Battle with Belt of Battle for the Battle Battle Battle belt. :smallwink:

Ha ha... I'm going to have to remember that! :smallbiggrin:

All items are either DMG or MiC unless stated:

Arms: the obvious one is Bracers of Armor, but there are other items which give an armor bonus to AC (such as Vest of the Archmagi, see below). Also, by level 21 a single casting of Greater Mage Armor lasts all day and it's not really worth spending 64,000GP for +2AC and a 3rd-level spell slot.

Other than that, there's not much for the arms slot. Bracers of Arcane Freedom are what I usually put on high-level Wizards.

Face: Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE) is my favourite, 75,000GP but gives continuous True Seeing. Also Third Eye Clarity and Third Eye Penetrate are very handy and not too expensive. Perhaps also a Crystal Mask of Mindarmor for a bonus to Will saves that stacks with everything.

Feet: Boots of Temporal Acceleration give a swift-action two-round Time Stop once a day, expensive but very nice if you can afford them. Anklet of Translocation for a swift-action short-range teleport twice a day only adds on 2,100GP. Boots of Tremorsense are also good value.

Hands: Gloves of Dexterity +6 is pretty obvious. Casting Glove is one of my personal favourite items, activate wands, eternal wands, scrolls, potions, staffs, runestaffs and a Talisman of Undying Fortitude without having to spend a move action (and possibly provoke an AoO) taking them out of your bag. For bonus points keep a +1 Warning dagger stored in it, and draw it as a free action any time it looks like combat may be imminent for +5 to initiative.

Torso: Vest of the Archmagi. No contest. Extremely expensive but worth at least twice what it costs. If you have access to epic items (ie over 200,000GP) add on a Dispelling Cord and a Formless Vest for very little extra. Also have a look at the Tabard of Valor (CCh) which as far as I know is the only way to get the Mettle ability from an item.

What have you got for your head, body and ring slots?

Wow those are some nice items... thanks

For my Rings I have (well I'm going after it at least) The Ring of Winter and a homebrew ring I asked about on here a few weeks back... It grants the following: +5 deflection armor, +5 natural armor, Grants Evasion ability, +4 CL versus dispel and counterspell, +1 to arcane caster level, Aware of all spellcasting in area; 1/day dispel magic as a counterspell, Doubles 1st to 9th levels spells per day, +30 to Concentration.

For body slot I have a item we received on a quest we once did for the Magister (Playing in FR)

For Head, I'm currently wearing a simple steel Headband of Intellect +6, but I'm looking for The Highfire Crown :smallbiggrin:

So, like this is more of a wish list, of what to get. Indeed, I'm not sure I'll ever get the ring of Winter or the Highfire Crown, but they are probably to two strongest items in their respective slots, so that's why I wasn't interested in them. However, if you have some good, and more achievable options, for finger and head slot, I would love to hear them naturally! :smallsmile:

Cheers!

Biggus
2019-11-19, 06:33 PM
For my Rings I have (well I'm going after it at least) The Ring of Winter and a homebrew ring I asked about on here a few weeks back... It grants the following: +5 deflection armor, +5 natural armor, Grants Evasion ability, +4 CL versus dispel and counterspell, +1 to arcane caster level, Aware of all spellcasting in area; 1/day dispel magic as a counterspell, Doubles 1st to 9th levels spells per day, +30 to Concentration.

Holy Moly, that monstrosity must be worth like a million GP! I thought you had "only" the 21st-level PC's Wealth of 975,000GPs to spend? Or is it an artifact or something?

For Head, I'm currently wearing a simple steel Headband of Intellect +6, but I'm looking for The Highfire Crown :smallbiggrin:

So, like this is more of a wish list, of what to get. Indeed, I'm not sure I'll ever get the ring of Winter or the Highfire Crown, but they are probably to two strongest items in their respective slots, so that's why I wasn't interested in them. However, if you have some good, and more achievable options, for finger and head slot, I would love to hear them naturally! :smallsmile:

Cheers!

OK, some things you might want to get to keep you going while you're artifact-hunting...

