PDA

View Full Version : So we tried the A-men team

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-18, 12:35 AM
Hello guys :)

Yesterday game was cancelled be our regular DM so another players that DM in AL run us a session 5 AL adventure.

Instead of bringing our level 4 characters (it was tier 1) we built a party of four clerics.

I was a human forge cleric of Hextor(LE, Lord Alliance) with PAM and a spear I used the blessing of the forge on.

We had a hill dwarf tempest cleric named Thur worshipping Thur(CG).

A trickery human cleric of Hiddukel(CN) with the background that gives him a second identity.

And a water genashi grave cleric of a sea goddess of death, sea and mating(I am staying family friendly).

I was able to sell everything I had but my shield and spear for a splint armour very early.

We faced in the start with a water weird and a mud melfit.
We got a perfect fight with bless, bain, spear and cantrips.

The second fight was vs 10 half orgs that did 2d6+3 with gavalins and 2d10+5 with battle axes(so one shooting us on hit) and a sea hag.
Three of us fall and came back with healing word this fight.
(We were able to spot the snake swarms and avoid them, also the mud melfits in the second fight were to slow to get to the fight).
One half orge was able to run away half dead and we thought that the mud melfits needed savings because they didn't even had the chance to attack us or show hostility.

The DM gave us all max difficulty fight based on what the model said to do to a full party of level 4 characters.

The second encounter was 3 merged together with one of them not being max difficulty (he was max-1).

Even then we had a blast and this was the only reason we didn't steamrolled the model.

The A-man team is strong. Even at level 1.

This is what we did:
Beneath the Fetid Chelimber
DDAL05_06

We didn't desnded the tower.

Keravath
2019-11-18, 01:09 PM
Glad you had a good time :) ... that is the entire point of playing :)

A couple of comments ..

The APL for that module is 5 characters of level 3.

I don't really see how four first level clerics could survive with the difficulty level bumped up .. :)

You have to all make the save against the hag's horrific appearance. Also make saves if she uses her action to reduce you to zero hit points if you fail the fear save. (On the other hand, it targets wis and you are all good at that.)

All the half-ogres have +5 to hit and 30 hit points. The hag has +5 to hit and over 50hp. Any hit from any creature has a good chance to reduce you to zero hit points - any crit has a good chance to kill you outright. You have a total of 8 first level spells between you. Some were used in the first encounter (bless/bane at least). Every time someone goes down the spells they were concentrating on also drop.

Even if everyone hits every round you are doing an average of 7.5 damage/character (assuming d8 and +3 attack stat - add an extra 5.5 for the PAM character). Less if you are using cantrips.

Anyway, since you survived ... you were VERY lucky :)

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-18, 01:42 PM
Glad you had a good time :) ... that is the entire point of playing :)

A couple of comments ..

The APL for that module is 5 characters of level 3.

I don't really see how four first level clerics could survive with the difficulty level bumped up .. :)

You have to all make the save against the hag's horrific appearance. Also make saves if she uses her action to reduce you to zero hit points if you fail the fear save. (On the other hand, it targets wis and you are all good at that.)

All the half-ogres have +5 to hit and 30 hit points. The hag has +5 to hit and over 50hp. Any hit from any creature has a good chance to reduce you to zero hit points - any crit has a good chance to kill you outright. You have a total of 8 first level spells between you. Some were used in the first encounter (bless/bane at least). Every time someone goes down the spells they were concentrating on also drop.

Even if everyone hits every round you are doing an average of 7.5 damage/character (assuming d8 and +3 attack stat - add an extra 5.5 for the PAM character). Less if you are using cantrips.

Anyway, since you survived ... you were VERY lucky :)

Yea, we were lucky, and we used strategy.
We play with combat as war mindset.

I was able to reduce an half orge with my PAM and my spear as a +1 from the blessing of the forge in two turns each(lucky damage rolles).

I hit with the fire smite the hag and instead of removing the flames she tried her wis save action to reduce us to 0 hit points(we all forget she need to scare us first so she used it every turn, we all saved from the fear effect).
We all had +5 wis save and I the only one who were close had bless on and SoF(AC to 21) for the first half of the fight.
We had 19 18 18 16 for our AC.

The orges had only 5 hits on us, the tempest cleric was hit two times (one healing word from the grave and one from the trickery).

We used the tents as cover and tool for blocking most of the half orges from attacking us together.

Everyone but me used cantrips for damage(also great damage rolls and the half orges saved only 4 times).

We had bless up, bane up, Shield of Faith up smite up and 3 healing words.

In the first fight only a single bane was used.

To say the truth, I think that a normal encounter in 5e need to be deadly +2 if you want a challenge.

And AL models usually have lower difficulty then normal.

We got the max gold per level on this(we decided that it should count only as half way to level 2 so we will continue the rest as level one characters).

I am just excited because when the dude said that we are very hard I was sure he was laughing. At the end he told us exactly how he modified the encounters.
I was sure it was just a normal difficulty model.

