PDA

View Full Version : [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-18, 08:29 PM
True Faerie

"Maybe this whole world's just a dream."
Edward Elric

"Imagine a race of flying, invisible, shapechanging spellcasters who have been at the intrigue game for longer than your race has existed and you'll have a pretty good idea of why I want to leave right now."
Escalla Brightflower, True Faerie

Let the elves and the dwarves and the humans bicker and fight over who was created when and how the universe was ordered. The Faerie know - because they were there. Not even the Fae know quite how the universe started - they simply know that they have recorded, and indeed still have living witnesses to - the birthings of gods, the endings of worlds, the formations of planes and the sundering and streatching of reality itself. Faerie history is too long and complicated to chronicle here - indeed, even their creation myths can take a keg of wine and a month of your time to tell - but it is enough to say that they are responsible for the Seelie Court, and nominally rule it - as much as anyone can rule that body - to this day.

The True Faeries are a curious people, at the same time cuttingly brilliant and sadly deluded. Millennia upon millennia of magical research has yielded them tremendous secrets of magic, and for a long while, the Faeries hid with their spells in demiplanes that were more illusion than reality, sinking themselves into their dream worlds. Now, cautiously, the Fae are emerging into the world again, to see that they may not be as mighty as they once thought. The tenacious efforts of the other mortal races have forced the Faerie to adapt, and now the fractioning Seelie Court is dissolving again into its component Clans - political intrigues in this new world ending what little harmony the ambitious Fae had.

Older Faeries have a disturbingly - chillingly - long-term view, planning tiny political dances and social maneuvers that can last hundreds of millenia to achieve status or some seemingly inconsequential goal. The politics among the clans are so utterly incomprehensible to mortal beings that even the famed Drow are put to shame by the true masters of intrigue. Younger Faeries - those only a few hundred years old, or perhaps younger - are just the opposite, hotheaded firebrands with no long-term view and no desire to aquire one. However, with emergence into mortal societies, the Fae are mellowing out - firebrands beginning to stop and think for the sake of their companions, and puppetmasters picking up the pace to take advantage of the shorter-lived races.

Alignment: The True Faeries tend towards chaos and lean slightly towards evil due to the self-serving nature of their society. There are far more self-interested nuetral than evil Fae, however, and a growing movement of good-aligned Faeries is gaining prominence in what is left of the Seelie Court, spearheaded by Clan Nightshade.

Racial Features
+6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Con, -6 Str, -2 Wis. The Faeries are small and physically weak and frail, with a tendency towards low self-control and recklessness. However, their tiny size makes them quick, and billions of years of learning, magic, and politics has bred into them intelligence and wit.

Tiny Fey (Humanoid) - A True Faerie is affected by any spell that would affect a humaoid or a fey.

Base Land Speed 5 ft, Fly Speed 20 ft (Perfect). The Faerie fly with four dragonfly-like wings.

Shapechange (Sp): Once per round as a standard action, the Faerie may change her shape to anything roughly her size and exactly her weight - including inanimate objects, or back again. She gains none of the abilities of her new form (including those that would be gained by virtue of material, such as Hardness from wood) and loses her ability to cast spells that contain somatic components unless the new form has all the appropriate appendages to do so. She retains all other extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of her normal form, including her ability to speak. A Faerie who is slain while shapechanged reverts to her natural form, though she remains dead.

Invisibility (Sp): At will as a move action, the Faerie may make herself invisible as the spell (as cast by a 3rd level wizard). She may maintain this invisibility for only half an hour at a time, and must wait ten minutes between uses of this ability before she may use it again.

Charm Person (Sp): By spraying her victim with dust from her wings, the Faerie may affect one victim within melee range as if by a charm person spell (as cast by a 1st level wizard) once per day. Faeries are immune to the effects of Faerie dust, and the dust becomes impotent after a one round.

Magic-Bound: Spells are not merely a tool for the Fae, but a means of existence. A Faerie must have over one-half her character levels in a spellcasting class (for the purposes of this ability, a 'spellcasting class' is one that has access to spells or other signifigant form of magical power from first level) or suffer a 75% experience penalty. Prestige classes do not count against their levels in spellcasting classes so long as they have their own casting progression or they increase the level of one or more of their existing spellcasting classes at least once every two levels.

Level Adjustment +2

Whew. Alright, what'cha think?

Neftren
2007-10-18, 08:37 PM
I'd go to LA +3 and give it wings... unless your idea of a faerie is slightly different from mine? The hefty stat changes I'd go for +1. The Charm Person and Invisibility add another +1 or +2... Magic-Bound seems kinda restrictive so I guess that balances out.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-18, 08:44 PM
Oops, forgot to say they had dragonfly wings >.> That was entirely my bad.