Head: Circlet of Rapid Casting is by far the most cost-effective way to quicken low-level spells without using higher-level slots. Headband of Conscious Effort is very cheap, another of those "not super-powerful but useful enough that for the price it's silly not to if you've got a lot of money to spend" items the MiC has quite a few of.

Rings: Freedom of Movement is the main one in core that sticks out. The Ring of Enduring Arcana (CMage) is a bargain at 6,000GP, it makes your spells much more difficult to dispel. But my personal favourite is the Ring of Anticipation (DotU), also very reasonably priced at 6,000GP, which allows you to roll twice for initiative and take the better result.

You haven't mentioned the shoulders or throat slots or tools yet, do you have anything particular in mind for those?

Max Caysey
2019-11-19, 06:57 PM
Holy Moly, that monstrosity must be worth like a million GP! I thought you had "only" the 21st-level PC's Wealth of 975,000GPs to spend? Or is it an artifact or something?

Ha ha... that really got me! Yeah well, yes I don't have the ring, but just like I don't have the belt either, so its a wish-list item. Like, I'll start with a Ring of Protection and build/ keep enchanting from there... I think it cost somethng like 4.5 mil, but as I've said its not like I have it. This exercise is finding the items/ enchants I need as a high wizard.

OK, some things you might want to get to keep you going while you're artifact-hunting...

Head: Circlet of Rapid Casting is by far the most cost-effective way to quicken low-level spells without using higher-level slots. Headband of Conscious Effort is very cheap, another of those "not super-powerful but useful enough that for the price it's silly not to if you've got a lot of money to spend" items the MiC has quite a few of.

Rings: Freedom of Movement is the main one in core that sticks out. The Ring of Enduring Arcana (CMage) is a bargain at 6,000GP, it makes your spells much more difficult to dispel. But my personal favourite is the Ring of Anticipation (DotU), also very reasonably priced at 6,000GP, which allows you to roll twice for initiative and take the better result.

You haven't mentioned the shoulders or throat slots or tools yet, do you have anything particular in mind for those?

Ohh... I forgot about shoulders and throat. I currently wear a Cloak of Resistance +5 and a Necklace of Wisdom +6 respectfully...

Gauntlet
2019-11-20, 03:55 AM
Ohh... I forgot about shoulders and throat. I currently wear a Cloak of Resistance +5 and a Necklace of Wisdom +6 respectfully...

Rather than using up your Shoulders slot on a Cloak of Resistance, you could spend a sixth level slot each day on Superior Resistance, which is a pretty negligible cost for a wizard this high level.

This frees up your Shoulders slot for something like a Starmantle Cloak. I'd recommend combining it with a Ring of Evasion (or rather, adding Evasion to one of your existing rings).

Max Caysey
2019-11-20, 07:46 AM
Rather than using up your Shoulders slot on a Cloak of Resistance, you could spend a sixth level slot each day on Superior Resistance, which is a pretty negligible cost for a wizard this high level.

This frees up your Shoulders slot for something like a Starmantle Cloak. I'd recommend combining it with a Ring of Evasion (or rather, adding Evasion to one of your existing rings).

That's some real good advice there, I'll certainly be doing that. Two questions come to mind:

1) Would evasion and Starmantle Cloak stack, thus ignoring dam completely on a successful save, when attacked by a magic weapon?

2) What happens to creatures claws that strike a person wearing a Starmantle cloak?

3) My DM is a stickler for keeping track on all stats of items (He like to sunder our stuff). What is the Hardness and HP of a Starmantle Cloak? Or how would I figure it out?

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

Gauntlet
2019-11-20, 09:17 AM
That's some real good advice there, I'll certainly be doing that. Two questions come to mind:

1) Would evasion and Starmantle Cloak stack, thus ignoring dam completely on a successful save, when attacked by a magic weapon?

2) What happens to creatures claws that strike a person wearing a Starmantle cloak?

3) My DM is a stickler for keeping track on all stats of items (He like to sunder our stuff). What is the Hardness and HP of a Starmantle Cloak? Or how would I figure it out?

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

1) By RAW, yes. But it's clearly a very powerful effect (immunity to all weapon damage), so your GM may rule otherwise. I'd check with them.

