View Full Version : DM Help New DM Looking For Some Advice

Name2020
2019-11-18, 11:51 AM
I am almost done building my first world and as a new DM I am looking for feedback.

I am basing my campaign around the Abyssal Plane and the demons that reside there. I am using the character Artorias from Dark Souls 1 as inspiration and was thinking of starting like this:

1. They travel to a town overrun with Demons from the Abyss. They are led by Manus (hehe dark souls reference) who is the new "king" of the Abyss. He sends a general to kill them, he turns them into an atomic paste as they are destroyed.
2. They all get resurrected one way or another and learn that the demons will destroy everything if they do not destroy Manus. He is currently on the 99th layer of the Abyssal Plane.
3. They need the Covenant of Artorias, a legendary Abyss Walker to traverse the Abyss. It is guarded by a legion of Abyss Walkers and the Great Grey Wolf Sif however.

Basically they have to become strong enough to get the Covenant and destroy Manus. They will collect magic and do mini-quests along the way to become stronger. It is pretty straightforward but I feel as though there may be flaws in its design, which is why I would love some feedback.

Zhorn
2019-11-18, 09:59 PM
As this is more looking for story advice than anything 5e specific, I'd suggest a request to move this thread up a level to just "Roleplaying", get more varied eyes on it. Or maybe ask the folks in "Homebrew>World Building".
More likely to catch the attention you want.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-18, 10:22 PM
I am almost done building my first world and as a new DM I am looking for feedback.

I am basing my campaign around the Abyssal Plane and the demons that reside there. I am using the character Artorias from Dark Souls 1 as inspiration and was thinking of starting like this:

1. They travel to a town overrun with Demons from the Abyss. They are led by Manus (hehe dark souls reference) who is the new "king" of the Abyss. He sends a general to kill them, he turns them into an atomic paste as they are destroyed.
2. They all get resurrected one way or another and learn that the demons will destroy everything if they do not destroy Manus. He is currently on the 99th layer of the Abyssal Plane.
3. They need the Covenant of Artorias, a legendary Abyss Walker to traverse the Abyss. It is guarded by a legion of Abyss Walkers and the Great Grey Wolf Sif however.

Basically they have to become strong enough to get the Covenant and destroy Manus. They will collect magic and do mini-quests along the way to become stronger. It is pretty straightforward but I feel as though there may be flaws in its design, which is why I would love some feedback.

What do the players have for backstories? Any of them have a nemesis who could be in league and become a Warlock of Manus?

I enjoy campaigns where you KNOW there is an evil boss out there but have something to reasonably safely accomplish before the big bad guy fight.