PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dread Ambusher with Crossbow Expert, sharpshooter and hunter's mark

jk7275
2019-11-20, 05:25 PM
Hello

My DM has decided to allow Gloom Stalker and gave me the option to switch over from hunter.

ATM I am 9th level with Crossbow Expert , sharpshooter feats and 18 dex

Do those feats work with Dread Ambusher and hand crossbow on a target with Hunter's mark ?

assuming everything hits that will be 3 attacks each doing 2d6+14 then 1d8+1d6+14 from Dread Ambusher

Is that right?

Dork_Forge
2019-11-20, 05:38 PM
Hello

My DM has decided to allow Gloom Stalker and gave me the option to switch over from hunter.

ATM I am 9th level with Crossbow Expert , sharpshooter feats and 18 dex

Do those feats work with Dread Ambusher and hand crossbow on a target with Hunter's mark ?

assuming everything hits that will be 3 attacks each doing 2d6+14 then 1d8+1d6+14 from Dread Ambusher

Is that right?

That's right, all of your feats mesh together, but you'd lose one attack unless you hit them with hunters mark before combat started.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-21, 12:24 AM
The DA hit can benefit from hunter's mark. 1d8+2d6+14 if you have it cast.

but you'd lose one attack unless you hit them with hunters mark before combat started.

3 attacks is correct in this case. Hunter's mark -> Attack + Extra Attack + Dread Ambusher.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-21, 12:53 AM
The DA hit can benefit from hunter's mark. 1d8+2d6+14 if you have it cast.

3 attacks is correct in this case. Hunter's mark -> Attack + Extra Attack + Dread Ambusher.

I was talking about the synergy of the feats in question rather than the calc, but I should have been more clear!

8wGremlin
2019-11-21, 01:17 AM
I was talking about the synergy of the feats in question rather than the calc, but I should have been more clear!

Yeah, played a character like this 3/5 Gloomstalker/Fighter armed with hand crossbow.
the wording on dread ambusher -
[QUOTE]If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action/QUOTE]

on your first turn

You take the attack action, get the bonus weapon attack +1d8 damage (3 attacks)
Action Surge and take the attack action, get the bonus weapon attack +1d8 damage (3 attacks)
bonus action shot them again for good measure! (1 attack)

for 7 shots in one turn.
you could do hunters mark first and not take the last shot. you'd have 6 shots all with extra 1d6 damage

Dork_Forge
2019-11-21, 01:53 AM
Yeah, played a character like this 3/5 Gloomstalker/Fighter armed with hand crossbow.
the wording on dread ambusher -
[QUOTE]If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action/QUOTE]

on your first turn

You take the attack action, get the bonus weapon attack +1d8 damage (3 attacks)
Action Surge and take the attack action, get the bonus weapon attack +1d8 damage (3 attacks)
bonus action shot them again for good measure! (1 attack)

for 7 shots in one turn.
you could do hunters mark first and not take the last shot. you'd have 6 shots all with extra 1d6 damage

Yeah it's a really devastating combo, I played a 5th level Gloom stalker in a one shot (V.Human SS+CBE) and nearly blew away most of the encounters in the first turn (I didn't use HM at all, decided the bonus attack was woth more damage). Would definitely play that combo again but with Battlemaster mixed in for Action Surge maneuvery goodness.

Expected
2019-11-21, 06:50 PM
Assuming you are referring to the XGTE Gloom Stalker and not the UA one, the description of Dread Ambusher states (emphasis mine),
"At the start of your first turn of each combat, your walking speed increases by 10 feet, which lasts until the end of that turn. If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action. If that attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type"Essentially this is saying that you only get the benefits of Dread Ambusher for the first turn of each combat--when initiative is rolled.

lordneg
2019-11-22, 03:27 PM
I thought you could only use one bonus action per turn? So you wouldn't be able to use attack, bonus, action surge bonus attack. Is that right?

Expected
2019-11-22, 03:34 PM
I thought you could only use one bonus action per turn? So you wouldn't be able to use attack, bonus, action surge bonus attack. Is that right?
You are correct--Action Surge does not grant an additional Bonus Action or Reaction.