2) Ask your GM.

3) Cloth has Hardness 0 and 2HP per inch of thickness, according to the SRD. If you get Sundered a lot, I'd recommend keeping up some other defensive effects that keep your stuff safe. Starmantle may or may not be immune to sundering by virtue of the fact that a Sunder attempt is a melee attack.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-11-20, 10:18 AM
Shadow Diadem from DrM is an amazing low cost addition to your head slot. 3/day 10rounds 20% miss chance and immunity to energy drain.

DarkSoul
2019-11-20, 11:18 AM
The highfire crown, eh? What stats did your DM give it, because there aren't any printed to my knowledge, and I used it in a campaign.

Biggus
2019-11-20, 11:35 AM
That's some real good advice there, I'll certainly be doing that.

Agreed that Superior Resistance is a better idea than a Resistance item, unless you're getting it from a Vest of the Archmagi.

The wording of Evasion is "if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage" so it works as far as I can see, although there could be some debate about the word "normally".

Personally I ban Starmantle for this very reason; that with Evasion and a reflex save of +14 or better (easy to get by the time you can afford the cloak) it makes you almost entirely immune to all physical damage (add in a Mantle of Second Chances to allow you to reroll a natural 1 and your chance of being affected by a physical attack drops to 1 in 400). But if it's allowed at your table, it's a great idea.

Other items to consider:

Shoulders: normally I'd recommend a Minor Cloak of Displacement for a 20% miss chance against anything which doesn't have True Seeing, but if the Starmantle Cloak/ Ring of Evasion combo is approved, it kind of makes it obsolete. The Mantle of Second Chances I mentioned is a good idea even without the Starmantle Cloak; with it, it's even better.

Throat: Scarab of Protection is a possibility, it's expensive for something which is consumable but it's an always active protection against some particularly nasty effects. Amulet of Tears is a low-cost addition which gives you some extra HPs when you really need them.

Shadow Diadem from DrM is an amazing low cost addition to your head slot. 3/day 10rounds 20% miss chance and immunity to energy drain.

Ooh, didn't know about this one, will be adding it to my wish list.

Max Caysey
2019-11-20, 05:54 PM
1) By RAW, yes. But it's clearly a very powerful effect (immunity to all weapon damage), so your GM may rule otherwise. I'd check with them.

2) Ask your GM.

3) Cloth has Hardness 0 and 2HP per inch of thickness, according to the SRD. If you get Sundered a lot, I'd recommend keeping up some other defensive effects that keep your stuff safe. Starmantle may or may not be immune to sundering by virtue of the fact that a Sunder attempt is a melee attack.

Thanks. I see how the cloak may very well be immune to sundering, but how about spell dam and stuff like that? We have had more than once, stuff disintegrated. It has just become apparent over the course of gaming with this guy, that stats on all items are a really good idea. So not only weapons and armor, but wondrous items and jewelry too.

Ill be checking that out!

The highfire crown, eh? What stats did your DM give it, because there aren't any printed to my knowledge, and I used it in a campaign.

Well, its not like I've found it yet. "Officially" it hasn't been seen since the fall of Myth Drannor, so its going to be some epic quest at one point (I hope), so I have really no clue of what the stats will be. Being possibly the most powerful elven artifact ever created, I imagine the stats being staggering. However, I could see then super powerful in terms of fluff too. Having an intelligent item, with the souls of 13 level 21+ mages and their combined knowledge and wisdom must be immensely powerful. I would imagine that my DM would be asking me - based on the official information - what I think it would do, and I would probably ask here or on Candlekeep for information. In the 2nd ed Fall of Myth Drannor book, it is stated that one becomes a Grand Mage by adorning it. Gaining the collective insight of 13 High Mages. So presumably you 1) Increase in level, gain a tremendous insight bonus to knowledge arcane and spellcraft checks, possibly gain one or more feats pertaining to high elven magic and finally maybe get a stat boost somehow, most likely to intelligence, but maybe you only get 13 high elven buddys to cast epic spells with... What stats/ powers did it have in your campaign?