The stats have a total modifier of -2, and they take huge penalties on Strength and Con to boot - the -2 Wis is just sorta another kick to the teeth. Personally (may be biased as the creator, mind), I'd put the stats at +0 L.A. because it ends up being more penalty than bonus.

Neftren
2007-10-18, 09:13 PM
Good point. Although it'd be perfect for rogues... except for the -6 Str. So you'd have to drop your highest stat roll into strength... or point buy a 16 for no stat mods. There's 10 of your points gone already. Not much of a bit hit though...

I'm still inclined to put it at LA +3... your choice though.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-18, 09:18 PM
What would they do with rogue? Their weapons do pathetically little damage (small), their invisibility is one-shot for that encounter and may not even be available for the next one. Sure, they've got some of teh stealthness, but at the end of the day, they get stealth and skill points, and that's it - everything else works utterly against rogue, including and especially those str/con penalties. I mean, what are they gonna steal with a carrying capacity that small? A single coin?

Neftren
2007-10-18, 09:23 PM
Easy.

Skillmonkey + Invisibility + Handy Haversack or Bag of Holding

Plus a +6 to Dex means that Weapon Finesse adds a bonus of +3 base, and assuming we have at least an 18 in Dex, that's 24 Dexterity, or a +7 Bonus to hit. Sure, just fly around, attacking, without getting hit, since nobody can actually see you. At high levels... maybe not so much but at around 6 level, this race just kicks butt. Simple.

Don't forget that with these stats, the true faerie can open just about any lock, (+11 if Maxed) and well... skillmonkey.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-18, 09:26 PM
Except they only get the invis for ONE attack. Further, you actually have to be able to fit the item in the bag of holding - for a tiny creature, that bag's opening is likewise friggin' small - and the bag of holding weighs fifteen pounds too, which means some faeries may not even be able to carry THAT.

Tell me what, show me your build idea with current +2 L.A., because I garuntee you, with Tiny carrying capacity and strength that low, you won't be much good besides as a skillmonkey (and even then, some traps will be impossible for you to disarm because they're too big). 32 point buy, SRD - have fun.

Ceiling009
2007-10-18, 11:14 PM
Unless you can find a reasonably way to boost str, this class is a great to hit, no damage class. Sure, Rogue can do the sneak attack, and invisibility is great... not to mention the massive bonus to move silently and hide, flanking is good too. But what can you carry? That isn't meant for you? A small sword, dagger, rapier, whatnot would be okay, cause you could carry it and lift it, same with your armor, but after that? You won't be carrying much. Scout would be okay with race, too bad their move speed is atrocious; for skirmish and anyway. Ranger would be better; but it would more funny.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-19, 04:11 AM
I made an ECL 12 character with this race just now, to see how bad their LA needs adjusting. If anyone wants to see the original argument let me know. Here's what I came up with when I was finished, however.

Tiny Size: +2 Size AC, -8 Grapple, +8 Hide - not that big a deal. It's a free 2 AC, but the penalties (0ft reach) make up for it, in my opinion.

Racial Modifiers: +6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Str, -6 Con, -2 Wis: Total of -2 penalty. - If they weren't Tiny, I could see the reason of giving them a +2 or higher LA.

Racial Abilities: The Charm Person as 1st level Wizard; is that at will?

Invisibility: The restrictions placed upon it even it out.

Shapechange: Eh. Could take or leave Shapechange at that size.

Magic-Bound: Not really a requirement; the only thing this race is good for is spellcasting classes with lots of ranged touch attack spells.

Here's the sample build I came up with @ECL 12:

Sorcerer 5/Rogue 3/Arcane Trickster 2
Using 32 point buy:
STR: 2 (-4) (Base 8)
DEX: 22 (+6) (Base 16)
CON: 4 (-3) (Base 10)
INT: 16 (+3) (Base 12)
WIS: 6 (-2) (Base 8)
CHA: 20 (+5) (Base 18)

Spells as a 7th level Sorcerer
Skillmonkey
Able to reach +32 (or more) on ranged touch attack spells.
3d6 sneak attack.
@32 point buy, 22 base CHA by character level 10. Add in enchanted items (if you can find them for Tiny).
Right spell choice means anyone with less than 5 ranks in balance gets zapped by a ranged touch attack with Sneak Attack dice.

Becomes even more vicious when it becomes 3 Wizard/3 Rogue/4 Arcane Trickster.

However, this is easily doable with any other race, except for the 22 CHA (Aasimar could do it).

My verdict?
+1 LA.
+2 is too high as they aren't on par with other +2's (Drow, Fey'ri, Duergar, etc); the ability scores, size, etc, earn it a +1 LA total. Sure, you get nice ability score adjustments, but you also get some heavy penalties to go with it.

