PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Patron - Malignant Nanotech

englishelf
2019-11-20, 05:49 AM
Update #2:

originally tried to make it too complicated with new mechanics. newest iteration:

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkUXx0NnB

Update: originally thought this would make a good wizard subclass, but as per suggestions, Warlock is undoubtedly the way to go. I've update the page to reflect the new subclass. Thanks for the advice and I'm always open to improvements.

Original Post:

Some background:

Its for a low magic campaign in a custom world BUT no limits on PC design. Inspired loosely by Cowboys Vs Aliens. I was thinking a Wizard Subclass (perhaps better as Sorcerer but not sure about metamagic), the PC is an alien who has tech thats so advanced its appears to be magic.

I havent changed the wiz spell list or spellbook mechanic, just reskinned as tech. Took some 2/6/10/14 abilities from other subclasses which seemed appropriate.

First time poster so cant post link :/

Mods, please dont hate me:
homebrewery.naturalcrit
com/share/Bka0atkMhr

Would love your thoughts and opinions on playability, balance, etc,.

Thanks!

sleepyhead
2019-11-20, 09:18 AM
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bka0atkMhr

englishelf
2019-11-20, 11:23 AM
Thank you!

Anymage
2019-11-20, 01:24 PM
Thematically, I wonder how you explain how sufficiently advanced technology happens to be truly identical to established magical traditions. I like the Clarke quote too, but Rick Sanchez's portal gun has a different look and feel than a wizard chanting some gibberish to cast a Gate spell. I can get wanting to stick with established material to not go have to homebrew too much mechanically, but it still seems a little off.

Mechanically, it's a little weak. The subclass features are all okay by themselves, but have no outstanding feature that really grabs you. Meanwhile, your spell selection having its own growth mechanic can go to some odd places.

Personally speaking, I'd want to make my alien mechanic off of a warlock base instead of a wizard. Wizards are all about having the huge bag of tricks and having to prepare just right for the day, while warlocks are all about drawing a few cool tricks from external sources. Since warlocks get their subclass at level 1, it shouldn't be too hard to have a techlock have a feature that explicitly makes them run off of Int rather than Cha. (It'll be an unusual feature, but not an unreasonable one. Worst case scenario it'll let wizards and artificers engage in Eldrich Blast shenanigans like Cha based casters can.) Int as a casting stat, expertise with tinkers tools, and using the new UA rules for swapping a power on a long rest (I'd make it a DC 15 or 20 int check with tinkers tools since you don't want it to be too unlikely) sound like a decent, solid starting point for your powers. It'll let you tune your powers to what you need while still having a modestly sized bag of tricks. An improved natural AC at 6th could be a fair feature (although I'd be tempted to just say that your unarmored AC = 10 + Dex + Int to give it a scaling factor), improved senses as per your subclass at 10, and then you can look for something big at 14th. Then you just pick a few spells that seem fair to have always innate to the device, and you're good to go.

englishelf
2019-11-20, 01:43 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! You make a ton of very valid points and I'll be adjusting it significantly when I get the chance. You're absolutely right about Warlock over Wizard and I'll make the change. Perhaps even adding some custom Invocations.

Lvl 1 Patron becomes the Tech

Perhaps the feature can be that when an attack misses (because of deflection by the tech) it discharges a short electrical burst and causes a thunderclap effect.

Maybe I could make the Pact Boon the ability to short circuit the tech and get the Blur spell once per long rest.

6th level can stay Misty Step

10th the Senses

14... something powerful could be max damage from cantrips... first turn at no cost, each subsequent use costs an additional 2d12 electrical damage to the player.
at that level EB is 3 blasts so we're looking at at least 30 damage there...

2nd level Invocation could be an agonizing blast equiv adding Int.

Back to the drawing board! Thanks again!