Agreed that Superior Resistance is a better idea than a Resistance item, unless you're getting it from a Vest of the Archmagi.

The wording of Evasion is "if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage" so it works as far as I can see, although there could be some debate about the word "normally".

Right... that does seem strong... and cool! :smallbiggrin:

Other items to consider:

Shoulders: normally I'd recommend a Minor Cloak of Displacement for a 20% miss chance against anything which doesn't have True Seeing, but if the Starmantle Cloak/ Ring of Evasion combo is approved, it kind of makes it obsolete. The Mantle of Second Chances I mentioned is a good idea even without the Starmantle Cloak; with it, it's even better.

Throat: Scarab of Protection is a possibility, it's expensive for something which is consumable but it's an always active protection against some particularly nasty effects. Amulet of Tears is a low-cost addition which gives you some extra HPs when you really need them.

Nice... I'll be checking those out!

Cheers!

Tedective
2019-11-21, 07:37 AM
Belt of the Dread Emperor

3drinks
2019-11-21, 08:20 AM
I think it should look like either Batman's utility belt, or Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Belt. (Possibly a merging of the two).

This is the best belt imagery as I'll ever see.

Max Caysey
2019-11-23, 07:00 AM
Don't forget belt of the reinforced form, which lets you quicken a transmutation spell on yourself 1/day and grants a +4 bonus against transmutations. Base price 5,400 gp.

I recommend checking out the item section of my Warlockopedia. It's class-neutral, so it should be relevant to any character, including wizards. Here are the arms (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1461558263), face (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1870542784), feet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=405092498), hands (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=931160395), and torso (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0&fvid=84083555) sections.

I took a look, and its a very nice collection of items. There were specifically two, which I was hoping you could help with.

1) What is the source DC? I found something Bands of the Iron Monkey, which apparently is in DC, whatever that is!

2) Chainmail Glove of Taarnahm the Vigilant seem to exist in two versions. One in Mintiper's Chapbook Part 4 (FR online Archive) and in Players Guide to Faerun. I can't seem to figure out which is the newest version, as in printed the last! I assume its PGtF, but I can't say for sure.

Cheers!

Allanimal
2019-11-23, 08:50 AM
1) What is the source DC? I found something Bands of the Iron Monkey, which apparently is in DC, whatever that is!

Cheers!

Pretty sure that is Dragon Compendium

Biggus
2019-11-23, 11:17 AM
2) Chainmail Glove of Taarnahm the Vigilant seem to exist in two versions. One in Mintiper's Chapbook Part 4 (FR online Archive) and in Players Guide to Faerun. I can't seem to figure out which is the newest version, as in printed the last! I assume its PGtF, but I can't say for sure.

You're correct. Here's the Mintiper's Chapbook archive with dates: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/mc

DarkSoul
2019-11-23, 03:56 PM
Well, its not like I've found it yet. "Officially" it hasn't been seen since the fall of Myth Drannor, so its going to be some epic quest at one point (I hope), so I have really no clue of what the stats will be. Being possibly the most powerful elven artifact ever created, I imagine the stats being staggering. However, I could see then super powerful in terms of fluff too. Having an intelligent item, with the souls of 13 level 21+ mages and their combined knowledge and wisdom must be immensely powerful. I would imagine that my DM would be asking me - based on the official information - what I think it would do, and I would probably ask here or on Candlekeep for information. In the 2nd ed Fall of Myth Drannor book, it is stated that one becomes a Grand Mage by adorning it. Gaining the collective insight of 13 High Mages. So presumably you 1) Increase in level, gain a tremendous insight bonus to knowledge arcane and spellcraft checks, possibly gain one or more feats pertaining to high elven magic and finally maybe get a stat boost somehow, most likely to intelligence, but maybe you only get 13 high elven buddys to cast epic spells with... What stats/ powers did it have in your campaign?
It was a headband of intellect +12, though in hindsight +13 would have been thematically appropriate. It also granted the epic spellcasting feat if the wearer didn't already have it, and created up to 13 epic level casters to contribute spell slots to epic spellcasting for ritual reductions to the spell dc. It functioned as a spellbook with infinite pages and at least half of the gems contained knowledge of an epic spell that they imparted directly to the wearer. Obviously it wouldn't function at full power for someone under level 21.