The flight, however, may make it a +2 on its own. But I stand by my statement of +1.

TK-Squared
2007-10-19, 04:56 AM
Every time I think of Fey, I think of high Charisma and a connection to magical powers, rather than invoking them from the ether or whatever. Personally, I'd swap the Int and Cha bonuses.

Then, take Warlock as a class.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 05:45 AM
Oops, forgot that their Faerie dust is once per day - thank'ee Imp.

Now, everyone, look at those stats. They seem pretty decent, but that 4 con means that every level of wizard, sorc, or D4 class nets these guys -1- hit point, maybe 2 if they drop for Improved Toughness. That's a punch in the gut. A severe one.

@Tk - There's a reason they have the Humanoid subtype besides balancing. They're fey because they're an innate part of the universe, but that's about the extent of their fey-ness. Any connection to nature or the primal, wild nature of magic they once had has long since been extinguished. They're sorta like Vulcans (Star Trek) - even the chaotic ones think in patterns and processes and logical extensions of what they know - and their 'innate' powers are controlled the same way. The Cha bonus is just because of a few billion milennia of lying, cheating, negotiating, backstabbing, and otherwise manipulating each other. That's also why it's so small - it's superficial, not really representative of what a substantial increase in Cha represents (self-confidence, force of personality, and absolute iron assurance in your own self).

@Relentless - Think about this for Shapechange - turning into a really long, thin, heavy worm, then slipping through a keyhole. Or disguising oneself as a small object. It's useful, just limited.

Though I -would- be happy to hear L.A. 1....

FireSpark
2007-10-19, 06:11 AM
Question.

Would the Warlock class qualify to meet the demands of the spellbound requirement of the race? Because if so, I could see a True Faerie Warlock being a fun build to play.

*Zappy*Zap*Zap* :smallbiggrin:

raichi
2007-10-19, 08:49 AM
yeah i would swap int and cha secondly considering all of the penalties, it could get a +1la, the half fey in the fiend folio gets charm person at will and better flight speed and i think an even lower penalty to con in addition to any other bonus you would get from the other race since it's a template soo yeah also in my opinion warlock would count as a casting class for terms of the requiremtent.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 09:25 AM
I've outlined above why the Int and Cha are how they are, and will not repeat myself on that score.

Warlock falls under, 'other signifigant source of magical power', so I'd say yeah, they count. Don't hold me to that, though, because it's ultimately your DMs decision.

Alex12
2007-10-19, 10:46 AM
Does psionics count as significant magical power for purposes of Magic-bound?

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 02:03 PM
Ask your DM - some people don't consider psionics to be magical, others do.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-19, 03:53 PM
Well, it depends on the state of transparency, really.

But given that the race says "Spellcasting Class", it makes one think of Sorc/Wiz, Cleric, Favored Soul, etc, not psionic classes - mainly because of the terminology. Casters "cast" their spells; Psionicists "manifest" their powers.

If they're a magic-heavy race, then I'd leave it as "arcane and divine casters", and not include manifesters. However, it's up to the creator of the race.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-19, 03:58 PM
+3 or +4.

The ability scores are worth at least +1 by themselves.

Flight is worth +2.

The specials are worth +1.

No drawbacks, as you'd only ever think of playing a spellcaster anyway. I mean, a rogue with -6 str? A scout? Anything that relies on physical damage is shot, leaving... Magic! Duh.

I would hesitate to place this at +3 LA. +4 is safer.

osyluth
2007-10-19, 04:05 PM
wiz is right the lv. adj. is to low

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 04:10 PM
No drawbacks, as you'd only ever think of playing a spellcaster anyway.

And that statement alone reveals how little you know about balancing/the L.A. system. There will inevitably be the player who decides to break that mold, or the NPC, or whatever, and you need to consider that, not just say, "Well, they're all casters and casters are borked so up the L.A.". There are plenty of drawbacks, not the least of which is that con penalty.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-19, 04:31 PM
That 75% experience penalty makes it kind of difficult to break that mold. The con penalty is a big deal, yes; they remain good spellcasters and skillmonkeys, however.

But, compare them to pixies:

Special Attacks
Greater Invisibility (Su)

A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
Spell-Like Abilities

1/day—lesser confusion (DC 14), dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 15), dispel magic, entangle (DC 14), permanent image (DC 19; visual and auditory elements only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

One pixie in ten can use irresistible dance (caster level 8th) once per day.
Special Arrows (Ex)

Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep.
Memory Loss

An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.
Sleep

Any opponent struck by this arrow, regardless of Hit Dice, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a sleep spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Pixies as Characters
* -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
* Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
* Low-light vision.
* Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
* Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
* Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.
* Level adjustment +4 (+6 if the pixie can use irresistible dance).

