PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Seeking Small Dinosaurs

Ooze
2019-11-20, 01:22 PM
So i'm having a real hard time finding small sized dinosaurs i have all 5 monster manuals and i'm just not seeing any.

Does anyone have a list or know what book they are in?

liquidformat
2019-11-20, 01:35 PM
Swindlespitter MM3 is the only one I know of but it is a pretty cool choice, slight of hand and can grasp stuff also has a breath weapon.

Ruethgar
2019-11-20, 02:21 PM
Needletooth Swarms are Tiny, Dragon Magazine #351 allowed individuals to be used as familiars using the Lizard stat block. Dragon Magazine #318 has Compsognathi(T), Rhamphorynchus(T), and Troodon(S/M). Eberron Campaign Setting has the Velociraptor/Clawfoot(M) and the Leaellynasaur/Fastieth(M). Dungeon #110 has the Z'Tal(S). Sandstorm also has the Protoceratops(M).

Thurbane
2019-11-20, 03:56 PM
There's really doesn't look like there is that many; all that I found have already been mentioned, aside from some 3rd party sources.

Unfortunately, the Dungeonbred template can only be applied to Large or larger animals, so that doesn't help either.

Does it need to be dinosaurs specifically? Are other reptilian animals and/or primitive animals acceptable?

Ooze
2019-11-20, 04:13 PM
wow must have skimmed right over that swindlespitter. I just watched all of Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal and i'm dying to put my players up against some dinos and primitives / exaggerated Creatures

The Viscount
2019-11-20, 07:38 PM
The aforementioned needletooth swarm is in MMIII, and seem a pretty good way to do the compsognathus from Jurassic Park Lost World and III. sorry to mention those movies

You might like the subterranean lizards from Drow of the Underdark. Not quite dinosaurs, but certainly dinosaur-adjacent.

If you liked Primal you might like Korgoth of Barbaria. It's only one episode, but it's Tartakovsky doing a cool Conan-style adventure.

Ruethgar
2019-11-20, 07:56 PM
The mention of Dungeonbred reminds me, an enlarge animal followed by a Wish to apply Dungeonbred via the Savage Species rules should work. The temporary size increase fades and then your medium dino becomes small.

TheCount
2019-11-21, 11:05 AM
Eberon campaign setting should have some, what with all the Dino riding/breeding/farming halflings. Maybe some other eberon book? Afb at the moment

hamishspence
2019-11-21, 01:40 PM
Eberon campaign setting should have some, what with all the Dino riding/breeding/farming halflings.

The only ones I know of have already been mentioned:

Eberron Campaign Setting has the Velociraptor/Clawfoot(M) and the Leaellynasaur/Fastieth(M).

Personally I think that, since Deinonychus has been errataed from Large (original MM) to Medium (MM errata and SRD) - the Clawfoot ought to be modified from Medium to Small.

ShurikVch
2019-11-21, 01:49 PM
How about the (in)famous Fleshraker?

Also, #318 have medium-sized Pteranodon