Also, when money is truly no object, commission a Ring of Wizardry. (The period is part of the name); get a ring of wizardry 9 and build rings 1-8 into it. It'll probably have to be crafted of diamond created from the remains of Karsus and/or Mystryl, but once you can afford one that will be trivial.

Max Caysey
2019-11-24, 06:26 PM
It was a headband of intellect +12, though in hindsight +13 would have been thematically appropriate. It also granted the epic spellcasting feat if the wearer didn't already have it, and created up to 13 epic level casters to contribute spell slots to epic spellcasting for ritual reductions to the spell dc. It functioned as a spellbook with infinite pages and at least half of the gems contained knowledge of an epic spell that they imparted directly to the wearer. Obviously it wouldn't function at full power for someone under level 21.

That's some cool and powerful abilities... I would have added some Knowledge (Arcane) boon too, but besides that the abilities you have given it seems to fit!

Also, when money is truly no object, commission a Ring of Wizardry. (The period is part of the name); get a ring of wizardry 9 and build rings 1-8 into it. It'll probably have to be crafted of diamond created from the remains of Karsus and/or Mystryl, but once you can afford one that will be trivial.

Yeah, the ring is definitely going to be a Ring of Wizardry 1-9... Albeit, the ring will probably evolve from a fairly basic one and then as I continue on, more enchantments will be put on it!

YellowJohn
2019-11-25, 12:02 PM
Oh Boy! Equipping Epic Characters with 'composite magic items' :smallbiggrin:

I build Epic Characters for fun, so this is something of a speciality of mine & I'll definitely be back later once I've had more time to think. Also note that my characters tend not to be full casters because Spell Selection is daunting. But initial thoughts...

Firstly, don't forget your slotless items.
> The Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon) grants Heavy Fortification to whoever wears it embedded in their skin. It costs 35,000gp plus a Limited Wish to attach unless you are a dragon.
> The Spear 'Rapid Wrath' (GhostWalk Campeign Setting) doubles the speed of whoever CARRIES it. I carry mine in the 'Staffs and Bows' section of my Efficient Quiver. 11,702gp.
> A Luckstone (SRD), +1 rare bonus type to all skill and ability checks, and saves. 20,000gp.
> Phaant's Luckstone (GWCS) - 1,000gp for a reroll. One use, but so cheap. People love the Luck Blade for its 1/day reroll, you can get 32 of these bad boys for the same price. More than you're ever likely to need with no 1/day limit.

As for a belt... We've got the best ones, I think.
> Belt of Battle is your best friend. See if your DM will allow you to multiply up the charges by multiplying up the cost because Action Economy is king. 12,000gp for three charges
> Belt of Hidden Pouches (MIC) All your carrying needs for 5,000gp. Consider also a Handy Haversack (SRD, 2000gp) or a Druid's Satchel (Dungeon Mag #92, p103, 3000gp). Basically the more aesthetic it looks, the more you pay. Face it, you don't picture your L21 Arch Wizard wearing a backpack.
> Monk's Belt (SRD) One of these and Wis boosters will eventually become the cheapest way to add AC. May as well get started now.
> Desperation Chain and Belt of the Wide Earth also sound good; though I am always a little cagey about messing with things from item sets.

> Ignore the people calling for a Belt of Magnificence - it was rendered obsolete by the 'Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items' section of the MIC. Sure, it's slightly cheaper than six +6 items, but as a wizard you're probably not interested in a +6 Cha item. And even if you are, you're Epic now - you'll want a +8 Int item at some point.
> Don't worry about the Cincture of Immutability. Instead, take an item to which you can tack an Armour Bonus (Arms, Robes) and give it a +1 Armour Bonus. Then use the rules on p.130 of the Arms and Equipment Guide to add armour properties. One should be Soulfire (+4, Book of Exalted Deeds), and the other Proof against Transmutation (+5, Complete Arcane).