Those ability scores are far, far more than the True Faerie's, with far better special abilities.

So again, I stand by my statement of +1LA, though +2 would be a more comfortable level.

boomwolf
2007-10-19, 04:45 PM
This is one deadly race.
But if any opponent has MM, you are dead. and i mean, a level 5 sorcerer true true faerie will have about 13 hp. meaning it will take a level 5 sorcerer/wizard of any race can put her below 0 hp with a single, never-miss three-shot magic missile. (3d4+3, average of 10.5 damage. close.) at worse case he needs two casting (and with two casting you can do it in level 3. 4d4+4 gets you an average of 14 damage.)
A level 3 wizard can kill her with 1 scorching ray if he hits. and if he hits, he can get her to -10 by that hit. (4d6. average of 12 damage.)

As far it is hard to hit this critter, every hit is deadly for it. the -6 con is a hard blow.
Also note, that due to size, some funny things can happen (tanglefoot bag? you drown.)
Risky to play, as far as it is good, you need skill and cunning (as a player) to survive.

But i would still raise LA to +3

EvilElitest
2007-10-19, 04:49 PM
Really cool idea, and i think LA 3 works well, just can we have a slightly more detailed discrimination please. Something about really what kind of fairy it is based after ect. Picture?
from,
EE

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 05:04 PM
Well, the race itself is based off the Faerie featured in "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" by Jeff Grubb, which were never actually statted. Princess Escalla Brightflower is one of the main characters in that book, which involves a tiny glimpse of Fae politics. If you read it, I reccomend reading 'White Plume Mountain' first.

EvilElitest
2007-10-19, 05:06 PM
Well, the race itself is based off the Faerie featured in "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" by Jeff Grubb, which were never actually statted. Princess Escalla Brightflower is one of the main characters in that book, which involves a tiny glimpse of Fae politics. If you read it, I reccomend reading 'White Plume Mountain' first.

I've never even heard of these books sorry
from,
EE

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 05:20 PM
Well, let's give a physical description, shall we?

True Faerie are tiny humanoids that stand between 1' to 1'7" tall, and weigh between 10 and 35 lbs, with males noticeably heavier than females, but not taller. They are slender, with gently angular facial features and pointed ears, with slim, greaceful antannae protruding from their foreheads. They tend towards fair hair and light eyes, though the occasional Fae is born dark-haired, with very little facial hair if any at all. They prefer either loose robes or tight leathers and chains that don't restrict flight from their two pairs of dragonfly wings, and generally regard anyone they meet either with cold disdain or wildly passionate emotion - that, indeed, is the easiest way to tell young Fae from old.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 06:06 PM
Looking at Imp's pixie argument, I'm very much inclined to agree with him - I mean, holy hell, look at that!

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-19, 07:39 PM
And that statement alone reveals how little you know about balancing/the L.A. system. There will inevitably be the player who decides to break that mold, or the NPC, or whatever, and you need to consider that, not just say, "Well, they're all casters and casters are borked so up the L.A.". There are plenty of drawbacks, not the least of which is that con penalty.

Borked? Anyway... If you decide, Ira, to play something that is stupid such as a True Faerie fighter, it's your fault. That alone does not make the race worth less LA. Look again.

Tiny size is unusual, making it worth a point of LA. +2 attacks and AC, +8 Hide... Flight is another point, because you need never come off the ceiling (or 70ft in the air). The ability scores, although they net out to -2, are worth another point. Their distribution makes you have VERY high dex and int scores. Str and Con getting hit is bad, sure, but when you play the race in an optimized manner you will not care.

Observe: TF wizard. Flies, say, 50ft up at all times, or on the ceiling. Ridonkulous AC with size bonuses, Dex, and buffs. Low HP, offset in part by False Life spell (since you don't need Fly or Levitate). Low concentration, but who will be threatening you anyway? Your Scorching Ray spells and such won't ever miss due to your +2 size bonus and insane Dex. And you say that's only worth +1 LA? It's better than the drow, for Celestia's sake!

I say +3, as it is not entirely comparable with the pixie at +4.

-E3

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 08:10 PM
Okay, info from Savage Species supports the +1/+2 argument, first. Second, Tiny is more a penalty than a bonus - they need to pay extra to get equipment for their size. They can't carry -****-. They get a little bonus to AC and to hit, but it ain't much. They have absolutely -no- HP - a Fireball, or Magic Missle, or someone else's Scorching Ray, or that dude with a longbow and Rapid Shot will cut them down to size right quick.

