PDA

View Full Version : How Many Character Sheets Do You Have In Total?

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-18, 08:13 PM
To me, I have 200+ character sheets (D&D 3.5, Pathfinder 1st Edition, Vampire: Masquerade 1st Edition.) Most of the are unfinished and some of them are complete. So how many character do you have in total for each different RPG?

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-18, 08:50 PM
Myth weavers had a data loss event a couple of years ago and cost me all the sheets from before then and I was between groups at the time too. I'm back up to about 60ish for D&D 3e. Since that's the only TTRPG that I play that's it.

I don't have any of the paper ones from back in the day because of some issues with life being hard.

I'm sure that number will continue to balloon over time and it will certainly start to grow when I resume DMing.

False God
2019-11-18, 10:55 PM
I don't really save my sheets. I've probably got about a dozen laying around, and like, 11 of them are for the same campaign world for the same DM. I'm really tired of rerolling...

Knaight
2019-11-19, 01:29 AM
I honestly don't know. My RPG record keeping isn't exactly what you'd call methodical, and it's just about all sheets for my players anyways - which tend to stick around for a few campaigns in one of my RPG folders, before eventually finding their way into the recycling bin. A handful end up with players instead (on the rare occasion they want them).

So, estimation time - I've run RPGS off and on for 14 years. Allowing for off, call that 10 years active. The average campaign lasts for about 6 months, and probably has 4 players, so call that 80 sheets. Assuming 1.5 active campaigns at once that gets bumped up to 120. Then there's the one shots, which are an entirely separate category (though really abortive campaigns essentially go there), which I ran weekly for two years, again off and on. That was more off than on, because logistics is a nightmare, so call it 40 games total. Those tended to run towards 6-7 character sheets, though with overlap I suspect it's about 230. So 350 total.

Allowing for the rare cases where players wanted to keep their sheet, I'd say about 300 ended up in the records. Given my record keeping, still having 20% seems plausible. Call it 60.

Aotrs Commander
2019-11-19, 07:54 AM
Surprisingly few apparently by comparison to everyone else, considering I've been playing for thirty years. Off the top of my head, I can think of only about maybe twenty parties - pretty sure less than thirty, i mkight not have remmebered them all off the top of my head (22, maybe) that I have run over the years (since the DM always has all the character sheets), and that includes stuff like one-shot and very small parties we used on family holidays, during the years I could con my family into playing a game while we were on holiday.

So, definitely somewhere north of 100, but probably south of 150 (without counting - some of the parties I'm thinking of were only four characters,, but most are 6-8, and the biggest was up to 14 characters, plus a couple if we're counting extra character sheets for the odd one-off PC). I may be under-0estimating a little bit, plus odds and evens, but certainly in that order of magnitude.

Should be noted, though, that as DM, I have a very low PC mortality rate (well, permenant death, anyway, past level 9 in D&D...); my rate has now passed digits of one hand; but only if we count NPC-party members and/or "parties we stopped playing twenty years ago and that the BBEG of the 20-year old parties finale-BBEG claimed he'd killed characters from off-screen." Actually if we want to get technical, that Evil Monologue probably doubled my body-count by itself...

Imbalance
2019-11-19, 09:22 AM
For tabletop? I count four on paper, three digital.

If you want to include video games where the PC is up to the player, I'd say at least 20 but probably closer to 50.

GrayDeath
2019-11-19, 11:31 AM
One more than I need. ^^ Always.

Kaptin Keen
2019-11-19, 12:25 PM
What an interesting question. With 30-some years of playing, I have fewer sheets than one might assume. I guess I've played 20 succesful campaigns over all that time - and maybe 30 that faded, or never started, or whatever. I have only very rarely made new characters for the same campaign, so I'd say around 50.

Quertus
2019-11-19, 12:53 PM
Tough call. I've played hundreds of characters just in 2e D&D, maybe closing in on 1,000 overall (but definitely closer to 500 that I have any chance of remembering). Definitely in the thousands if you count NPCs, and characters I haven't played.

Some characters have multiple character sheets (these days, any new character will have at least 2 - one physical, one digital) as appropriate for their progression over the years (or decades!). Some of these digital sheets get copied from computer to computer; others are left "in storage" in perpetuity.

And, physical or digital, things get lost.

So, how many do I have? Really depends on how you count. Somewhere between 100 and 10,000? I made 4-14 just yesterday/today, depending on how you count. Although I'm not sure what I did with one of them…

Mastikator
2019-11-19, 01:20 PM
None, I don't save my sheets and I'm currently LFG, not IG

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-19, 05:06 PM
Tough call. I've played hundreds of characters just in 2e D&D, maybe closing in on 1,000 overall (but definitely closer to 500 that I have any chance of remembering). Definitely in the thousands if you count NPCs, and characters I haven't played.

Some characters have multiple character sheets (these days, any new character will have at least 2 - one physical, one digital) as appropriate for their progression over the years (or decades!). Some of these digital sheets get copied from computer to computer; others are left "in storage" in perpetuity.

And, physical or digital, things get lost.

So, how many do I have? Really depends on how you count. Somewhere between 100 and 10,000? I made 4-14 just yesterday/today, depending on how you count. Although I'm not sure what I did with one of them…10,000?! Are you sure it isn't 10,000,000?

Kaptin Keen
2019-11-19, 05:15 PM
10,000?! Are you sure it isn't 10,000,000?

I've seen this sort of thing before. So one morning, a friend of mine decides to experiment with building .. I dunno, something, let's say an archer bard. Could be anything, he's the optimizer, not me. So he builds a bard, and bases it on a few feats or spells or whatever. Saves that, thinks to himself: 'Oh, but what if I did ...' - makes changes, saves another copy. Then he goes 'or I could ...' and makes a third.

