PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How Cheese is this: Advanced Sneak attack versatility build

D&DPrinceTandem
2019-11-20, 03:36 PM
So exactly what the title says; I have a very bad sense of how much cheese I put in character I want to play so I am how cheese this build is. So How cheese is this build:

Race Lesser Aaismar [yea yea, bad start but wait until you see how the stats are used before jumping on cheese wagon]
Class Generic Warrior 1, Swashbuckler 4 [Rest of the party is ECL 6; why this is will be explained later on]
Ability points [Point buy: 32pb]
Str: 6 points=8+6= 14/2
Dex: 6 points=8+6= 14/2
Con: 6 points=8+6= 14/2
Int: 6 points=8+6= 14/2
Wis: 4 points=8+4+2(racial)= 14/2
Cha: 4 points=8+4+2(racial)= 14/2

Feats [Specifically odd feat gain]
Flaw []: Bind Vestige [Prerequisite]
Flaw []: Bind Vestige, Improved
Lvl 1: Wild Cohort [Wolf] {If Arcane stunt works for Daring outlaw then this would be Craven}
Swashbuckler 1: Weapon finesse [Dex to melee Attacks with main Melee weapon]
Lvl 3: Daring Outlaw [Combine Swash lvls for Sneak attack]
Lvl 5: Persistent Attacker [-4d6 sneak attack to sneak attack again the next round]

Class Features
[B]Warrior
Proficiencies: Light and Medium Armor, Shields, Simple and Martial Weapons
Lvl 1 feat: Sneak attack +2d6

Swashbuckler
Proficiencies gained: No more than Warrior
Lvl 1: Weapon finesse
Lvl 2: Grace +1 [Or Arcane stunt: Blur 3/day]
Lvl 3: insightful Strike [Int to Dmg with Finesse weapon]
Lvl 4: ---

Items/Equipment/Payments [13000gp]
Ritual of Dark Flame [100gp, XP]: Gain Supernatural Ranged [10ft] touch attack: 5d6 negative Energy damage, take 2 Wisdom damage [the reason for Dahlver-Nar]
Ritual of Shadow-Walking [500gp, XP]: 100ft teleport standard action, take 2 Con Dmg and 2d4 hp dmg or stay in shadow realm stuff and take 4con+3d4hp/round
Ring of Darkhidden [2,000gp]: Treated as invisible in darkness to creatures with Darkvision
Bracers of Armor +2 [4,000gp]: +2 Armor bonus to AC
Cloak of Resistance +2 [4,000gp] +2 resistance bonus on all saving throws
Raiper +1 [2,300gp] exactly what it sounds like

Main Stick
round one
Swift action: Cast Blur [except last 1 round] or have Wild Cohort flank
Move action: Get to where there is 5 feet between target and I [out of reach of normal Medium creatures]
Standard action: Dark Flame; Ranged Touch attack: +8; Potential Dmg: 5d6 neg +[5-4]1d6 Sneak attack, Activate Persistent Attacker
Round two+
Free Action: 5ft Step [only on round 2]
Full round action: Rapier attacks; +9/+4; Potential Dmg: 2d8+8 +1d6 Sneak attack, Activate Persistent Attacker

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Is this cheese? This is a Legitimate question, I feel if i pay some gold, being lower level then the party, and two feat slots, should be enough to off set the benefits effectively having a 1/6th the range, twice the dmg Eldritch Blast.

Grey Guard
2019-11-20, 03:58 PM
Just seems like a fun way to get some ranged SA, and you're spending resources so you can safely, reliably spam the Ritual of Dark Flame.

The main issue I see, is that RAW, Daring Outlaw doesn't work with Warrior, as the feat specifies Rogue. Unless your DM is willing to bend that for you, you'll have to take Rogue levels to work with it and keep progression.

As for your worries about the build being cheesey? Well, that depends on how the rest of the party is built, and what the DM is willing to allow at his table. Not sure why you're a level lower than the party, except as some sort of self-flagellation to attempt to smooth over the character with the rest of your group.

What does the rest of the party look like? What does the DM expect?

16bearswutIdo
2019-11-20, 04:13 PM
Depends on the balance of your table. I'd wager that your table would probably consider this cheesy. Taking levels in NPC classes, taking two flaws, and playing Lesser Aasimar is a cheesy way to accomplish what you're trying to do (for most tables.)

That being said, what you're doing here isn't necessarily overpowered. It's just a being good at your shtick.

How are you getting two attacks in round 2? Your BAB is only +5.