You can't make an argument that involves the Fae using spells to overcome its penalties because any race can do that. Hell, the aforementioned Drow example just needs a cheap Potion of Fly and some spells to make my little Faerie into a chump, especially considering Drow SR.

Faeries get some SLAs. They get some nifty stat bonuses offset by penalties to the three most important stats in the game. They're stuck in caster classes, which, at best, get D8 hit die if they go Duskblade. Which means that they're absolutely screwed against anyone who has any way to hit them.

Now, let me post, for those who aren't aware of them, the Four Iron Laws of Homebrew Balancing -

1. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by its combo with Item X unless said custom material is specifically intended to combo with Item X (such as a Prestige Class that centers around the Hammer of Thunderbolts).
2. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall by judged by what you can do with Spell Y, because Spell Y can be cast by anyone, at any time, from any race. The exception to this rule is if Spell Y is a custom spell that belongs only to said custom material.
3. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by its interaction with Dip Class X, Template Y, Class Combo Z, or any combination of the exclusions mentioned by this rule and the previous two. The exception to this rule is if said custom material is statisitically bound to said restrictions (though how one designs material that forces the use of a dip class is beyond most people's comprehension).
4. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by how broken you can make it with Cleric or Druid, because even a Smurf could break Cleric or Druid. The exception to this rule is any custom material that specifically benefits Clerics or Druids (by mention of their class name, such as, "+1 to Cleric caster level,"

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-19, 08:18 PM
Tiny size more penalty than bonus? I beg to differ.

TF stores will stock standard-price Tiny equipment, I'd say.

They can carry more, comparatively, than any Med. creature can. Carrying cap goes down by 3/4 per size, while items weigh 1/2 less. That means that for every size down you go, you can carry more appropriately-sized gear.

Your argument for easy killability ( :P ) is kind of moot. Who's going to hit them with that scorching ray, anyway? Or even see them? I mean, why shoot that pigeon?

I stand by +3.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-19, 08:25 PM
Keep in mind, if they're shapeshifted into a non-humanoid form, there goes all non-stilled spellcasting.

Sure, a TF store will stock stuff for them, but they can't pick up anything from outside those stores - other people's money, items, magic, all useless to them. Hell, if a TF finds Larloch's Spellbook, how the hell is she gonna carry it? Any items for their party are USELESS to them with the exception of ones that auto-resize.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-10-20, 12:40 AM
I second the +1 LA, because of the very interesting synergies the class has. The True Faerie's ability bonuses emphasize all the good parts of arcane caster and skillmonkey classes, along with, to a lesser extent, their special abilities. However, the race just as strongly emphasizes the weak points of the classes; namely low HP and a complete deficiency in damage-dealing sans magic. Sure they'll have a +3 on their save DCs for wizard spells; but Protection from Arrows, Energy Resistance, and Shield become baseline survival tools.

The True Faerie wizard seems to end up being the sort of character that's the party's big gun and major liability. He requires a meat shield at all times and a healstick at a round's notice. Would be great for scouting missions, though. The wings might make it LA +2...hrm. Definitely not more than that, though.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-20, 04:48 AM
True Faerie: Fly Speed, 20ft, Perfect Maneuverability
Pixie: Fly Speed, 60ft, Good Maneuverability

True Faerie: 5ft land speed, Tiny size (Must enter square to attack, gets AoO'd - no reach)
Pixie: 20ft land speed, Small size (Has a reach of 5ft, doesn't have to take an AoO in order to get into melee range)

True Faerie: 3 SLAs, with major limitations (Invis 1/10 minutes, Shapechange [roughly same size, same weight], Charm Person 1/day)
Pixie: 11-12 SLAs (Greater Invisibility constant, lesser confusion, dancing lights, detect chaos, dispel magic, entangle, permanent image, optional Otto's irresistable dance 1/day)

True Faerie: No Special QUalities except Magic-Bound, which is a penalty if not playing a magic-user.
Pixie: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility (see above), SR 15+Class Levels

True Faerie: +2 Size AC, +2 Size Attack, -8 Grapple
Pixie: +1 Size AC, +1 Natural Armor, +1 Size Attack, -4 grapple

True Faerie: Does it get darkvision or low-light vision?
Pixie: Low-light vision

True Faerie: +6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Con, -6 Str, -2 Wis
Pixie: -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.

Why am I comparing it to Pixie? It's the closest in fluff, and in the SRD.

Now the Pixie has an LA of +4, +6 if it can cast Otto's Irresistible Dance; just LOOK at EVERYTHING it has. If people such as Wiz_the_Wizard were classifying it, it'd have an LA of +10.

True Faerie gets nothing even close in comparison to what Pixie does. The Pixie even trumps True Faerie in spellcasting.

