PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Tinker Concept and Question

Jack Bitters
2019-11-18, 01:44 PM
So in an upcoming game I'm planning on playing a gnome tinkerer character with an overwhelming love of swords. I want him to mess around with single-use devices that he can slap on the blades to give a little combat boost. Stuff like exploding swords, fire blades, speed-assisted swings, etc. I figured the easiest way to do it was to adopt the paladin chassis and reflavour the smite spells as using a nonmagical/magical device on the sword. My question is, though, would it be appropriate to ask to switch the paladin's Charisma dependence to Intelligence? And would it break anything mechanically?

nickl_2000
2019-11-18, 01:52 PM
In general I find that Intelligence is a weaker stat than charisma. More ability checks are called for with Cha than Int in most games.

If someone were to approach me in game and ask for it I would allow it with some changes. I would need more time to research if you were looking to multiclass though, there may be some things in there that would be broken. As a single class though, I would allow it.
1) You cast with Int
2) Anytime you use Cha for a Paladin ability it uses Int instead
3) You get Wis and Int saves instead of Wis and Cha saves
4) Trade out charisma skill choices at character creation for intelligence skill choices

CheddarChampion
2019-11-18, 02:00 PM
Smite spells reflavored does work well.
But what about the auras, other spells, lay on hands, divine sense, etc?

Arkhios
2019-11-18, 08:07 PM
Just wait 'til Eberron: Rising From the Last War is released (today on November 19th, 2019).

Artificer Battle Smith might suit your needs pretty well.