Tanarii
2019-11-18, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure I figured out which one is Murdock, but which one is Face?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-18, 11:58 PM
Pretty sure I figured out which one is Murdock, but which one is Face?

Trickery he took con, wis and cha.

BTW, what do you mean by Murdock?

Gignere
2019-11-19, 07:29 AM
Trickery he took con, wis and cha.

BTW, what do you mean by Murdock?

He’s thinking A - Team but I think you are referring to “Amen” team.

Composer99
2019-11-19, 07:47 AM
Not going to lie, I clicked on this thread expecting some Mr T lines, only to be sorely disappointed.

Lyracian
2019-11-19, 08:16 AM
Given the hyphen in the title that is what I was expecting too!

Not going to lie, I clicked on this thread expecting some Mr T lines, only to be sorely disappointed.
Disappointed but not sorely disappointed.

Has anyone does the A-Team as balanced D&D party?
Mr T - Barbarian
Murdoch - Rogue
Face - Bard
Hannibal - Battle Master Fighter.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-19, 08:27 AM
So I am very bad with names.
And the name A-men team is a reference to A-team.

I am sorry to disappoint you my friend.

Given the hyphen in the title that is what I was expecting too!

Disappointed but not sorely disappointed.

Has anyone does the A-Team as balanced D&D party?
Mr T - Barbarian
Murdoch - Rogue
Face - Bard

I don't think you can recreate them in D&D.

And if you do you will want a lot of expertise for everyone.

Tanarii
2019-11-19, 08:28 AM
Hannibal is clearly a Wizard.

Kintar
2019-11-19, 11:52 AM
I pity the foo'l who clicked on this link thinking they were going to get more witty lines from me!

Monster Manuel
2019-11-19, 01:43 PM
Hannibal is clearly a Wizard.

Mastermind Rogue. He loves it when his plans come together.

But we're getting Off-Topic, here. Going back to the OP topic, yeah, an all-cleric party can be really effective. Add in an Arcana cleric from Sword Coast to get a little wizard-y, and you've got a party.

Sounds fun.

Willie the Duck
2019-11-19, 02:33 PM
I don't think you can recreate them in D&D.

I don't know. With all the complaints about D&D hit points, a show where the mooks can have their vehicle blown up with an RPG and they crawl out with just blackened faces and torn clothes sounds like a perfect matchup.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-19, 04:19 PM
I don't know. With all the complaints about D&D hit points, a show where the mooks can have their vehicle blown up with an RPG and they crawl out with just blackened faces and torn clothes sounds like a perfect matchup.

But you will need to make the A team members into legendary creatures.

I can't see them as PCs.

Undyne
2019-11-19, 04:58 PM

Yesterday game was cancelled be our regular DM so another players that DM in AL run us a session 5 AL adventure.

Instead of bringing our level 4 characters (it was tier 1) we built a party of four clerics.

I was a human forge cleric of Hextor(LE, Lord Alliance) with PAM and a spear I used the blessing of the forge on.

A trickery human cleric of Hiddukel(CN) with the background that gives him a second identity.

And a water genashi grave cleric of a sea goddess of death, sea and mating(I am staying family friendly).

I was able to sell everything I had but my shield and spear for a splint armour very early.

The second fight was vs 10 half orgs that did 2d6+3 with gavalins and 2d10+5 with battle axes(so one shooting us on hit) and a sea hag.
(We were able to spot the snake swarms and avoid them, also the mud melfits in the second fight were to slow to get to the fight).
One half orge was able to run away half dead and we thought that the mud melfits needed savings because they didn't even had the chance to attack us or show hostility.

The DM gave us all max difficulty fight based on what the model said to do to a full party of level 4 characters.

The second encounter was 3 merged together with one of them not being max difficulty (he was max-1).

Even then we had a blast and this was the only reason we didn't steamrolled the model.

This is what we did:
DDAL05_06

In the words of JoCat: "You can make an entire party of purely priests, call it the A-Men, and bust down Tiamat's door demanding her lunch money."

noob
2019-11-20, 05:22 AM
It reminds me of team cleric in pathfinder and 3.5.
Clerics are so much polyvalent that you can do nearly everything with clerics.

HiveStriker
2019-11-20, 06:51 AM

This is what we did:
DDAL05_06

Honestly an A-team would work extremely well with most classes.
I could see only Barbarians and Monk being hard to get up to level 5 or so because of their melee-centricity and huge lack of non-combat utility (except for Shadow and 4E Monks).

Whereas Cleric, Paladins, Druids and Wizards could probably breeze through anything reasonable from the get go.

Rangers, Sorcerers, Bards, Warlocks and Rogues would come close behind, with Fighters provided feats are allowed.

Petrocorus
2019-11-20, 02:38 PM
I can totally see B.A being a Battlemaster, and Hannibal as a Mastermind or Inquisitive.

Though B.A could be a Ranger with Favored Enemy: Fools.

I'm not sure how to model a mad crackshot pilot in D&D.

All the A-Team firing AK and M-60 on the bad guys, the flower pot beside explodes, the bad guys are blown by the explosion and are KO'd.

Ah... good days.