Also, carrying capacity? Sample character I made had 2 Strength, carrying cap of 3 lbs. Even with Tiny equipment, that's a nearly insignificant amount of gear it can carry.

Small and smaller sizes are more a hindrance than a bonus; except in the case of Svirfneblin, but let's not talk about them.

So, let's discard, for the moment, the argument of the Pixie, and take the qualities of the race on their own.

According to the DMG, we can take the following statements as true:

INT Bonus: Equal to a Wisdom OR Charisma penalty

Dex Bonus: Equal to a Strength OR Constitution OR Intelligence and Charisma OR Intelligence and Wisdom OR Intelligence and Charisma penalty

CHA Bonus: Equal to a Intelligence OR Wisdom penalty

Let's take them one at a time:
+6 Dex: Equal to a -6 STR Penalty (+0 LA)
+4 Int: Not equal to a -2 Wis penalty. (+1/2 LA)
+2 Cha: Has no penalty equivalent (+1 LA)
-6 Con: Equal to a +2 Int, +2 Cha, and another +2; but that's a +2 that doesn't exist. (-1/2 LA)
(Going off something I read in some splatbook, I think it was, on 3.5E creating races: Every +2 is worth 1/2 LA, every -2 worth -1/2 LA. I tend to merge the DMG guidelines for penalties with that.)

So far we have a +1 LA total.

Now let's throw in the SLAs:
Shapechange 1/round: Worth a solid +1 LA.
Invisibility 1/10 minutes: Worth a +1/4 LA due to the usefulness, but also the limitation.
Charm Person 1/day: Worth +1/2 LA on its own.

And now the rest:
Size: Tiny (+2 Size AC, Attack, -8 Grapple): +1/2 LA (1/4 for every size cat below medium, I believe)

Speed: 5ft -1 1/4 LA (-1/4 for every 5ft increment below 30, isn't it?)
Natural Flight: +1/4 LA
Fly Speed: 20ft (+1/4 for every 5ft increment): +1 LA
Fly Maneuverability: Perfect, +1 LA
Reach: 0ft (-1 LA, I think: Having to provoke an AoO every time you want to get into melee range isn't pretty).

I could be off on a few figures, but it comes out to a +1 1/4 LA with those figures. I'd call it at +2, just to finish off some things I may have missed.

Edit: AGH! I forgot to calculate the Fly 20ft. +2 1/4 LA. Not possible to round it up, so it becomes an even +2, total.

Edit Edit: I realize this method would actually _have_ the Pixie at a +10/+12 LA or so, so apologies to Wiz_the_Wizard :P

Edit Edit Edit: Gareth, when are you going to run a campaign someone can play this in? I'm itching to play a Psion/Sorc/Cerebromancer for some reason :P

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 10:27 AM
Look at the rules in Savage Species, that might help you a bit more :P

Also, pixies have an artificially low L.A. due to racial hit die.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 05:18 PM
A 1st level pixie gets to exchange that HD for a class level. Check the MM.

boomwolf
2007-10-20, 06:02 PM
the fact pixie is overpowered does not mean its ok to overpower this race.
LA +3. its simply good (the walk speed is mute, you will always fly, or be carried by a party member, you are only about 15 lb. with equipment anyway.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 06:13 PM
Oh? Seen Deep Gnomes lately? Or other races with an L.A. of 3 or 4?

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:16 PM
Re: +3 LA

Thank you!

Deep gnomes... I'd actually pronounce the Svirfneblin and the Truly Frikkin-verpowered-AE equal.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 06:17 PM
...Wait, huh?

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:19 PM
See edit above.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 06:25 PM
Oh my GOD.

I'M LOSING PATIENCE HERE! IF YOU WANT TO PROVE THE RACE IS OVERPOWERED, POST A GOD DAMN BUILD, OKAY? 'Cause right now, Imp's argument IS THE ONLY ONE WITH STATS AND RULES BACKING IT UP.

*Vein throbs*

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:32 PM
No time. A build is a useless example, anyway... It only shows that your build is good, not the race in question. Put this up on the WotC boards as well... See what they think.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 06:35 PM
Then at the very least GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BACK YOUR POINTS UP ASIDE FROM VAGUE BOOGEYMAN ARGUMENTS AND THE SAME ANNOYING REHTORIC, BECAUSE I'M DAMN NEAR BURSTING RIGHT NOW! MY PATIENCE IS -ENDED-

Cogwheel
2007-10-20, 06:43 PM
Actually, I find myself going along with the "put in on the WotC boards" argument. Can't do any harm, anyway. Character Optimization boards, even - they're the ones to ask about for relative balance. Right now, you're saying that everything it's compared to is overpowered and such, which seems to more or less be sinking into "because I said so" territory. I suggest you find some actual evidence rather than "this is bad, and I know you compared it to all sorts of stuff, but that's bad too, so it doesn't count". What do you want it compared to, than? Whatever you do, give a real argument, not this mess.