Biggus
2019-11-25, 08:21 PM
> Ignore the people calling for a Belt of Magnificence - it was rendered obsolete by the 'Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items' section of the MIC. Sure, it's slightly cheaper than six +6 items, but as a wizard you're probably not interested in a +6 Cha item. And even if you are, you're Epic now - you'll want a +8 Int item at some point.

Agreed that the Belt of Magnificence is not worth it for most Wizards.

> Don't worry about the Cincture of Immutability. Instead, take an item to which you can tack an Armour Bonus (Arms, Robes) and give it a +1 Armour Bonus. Then use the rules on p.130 of the Arms and Equipment Guide to add armour properties. One should be Soulfire (+4, Book of Exalted Deeds), and the other Proof against Transmutation (+5, Complete Arcane).

The Ruby Cincture of Immutability is still worth having, even with the Proof Against Transmutation ability, because it fully negates Disintegrate, whereas with PAT it can still kill you, it just can't disintegrate your remains. Also, the RCoI is only 12,000GP (or 18,000GP if added to a Belt of Battle) compared to 100,000GP for the item you suggest, so you can get it straight away at level 21 without making a big hole in your budget.

YellowJohn
2019-11-26, 09:16 AM
The Ruby Cincture of Immutability is still worth having, even with the Proof Against Transmutation ability, because it fully negates Disintegrate, whereas with PAT it can still kill you, it just can't disintegrate your remains.

Ooh, negates the disintegrate completely... Interesting...
I'm more used to statting melee whose response to disintegrate is more like 'Damage. BORING :smallsigh:' but... would this work against a spell targeting your equipment I wonder...

Also, the RCoI is only 12,000GP (or 18,000GP if added to a Belt of Battle) compared to 100,000GP for the item you suggest, so you can get it straight away at level 21 without making a big hole in your budget.

For clarification, I was actually suggesting two separate items. As per MIC you can tag Armour bonuses onto robe and bracers without being taxed, so I'd go for +1 bracers of Soulfire & a +1 robe of PAT (don't worry about the armour bonus. You're a wizard; Greater Luminous Armour - BoED - is on your spell list).
Total cost 25K + 36K = 61K, but let's face it, you were going to get Soulfire anyway.

So you're paying an extra 18K to change that 1/day immediate action into all day, no action. I think that's worth it, YMMV :smallsmile:

Biggus
2019-11-26, 11:33 AM
For clarification, I was actually suggesting two separate items. As per MIC you can tag Armour bonuses onto robe and bracers without being taxed, so I'd go for +1 bracers of Soulfire & a +1 robe of PAT (don't worry about the armour bonus. You're a wizard; Greater Luminous Armour - BoED - is on your spell list).
Total cost 25K + 36K = 61K, but let's face it, you were going to get Soulfire anyway.

So you're paying an extra 18K to change that 1/day immediate action into all day, no action. I think that's worth it, YMMV :smallsmile:

Fair point, that is better value. If you want to add other special abilities to your robe or bracers the cost increases of course...

Btw, where in the MiC does it say that you can add special abilities to armour AC items other than armour and shields? I can find where it says you can add augment crystals to them, but not special abilities.

Max Caysey
2019-11-26, 07:15 PM
Ooh, negates the disintegrate completely... Interesting...
I'm more used to statting melee whose response to disintegrate is more like 'Damage. BORING :smallsigh:' but... would this work against a spell targeting your equipment I wonder...

Some really nice stuff here... Thanks!

Btw, where in the MiC does it say that you can add special abilities to armour AC items other than armour and shields? I can find where it says you can add augment crystals to them, but not special abilities.

Well, if its possible to make an armor out of silk-cloth or snakeskin, surely the enchantment does not know if its being applied to a pair of snakeskin gloves, a snakeskin breastplate, or a robe. Just like a +1 enchantment does not know if its on a sword, a staf, an axe, flail or a chair leg. What's the difference between a small wooden shield and a wooden tabletop? Nothing really...

So I assume simply that the ability to add armor properties to none-armor items, is drawn from logic...

