PDA

View Full Version : Ravnican Planeswalkers

zinycor
2019-11-20, 04:07 PM
So, How would you stat out the Planeswalkers for the Ravnica setting?
The particular planeswalkers to be stated out are:

Dovin Baan: An artificer, that comes from another plane, Kaladesh. One of the main antagonist and leader of the azorius senate
Ral Zarek: A powerful wizard, Viceroy for the Izzet league
Vraska: A powerful, vengeful, and sexy Gorgon. Queen of the Golgari Swarm
Kaya: An assassin who specializes onghost killing, who looks to take control of the Orzhov Sindicate
Domri: The young and rebelious teenager that leads the Boros Clans.

So far my party hasn't faced these characters in combat but I suspect the ocassion will present itself soon.

FilthyLucre
2019-11-20, 04:25 PM
So, How would you stat out the Planeswalkers for the Ravnica setting?
The particular planeswalkers to be stated out are:

Dovin Baan: An artificer, that comes from another plane, Kaladesh. One of the main antagonist and leader of the azorius senate
Ral Zarek: A powerful wizard, Viceroy for the Izzet league
Vraska: A powerful, vengeful, and sexy Gorgon. Queen of the Golgari Swarm
Kaya: An assassin who specializes onghost killing, who looks to take control of the Orzhov Sindicate
Domri: The young and rebelious teenager that leads the Boros Clans.

So far my party hasn't faced these characters in combat but I suspect the ocassion will present itself soon.

Find creatures that fit their bill mechanically and then reflavor.

zinycor
2019-11-20, 06:14 PM
That's what I had planned to do, but the main problem is Dovin Baan, since I can't find a Statblock for a high level Artificer.

Finback
2019-11-20, 09:59 PM
Baan could be a high level wizard, with the School of Invention (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf). Just swap in appropriate spells. (Honestly, I see him less as an inventor himself, since storyline-wise he was more about finding the faults in things, rather than making his own, and suggesting improvements to others - hence why Bolas put him into the Azorius - because he could make it an even MORE rigid law system. I'd be looking at abjuration spells as well, since there's a reason they call it Dovin's Ban instead of Dovin's Veto ;) )

zinycor
2019-11-21, 02:51 PM
Baan could be a high level wizard, with the School of Invention (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf). Just swap in appropriate spells. (Honestly, I see him less as an inventor himself, since storyline-wise he was more about finding the faults in things, rather than making his own, and suggesting improvements to others - hence why Bolas put him into the Azorius - because he could make it an even MORE rigid law system. I'd be looking at abjuration spells as well, since there's a reason they call it Dovin's Ban instead of Dovin's Veto ;) )

I believe I will make Dovin an abjourer and give Ral zarek the school of innovation.

Trandir
2019-11-21, 03:09 PM
You know with the events of war of the spark everyone would fit.

Also with the guild sistem that covers all the spectrum every planeswalker might find a place to fit in.

zinycor
2019-11-21, 04:03 PM
You know with the events of war of the spark everyone would fit.

Also with the guild sistem that covers all the spectrum every planeswalker might find a place to fit in.

You are right, but I want to start on the planeswalkers that are more tied to the setting, later on I will add other characters.

Trandir
2019-11-21, 05:21 PM
You are right, but I want to start on the planeswalkers that are more tied to the setting, later on I will add other characters.

I didn't help so here are some that I'd like to meet:

Garruk in gruul ruins
Karn in izzet laboratories
Nissa in the selesnya conclaves
Ob Nixilis in the rakdos fun houses

DarknessEternal
2019-11-21, 05:29 PM
Do you want them to be MtG scale planeswalkers or just high level D&D guys with the same names?

There's a reason they didn't get stats in anything for D&D. A planeswalker is vastly more powerful than anything with a stat block.

RifleAvenger
2019-11-21, 06:00 PM
Do you want them to be MtG scale planeswalkers or just high level D&D guys with the same names?

There's a reason they didn't get stats in anything for D&D. A planeswalker is vastly more powerful than anything with a stat block.

