PDA

View Full Version : Racial Classes for 5e

stewstew5
2019-11-19, 11:26 AM
Inspired by the racial paragon classes of 3.5, I wrote classes for each of the core races in 5e

Racial Classes (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1WruAeR_S)

Not all of them are complete, but I consider the Dwarf, Dragonborn, and the Half-Orc to be, although every class could use some more flavor/exploration features

This is what I was trying to achieve with each

Dwarf- Sturdy fighter with a strong leaning toward dwarven weapons and strategies, and no fear of those larger than themselves
Elf- An arcane spellsword with more creative uses of their magic (missing some magic maneuvers and flavour features, but also close to done)
Halfling- very lucky agile and sneaky guerilla combatant who interrupts enemy formations
Human- a versatile class that can do just about anything well, but can also mix it up if they need to
Dragonborn- a powerful battlefield presence that focuses on their elemental breath weapon
Gnome- I have no clue. I'm completely lost here
Half-Elf- not written down, but a very socially talented semi-skill monkey spellcaster
Half-Orc- a simple and straightforward combat class focused on doing big damage in few attacks
Tiefling- a lot a lot of low-power magic, as well as many alternative ways to expend spell slots

Deadfire182
2019-11-19, 02:38 PM
These are all a really neat idea to have, and though they may not follow the 5e "trend" of complete player freedom, they are very good concepts. As an idea, you could use the different subraces to make subclasses, like a mountain dwarf or a black dragonborn. Also, if these were to become full player classes, they definitely need to have more features, though the ones you have are cool already.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-11-19, 03:58 PM
Great throwback:)
I was working on racial subclasses for monsters recently.

Here’s a link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VGKs9V2jLekvMReMTdP_yX7PuuOBecTNc8KTmQUtVCE

stewstew5
2019-11-19, 04:54 PM
These are all a really neat idea to have, and though they may not follow the 5e "trend" of complete player freedom, they are very good concepts. As an idea, you could use the different subraces to make subclasses, like a mountain dwarf or a black dragonborn. Also, if these were to become full player classes, they definitely need to have more features, though the ones you have are cool already.

the thought of subclasses did cross my mind, but I'm not writing 2-3 for every race, and very few different subraces are distinct enough to warrant/sustain different subclasses. And i agree there should be more features, but they'd be mostly flavour and exploration and less directly mechanical