PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepherd -> Lilitu

Yogibear41
2019-11-19, 05:03 PM
I have a CE Wildshape Ranger/Planar Shepherd (of the abyss) cohort.

If she wildshapes into a Lilitu can she prepare and cast spells as a 9th level cleric?

Would she need to rest for 8 hours in Lilitu form then spend 1 hour preparing the spells to be able to cast them? Or could she just spend 1 hour preparing them after wildshaping?

liquidformat
2019-11-19, 05:09 PM
No wild shape works as polymorph spell which only gives access to extraordinary special attacks

Maat Mons
2019-11-19, 05:29 PM
Actually, 9th level of Planar Shepherd adds gives you all extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities when you Wild Shape into an outsider native to your chosen plane.

I don't know what kind of ability spellcasting is though. I remember long debates on this topic.

Tzardok
2019-11-19, 05:40 PM
Spellcasting is none of those, so the Planar Shepard won't get it.

Feantar
2019-11-19, 07:37 PM
Spellcasting is none of those, so the Planar Shepard won't get it.

Lilitu spellcasting is weird - it's (Ex). So I think Planar Sheperds do get it, if level 9.

Yogibear41
2019-11-19, 08:30 PM
Lilitu spellcasting is weird - it's (Ex). So I think Planar Sheperds do get it, if level 9.

It is specifically listed as (Ex) in the description.

Thurbane
2019-11-19, 08:53 PM
For balance reasons, I think it would be reasonable to have to spend the normal amount of rest/meditation/memorisation time to get the spells that would normally be associated with divine casting.

You know, it's almost like when designers create monsters, their first thought is not to stop to think how PCs can exploit the monsters abilities. :smallconfused:

icefractal
2019-11-20, 03:41 AM
If it's Cleric casting, you don't need to rest at all, but it does need to be at a particular time of day. Knowledge (planes) should reveal what time of day that is.

Yogibear41
2019-11-20, 03:46 AM
Wanted it more for utility reasons when you need a certain spell during downtime or non-combat encounters. Tossing around ideas for my half-demon claw lock's cohort. Would just be him and the cohort, thought a CE ranger/planar shepherd would fit appropriately with that theme, and the "cleric" casting would help fill in some holes in the party(me, myself, and cohort) composition.

Psyren
2019-11-20, 11:54 AM
Just because you can cast spells like a cleric doesn't mean you'll have all those spells prepared when you transform. Which then raises the question of how you get them - who you're praying to, and whether you get the spells you asked for.