While I do think that Planeswalkers should be special beyond being tier 3/4 PCs, somehow, post-mending walkers as depicted in the official fiction are not at a power level that is above being statted. Unless your name is Nicol Bolas or some of the other ex-oldwalkers.

The big issue is that D&D doesn't model MtG's magic system well at all.

zinycor
2019-11-21, 06:18 PM

¿? what? I never got the idea that Huatli, Tibalt, the Kenrith twins or Angrath were too powerful to be stated out... Nor the planeswalkers that I listed... Sure, they can be very powerful, and some (Like Karn Niky Balls, Ugin) even more so. But beyond statting out? Like the real powerful gods? I don't thik so.

Personally, I do even stat gods whenever I want them to be characters. Only not doing so if they are more of an ideal unable to affect the world directly.

So, to answer your question, I would like High level D&D monsters, with the same name, appearance and gimmicks that relate to their MtG counterparts.

DarknessEternal
2019-11-21, 06:58 PM
They can summon an unlimited army. They can plane shift instinctively and reactionally. You literally can’t kill a planeswalker who doesn’t want to fight you, without being one yourself. (Or being on the plane of the immortal sun). They can just leave.

On top of that, they’ve almost all got some super unique game breaking power.

Try telling Huatli that she isn’t powerful while buried beneath a pile of indestructible, super dinosaurs (which make t-recess look like complies before her powers get to them).

zinycor
2019-11-21, 07:01 PM
They can summon an unlimited army. They can plane shift instinctively and reactionally. You literally can’t kill a planeswalker who doesn’t want to fight you, without being one yourself. (Or being on the plane of the immortal sun). They can just leave.

On top of that, they’ve almost all got some super unique game breaking power.

Try telling Huatli that she isn’t powerful while buried beneath a pile of indestructible, super dinosaurs (which make t-recess look like complies before her powers get to them).

Never said she wasn't powerful, I said she wasn't beyond being stated out powerful

DarknessEternal
2019-11-21, 07:06 PM
As soon as you put stats on something, PCs can kill it.

PCs cannot kill planeswalkers.

If you really want stats for them, you have to treat them exactly like mtg did. They are a collection of effects and abilities, not creatures. And as soon as they don’t like being there any more, they aren’t.

They are way closer to legendary locations than they are monsters in dnd.

Trandir
2019-11-21, 07:20 PM
A planeswalker is basically a high level monster with (almost) unlimited wish spells that can fulfill only that planeswalker's gimmick wishes. Also they can plane shift at will with no materials and to any plane.

It's not really that hard. You challenge one and they will either flee, kill you or mop the floor with your face in a few rounds and then keep going with their days.

As a comparaison you playing with a MtG deck basically have a planeswaller's power while the players are just creatures. They are gonna die.

RifleAvenger
2019-11-21, 07:46 PM

If you really want stats for them, you have to treat them exactly like mtg did. They are a collection of effects and abilities, not creatures. And as soon as they don’t like being there any more, they aren’t.

They are way closer to legendary locations than they are monsters in dnd.That new-walkers have been defeated or killed by the likes of Lazav and a bunch of undead indicates that stripped of the ability to planeswalk, they aren't invincible.

So make planeswalking a reaction or the equivalent with a broad base of activation that overrides normal anti-teleportation abilities. Now, unless you can one-shot that planeswalker from surprise, plane bound individuals can only temporarily drive off a walker.

The viewpoint new-walkers often fear injury or harm in the stories, and not just from other walkers or the eldrazi or etc.

If we were talking pre-mending, yeah don't stat them, but one of the big reasons for the mending change was to make walkers more vulnerable and more human so they could be the focal characters of the story.

zinycor
2019-11-21, 08:19 PM

They are way closer to legendary locations than they are monsters in dnd.

I feel like my answer to your original question is needed.

So, to answer your question, I would like High level D&D monsters, with the same name, appearance and gimmicks that relate to their MtG counterparts.