PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with Twilight Cleric for Eberron?

Wasp
2019-11-19, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone!

With the new Eberron Setting release I would like to create a new character for that world. As I am also very intrigued by the Unearthed Arcana Twilight Cleric I would like to use that subclass as my main character class (multiclassing allowed, but maybe not the best for playtest material)

Other than that I have no other major ideas for the character yet, except maybe going further into the "stealthy urban character" direction. I would like to take a race that really utilizes the Eberron background, so a Dragonmarked House or one of the new races would be interesting (but any other would be fine).

Let's assume that besides being the main healer I could go any route regarding melee/ranged/spells/skills as I would be the "5th character".

Rules Variations: Point Buy, UA material and all books allowed (including the alternative class features and Ravnica), 1 free feat at first level

jaappleton
2019-11-19, 05:11 PM
Well, the best way to optimize something is to not double-dip when it comes to features. For example, as a Cleric, you already have Healing Word and Twilight grants access to Faerie Fire, so let’s avoid races or such that would already grant you those.

Twilight is an odd mix of defense and utility. So let’s push what you’re already good at!

You’ll want Wisdom, of course. And nobody ever complained about getting too much Constitution. Dex is helpful, even to those in Heavy Armor.

(Note: Just because you get Heavy Armor proficiency doesn’t mean you should feel obligated to use it)

So, a few suggestions:

Mark of Passage Human nets you a ton of mobility options for your spell list, and +2 Dex and +1 any (Wisdom). Darkvision is given to you by your Domain, so no problem there. Go Light or Medium Armor here, and focus on movement and control. Enemy Mage in the back giving you trouble? Grab the Fighter and Dimension Door right to him. Need to sneak around? The party Rogue will love you for Pass Without Trace. Find yourself in a jam? Misty Step away.

Alternatively, Mark of Sentinel Human. Really embrace the heavy armor aspect here. Counterspell to strike fear in Mages, take a few hits for allies. Clerics are fully capable of standing on the front lines.... Just not 24/7 ;)

Finally, you don’t get Wisdom but the spells from Mark of Shadow Elf are pretty darn great. Something to consider.

Wasp
2019-11-20, 10:15 AM
Mark of Passage Human nets you a ton of mobility options for your spell list, and +2 Dex and +1 any (Wisdom). Darkvision is given to you by your Domain, so no problem there. Go Light or Medium Armor here, and focus on movement and control. Enemy Mage in the back giving you trouble? Grab the Fighter and Dimension Door right to him. Need to sneak around? The party Rogue will love you for Pass Without Trace. Find yourself in a jam? Misty Step away.

<snip>

Finally, you don’t get Wisdom but the spells from Mark of Shadow Elf are pretty darn great. Something to consider.

Thank you so much for the explanations and ideas! I like both the Mark of Passage Human as well as the Shadow Elf idea, although there may be a little too much overlap for the Elf? From the sneaky vibes i kind of prefer the Shadow Elf (has kind of a Shadow Monk feel in a way), but no Wis bonus and
not being able to derive as much from Eyes of the Night, as well as darkness, invisibility and greater invisibility being already on the list, it seems a bit challenging...

Hmmm...

Any (other) opinions?