And a build only proves how good your build is? No, get a build that's good for both sides of the comparison (like Imp did with pixies) and try with both races for optimum balancing results.

Personally, with that low speed, I'm not sure even how much flying counts - I'd put it at +2. I mean, +1 is a bit low, that's for goliaths and stuff.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:44 PM
Then at the very least GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BACK YOUR POINTS UP ASIDE FROM VAGUE BOOGEYMAN ARGUMENTS AND THE SAME ANNOYING REHTORIC, BECAUSE I'M DAMN NEAR BURSTING RIGHT NOW! MY PATIENCE IS -ENDED-

:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Ira's mad! Flee for your life! ((Why don't you back up your points first?))

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:46 PM
Personally, with that low speed, I'm not sure even how much flying counts - I'd put it at +2. I mean, +1 is a bit low, that's for goliaths and stuff.

Thing is, it's faster than the average Tiny creature and it means that you need never touch the ground. I'd say that's worth it.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 06:48 PM
:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Ira's mad! Flee for your life! ((Why don't you back up your points first?))

Because Imp already has for me, fool - if you bother to actually read his posts.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 06:52 PM
I did. I find them inconclusive, proving only that Pixies are too powerful.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 07:00 PM
Then you obviously weren't paying close enough attention, but fine - if you wanna play this game, I'll open up Savage Species and we'll end this. So, L.A. Breakdown -

Tiny Size +0 (fun fact, Small is -1)
Dual Type w/Vulnerabilities -1 (True Faerie gets no bonuses for its types and is in fact more vulnerable for having two)
Fly Speed (w/maneuverability) +1 and 1/2
SLA's (Collective, w/limits) +1
Magic Bound - Ad Hoc -1 (I did something similar with my Arcadian Rebel's Curse of Arcadia penalty).
Uneven Stats with large bonuses and penalties - +0 (would be -1 if Wis penalty was higher)

Total L.A. +1 and 1/2

Strong +1 or Weak +2

Cogwheel
2007-10-20, 07:01 PM
And Deep Gnomes, and homebrew, and cats, and chocolate, and anything else that may prove inconvenient, right? Oh, and the colour blue.

The wings just make it possible to play one without waddling away at 5 ft./round. Making a race playable should not be +1 LA by itself, whatever savage species says.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-20, 07:11 PM
Tiny Size +0 (fun fact, Small is -1)

Small is +0. Increased carrying capacity, AC and attack bonuses, size bonus to hide... Tiny is unusual, defined as +1. Same as large, except instead of reach it gets +2 attacks and AC and +8 hide (instead of -8).

Dual Type w/Vulnerabilities -1 (True Faerie gets no bonuses for its types and is in fact more vulnerable for having two)

Okay.

Fly Speed (w/maneuverability) +1 and 1/2

Sure.

SLA's (Collective, w/limits) +1

Good.

Magic Bound - Ad Hoc -1 (I did something similar with my Arcadian Rebel's Curse of Arcadia penalty).

No penalty is necessary. Face it, would you ever build a noncaster True Frikked-up?

Uneven Stats with large bonuses and penalties - +0 (would be -1 if Wis penalty was higher)

+1. The unusual breakdown makes it beneficial, rather than a penalty.

Total L.A. +1 and 1/2

Strong +1 or Weak +2

Total LA: +2 and 1/2.

Very strong +2, somewhat weak +3.

This means set it at +3. Better to err on the side of caution.

Add SR of 11+levels, and you've got yourself a solid +3 race.

Make the Dex bonus +4 and you have a solid +2.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-20, 07:19 PM
Okay, let me re-iterate - Savage. Species. The book I have open right now - the definitive guide to race creation - puts tiny at +0 and diminutive at +2. Small is -1.

Magic Bound gets the ad hoc because there -will- be the player who plays the noncaster true Faerie at some point (likely me, because I'm masochistic like that) with some character goal in mind, or maybe just out of spite.

The uneven stats gets the +0 because the penalties are to important stats - they lower two seperate saves, all your important wis-based skills, and punch their hit points right in the liver. Furthermore, any breakdown is beneficial - hell, Drow +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Con is friggin' -beneficial-, and to be frank, put a Drow caster against a Fae one and the Drow's got an advantage on them.

Look at some +1 and +2 races for comparison - Aasimar, for example, who get the benefits of the Outsider (Native) type, darkvision, three resistances, no stat penalties, an SLA, and skill bonuses. Then there's the aforementioned Drow. Somewhere between there is where my Fae falls in

RelentlessImp
2007-10-21, 12:29 AM
I really need to pick up Savage Species.