EDIT: Its from Arms and Equipment Guide page 130... I had to find it! :smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2019-11-27, 05:32 AM
Face: Hathran Mask of True Seeing for constant True Seeing; Third Eye Conceal for constant Mind Blank, Psionic; Third Eye Sense for at-will Clairvoyant Sense; Artificer's Monocle for at-will Identify; Raptor Mask for immunity to being blinded and dazzled
Waist: Belt of Many Pockets for hyperspace storage
Hand: Novice Shadow Hand (Shadow Jaunt), Scholar Shadow Hands (Shadow Stride), and Master Shadow Hands (Shadow Blink) for 1/encounter nonmagical short-range teleport using different actions; Gloves of Object Reading for at-will Object Reading
Feet: Boots of Agile Leaping for DEX to Jump and stand from prone without AoO as a swift action

YellowJohn
2019-11-27, 06:28 AM
Fair point, that is better value. If you want to add other special abilities to your robe or bracers the cost increases of course...

True, but there aren't any other armour abilities I consider Must Have's. I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Roaring because Initiative, but Primal Instinct (DM) on a Drow House Insignia (DotU) is cheaper than +4 armour even if you tack it on to something else, and provides a bigger bonus.

It doesn't. That particular rule is in a sidebar on p.130 of the Arms and Equipment Guide

Max Caysey
2019-11-29, 09:15 PM
So guys... thanks to all your help, this is the list so far! What might I need to change and what have I forgotten?

Arms: Soulfire, Planar Tolerance, Healing, Freedom, Health, Easy Travel, Comfort, Natural Armor Bracers
Body: Rope of The Magister*
Cloak: Starmantle Cloak of Evasion
Face: Third Eye of: Aware (+10 concentration, spot, listen and search), Conceal, Sense, Artificer's Monocle, Hathran Mask of True Seeing, Raptors Mask.
Feet: Gwaerons Boots of Sprinting and Striding
Hands: (Spidersilk/ Nightscale) Casting Gloves of Object Reading
Head: The Highfire Crown
Rings: The Ring of Winter/ Ring of Anticipation, Arcane Might, Enduring Arcana, Protection +5, Spell Battle, Wizardry 1-9
Throat: Amulet of Second Chances and Stability
Torso: Vest of the Archmagi
Waist: Magnificent, Monks, Healing, Reinforced Form, Battle Belt of Many Pockets and Ultimate Athleticism
Weapon: The Grand Staff
Slotless: Ioun Stones: (Clear, Dusty Rose, Dark Blue, Iridescent, Pale green, Orange)

Any comments on the list is naturally very welcome!!!

Cheers!

Biggus
2019-11-29, 10:26 PM
On the subject of Ioun stones: have a look at the ones Larloch has (Lords of Darkness p.161-162) which don't appear anywhere else. For example: a +5 version of the pale green prism, a rich green star which acts as a +5 stone of good luck, and a dark green ellipsoid which gives a +5 luck bonus to AC. They'd cost 750,000GP, 500,000GP and 125,000GP respectively, but as you were planning a ring worth 4,500,000GP I assume that won't be a problem...

RatElemental
2019-11-30, 01:10 AM
Maybe a custom item of minute form? Being small makes you harder to hit and easier to grapple, but you can just get freedom of movement and enjoy being harder to hit. Definitely need to devote some magic to flying 24/7 though.

Bphill561
2019-11-30, 11:33 AM
Belt of the Dread Emperor

This! It works better on a cleric, but if you wear it and hook yourself up to it you can take damage to not use a spell slot. For a cleric, a 9th level spell followed by a 6th level heal nets you 33 healing without any spell slots used. Best for buffs out of combat.

Face slot: Magic of faerun has a veil (forget name, without books) that gives continuous mind blank, freedom of movement, and spell turning once a day.

Erik the Green
2019-12-01, 03:11 AM
Face slot: Magic of faerun has a veil (forget name, without books) that gives continuous mind blank, freedom of movement, and spell turning once a day.

That would be the Cowl of Warding, p.156 in Magic of Faerun. Head slot, 200800 GP (don't ask me why the 800), 6 levels of Spell Turning/day, Caster Level 15. Looks like a black fine mesh veil over the face and a sort of head-cloak down the back of the shoulders. Standard issue for the Hidden Lords of Waterdeep-E