PDA

View Full Version : Build advice lvl8+ for Arcane Trickster + Warlock (GOO Bladelock)

Alien4ngel
2019-11-18, 08:22 AM
Looking for advice on where to take this character concept from level 8.

High Elf, Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 3 / Warlock (Great Old One, Bladelock) 5. Running PHB & Xanathars (so no booming blade).

Started life as a rogue. Used the False Identity from a Charlatan background to play front-man for myself. Several cons impersonating clerics, largely because the cleric in our party sounded the most gullible and wealthy in their intro. Prestidigitation for a few laughs and 'lead looks like gold' tricks.

Arcane Trickster at 3, with Find Familiar for some help action sneak attacks and scouting (owl flyby). Invisible mage hand to disarm traps, pick locks, and reverse pickpocket incriminating evidence. Discovered that information is power - sometimes arcane, sometimes as leverage. Moved on to more sophisticated cons and started recruiting a network of informants. Started learning contract law.

Made a pact with a Great Old One, committing to acquire knowledge, and ensure it was used as effectively as possible. Mask of many faces (disguise self) invocation for infiltration and some false flag extortion. Bladelock with improved pact weapon (ranged pact weapon with +1) and thirsting blade (extra attack), to synergise with sneak attack. I was on the fence about GOO, but it best fit the concept and it turns out telepathy while invisible is amazing in a jam. Ritual caster at 7 for utility - mostly for identify and just slightly too late to prevent a cursed item plot twist.

Now that the core build is online, I'm not sure where to take this:

Rogue for sneak attack dps, uncanny dodge, and magical ambush
Warlock for the high level spells and more invocations
Keep it balanced

Any suggestions?

Level 1: Rogue 1
Charlatan background. High Elf cantrip: prestidigitation.

Level 2: Rogue 2

Level 3: Rogue 3 (Arcane Trickster)
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Message
Spells: Charm Person, Colour Spray, Find Familiar (any school)

Level 4: Rogue 3(AT) / Warlock 1 (GOO)
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Friends
Spells: Hex, Arms of Hador

Level 5: Rogue 3(AT) / Warlock 2 (GOO)
Invocations: Mask of Many Faces (disguise self), Eldritch Sight (detect magic)
Spells: Comprehend Languages

Level 6: Rogue 3(AT) / Warlock 3 (GOO-Blade Pact)
Invocations: Improved Pact Weapon (+1, longbow), (replace Eldritch Sight (detect magic))
Spells: Suggestion, Invisibility, (replace Arms of Hador)

Level 7: Rogue 3(AT) / Warlock 4 (GOO-Blade Pact)
Ritual Caster: Identify, Illusory Script
With DM discretion (not available RAW), copy known ritual spells into the ritual book.

Level 8: Rogue 3(AT) / Warlock 5 (GOO-Blade Pact)
Invocation: Thirsting Blade (extra attack)
Spells: Dispel Magic, Thunder step, (replace Comprehend Languages).

Misterwhisper
2019-11-18, 09:00 AM
You already have what you need from warlock so I would go more rogue.

Your RP sounds more like an Inquisitive kind of character than an arcane trickster.
An invisible pet from chain pact would be even better than the normal arcane trickster stuff.

I would say:

Chain Pact 3, Inquisitive 5. Then more Inquisitive.

Keravath
2019-11-18, 09:53 AM
I have a level 16 - arcane trickster 11/fey bladelock 5 which is very similar and a lot of fun. I decided to go rogue since it increases sneak attack and the benefits of rogue are quite useful. I have considered warlock 7 for 4th level spells (in particular greater invisibility for a fey warlock) but decided against it since rogue seemed more useful. Invocations are thirsting blade, improved pact weapon and devils sight (having disadvantage on perception checks in darkness if I don't have devils sight can be irritating when trying to find traps).

The level 9 arcane trickster ability that gives everyone disadvantage on saving throws against spells cast if the character is hidden is remarkable when you have some decent spells (like hypnotic pattern) and expertise in stealth to make it work. Even with the generally lower DC from boosting dex rather than cha - this can be extremely effective.

da newt
2019-11-18, 01:23 PM
Do you want to be ranged or Melee or face/skill monkey? What benefits your party the most?

For ranged do everything you can to max EB or go rogue SS and Xbow Xpert. For Melee = max shadow blade and max SA damage and carry a shield - stick and move.

I've had fun with Mask of Many Faces, expertise in Deception & Persuasion (& Intimidation), and then maxing EB for combat. I also think Mastermind pairs very well with MoMF and a familiar. I do enjoy a rogue.