Anyways, there's no need to get angry at people; Wiz is posting his opinion, even as I am.

Let's take a larger control group than Pixie and compare them:
(I'm only going to list the more attractive sides of the races)

Aasimar: +1 LA
*+2 Wis, +2 Cha, no penalties
*A few 1/day SLAs

Tiefling: +1 LA
*+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha
*A few 1/day SLAs
*Resistance 5/- Electricity, Acid and Fire

Drow: +2 LA
*+2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Con
*A few SLAs, 1/day
*SR 11+Character Level

Duergar: +2 LA
*+2 Con, -4 Cha
*Immunities: Paralysis, Phantasms, Poisons
*2 SLAs 1/day

Svirfneblin: +3 LA
*+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str, -4 Cha
*3 SLAs 1/day
*Permanant Non-Detection
*+4 Dodge AC to all
*SR 11+Character Level

Orog (Deep Orc): +2 LA
*+6 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha

Whisper Gnome: +0 LA
(I hate this race... I love Gnomes, but Whisper Gnome annoys me, see below for why :P)
*+2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Str, -2 Cha
*Speed 30ft (For a SMALL CREATURE!)
*SLA 1/day: silence, w/ 10+CHA: ghost sound, mage hand, message

Take all that, in the range of +0 to +3, and compare to True Faerie

True Faerie: +X LA
*+6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Str, -6 Con, -2 Wis
*Land speed 5ft, Fly 20ft (Perfect)
*1 1/day SLA (Charm Person), 2 at will: Shapechange, Invisibility (30 min max, 10 minutes between Invisibilities).

Compare with the more popular +0-+3 LA races and judge for yourself.

Edit: Fixed an error with Drow (+11/Character level? Min/maxers wish...)

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-21, 08:10 AM
You forgot the resistances on Aasimar, and the skill bonuses on both them and Tiefling :P

Ne0
2007-10-21, 08:23 AM
I like it. A lot. And I also support the +2 LA.

I've got only one question: Why the -2 Wisdom? You've explained it mechanic-wise, but I expect a creature that has witnessed the beginning of the universe would be pretty wise, no? :smallwink:

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-21, 08:39 AM
The older ones can get pretty wise, aye. However, Faeries as a race are cocky, overconfident, and reckless - they never think the enemy has the upper hand. How can they, when they've locked themselves away for so long and not even realized that the formerly lesser versions of Fey have evolved past them? Hence, the wisdom penalty.

Warlord JK
2007-10-21, 10:40 AM
Pretty good race here and for a while, Wiz wasn't making much of a good argument and seemed like only Imp knew what he was talking about. I'm more for the side of +1 LA or maybe +2. Wiz starting to get better though. I'd say give it +1 or +2, but no way does it make a +3 in my opinion.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-21, 01:47 PM
Try this on the WotC boards. Seriously. CharOP and Races, the both.

Vadin
2007-10-21, 02:50 PM
Just make sure you give him credit for actually making it.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-21, 02:51 PM
You forgot the resistances on Aasimar, and the skill bonuses on both them and Tiefling :P

I did say the _more attractive_ sides in parentheses above; ability score adjustments and SLAs and resistances are more important to those who want to optimize their character than anything else. But the resistances of the Aasimar completely slipped my mind (and I play them, Tieflings and Gnomes more often than not, which makes it a sad case of forgetfulness).

Also, WotC/Gleemax boards new terms are irritating. They can basically take anything you post on their boards and stick their IP on it, and sell it. Not really good terms of use, in my opinion.

EDIT:
Because someone's going to say 'Wha?' at the last bit:

By posting or submitting any text, images, designs, video, sound, code, data, lists, or other materials or information (such User-submitted content, collectively, "User Content") to or through a Site, including without limitation on any User profile page, you hereby irrevocably grant to Wizards, its affiliates and sublicensees, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable license, to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such User Content (in whole or in part) in any media and to incorporate the User Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed. The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such User Content, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction.

From: http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Default.aspx?doc=SiteLegalNotice - first paragraph beneath User Content

Edit Edit: Added some emphasis.

Dullyanna
2007-10-21, 08:47 PM
@RelentlessImp:I've never noticed. I find it just a wee bit disconcerting...

Anyway, I have to agree with the OP and RelentlessImp on the +2 LA. If a faerie tries to flank Hurgh the dumbass ogre, he'll get one sneak attack in before the latter turns around and pinches the poor little bastard to death. Unless he turns invisible, in which he'll get a second chance to do negligible damage... and subsequently get swallowed whole.