I've seen this, on his hard drive. Like, say it was Endymion, a character of his. So there'd be a list of sheets named:

Endymion
Endymion 1
Endymion 2
Endymion 3a - rogue dip
Endymion 3b - variant, no spells

And so on, you get the picture. He could make maybe 20 sheets a day, just slight variations of some build he wanted to perfect. Do that every day for a year, you're already at over 7000 sheets. And like me, this guy played for 30+ years.

Quertus
2019-11-20, 08:03 AM
10,000?! Are you sure it isn't 10,000,000?

I've seen this sort of thing before. So one morning, a friend of mine decides to experiment with building .. I dunno, something, let's say an archer bard. Could be anything, he's the optimizer, not me. So he builds a bard, and bases it on a few feats or spells or whatever. Saves that, thinks to himself: 'Oh, but what if I did ...' - makes changes, saves another copy. Then he goes 'or I could ...' and makes a third.

I've seen this, on his hard drive. Like, say it was Endymion, a character of his. So there'd be a list of sheets named:

Endymion
Endymion 1
Endymion 2
Endymion 3a - rogue dip
Endymion 3b - variant, no spells

And so on, you get the picture. He could make maybe 20 sheets a day, just slight variations of some build he wanted to perfect. Do that every day for a year, you're already at over 7000 sheets. And like me, this guy played for 30+ years.

Yup. And, don't forget, in taking about it depending on how you counted, I could be counting character sheets for NPCs I have never played.

And, craziest, since I use rolled HP, Arangee can make two (or twenty) otherwise identical NPCs technically different. (Although naming them, or giving them any characteristics beyond the character sheet whatsoever, could do that, too.)

LordCdrMilitant
2019-11-20, 09:45 PM
To me, I have 200+ character sheets (D&D 3.5, Pathfinder 1st Edition, Vampire: Masquerade 1st Edition.) Most of the are unfinished and some of them are complete. So how many character do you have in total for each different RPG?

I don't know how I'd end up with that many.

That said, I have played like a dozen or so different characters. I GM mostly, and sometimes keep my PC's sheets if they want me to.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-11-21, 07:39 AM
In my various computer folders, looks like...

~50 complete 3.5 characters
~60 complete 5e characters
~30 complete Pathfinder characters
6 Exalted 3e characters
4 Fate characters
~100 Mutants and Masterminds 3e characters.
A few dozen paper sheets and character sheets left with me/sent to me by groups I'm DMing that I'm not bothering to count right now
And of course that's not even touching NPCs, who can vary from complete built-like-a-pc sheets to abbreviated statblocks to "PL 11 with rock powers."
...sheesh

DigoDragon
2019-11-21, 10:39 AM
Physical sheets? I have exactly one, a d&d 3.5 druid cowgirl from a campaign that never got past the first session. That was six months ago and I only recently found the sheet cleaning off my bookshelf.

For digital sheets I have six right now. Three are in active games right now. The other three, their campaigns recently folded/cancelled. I generally delete unused digital sheets after a month or two of inactivity.

Myth weavers had a data loss event a couple of years ago and cost me all the sheets from before then and I was between groups at the time too.

What amused me when that event happened is that now I have an old sheet from that era that I CAN'T delete for some reason. I've messaged their help desk to get rid of it, but they lack in helping. :P

Most people lost their sheets. Mine became immortal.

weckar
2019-11-25, 12:45 PM
Endymion 3b - variant, no spellsBlasphemy.
(since the DM always has all the character sheets) Is this a thing people actually do??
Myth weavers had a data loss event a couple of years ago and cost me all the sheets from before then and I was between groups at the time too.Cost me my favorite character ever; a barbarian wizard. sigh... Still use their services, though.

Right now, I have... 4 sheets? 2 D&D, 1 Cypher and 1 Shadowrun.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-25, 01:06 PM
Blasphemy. Is this a thing people actually do??Cost me my favorite character ever; a barbarian wizard. sigh... Still use their services, though.

One data loss event in all the years its been up. It's forgivable, if a bit distressing. I still use 'em too.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-11-25, 02:51 PM
Is this a thing people actually do??
Yeah. Usually it's out of convenience/"I don't trust myself not to forget my sheet."

Knaight
2019-11-25, 04:37 PM
Yeah. Usually it's out of convenience/"I don't trust myself not to forget my sheet."

That's why my groups do it - though it's less "the GM" and more "the host, who is often but not always the GM". I've run plenty of games which were hosted by one of the players, where all the sheets were stored there, including my GM notes.

weckar
2019-11-25, 06:27 PM
Fair. I guess I just prefer to hang on to my things myself :)

Aotrs Commander
2019-11-28, 01:38 PM
Fair. I guess I just prefer to hang on to my things myself :)

Which is fine - one player in our group does too - but the rule is you just have to provide an (up-to-date) copy of your sheet for when you aren't going to turn up this week (however you would want to do that), because, nevermind the immersion-shattering thing of people popping in and out of existence (just... no, sorry, that's not a thing I am prepared to cope with) - on the purely practical level, a good chunk of the time, the session will break mid-combat, because that's what happens when you only play for about two hours per week. (Double-especially when playing something like 3.x/PF1 where the DM will have carefully balanced everything for fighting the whole party.) And there is thus a spare sheet there if, for some reason, you are late at work/forget/have to take family members somewhere etc etc. which otherwise leaves you sans sheet at meet-up time.