PDA

View Full Version : Ritual Caster Feat Shenanigan

Chrizzt
2019-11-21, 12:06 PM
Hey there!

Do you know of any not obvious nice tricks you can do with the spells on the ritual caster feat? Though I'm primarily interested in the wizard ritual list, all inputs are welcome. (My char is a shadow sorcerer lvl 9 who has recently taken up the feat).

One I can think of:

Though its not overwhelming: Given a certain interpretation of the ritual casting rules, you can continually ritual cast phantom steed while sitting on one, which means that given duration and casting times you can provide up to 5 party members constantly with very fast steeds while travelling (perhaps more if 2 smaller ones can share 1 steed?).

Tiny hut, of course, is an issue of its own. :) more like a tiny bastion, but this is quite clear from the description anyway.

Which other nice tjings that might not be apparent at first sight do you know of?

Thanks already for your input!

diplomancer
2019-11-21, 12:22 PM
Hey there!

Do you know of any not obvious nice tricks you can do with the spells on the ritual caster feat? Though I'm primarily interested in the wizard ritual list, all inputs are welcome. (My char is a shadow sorcerer lvl 9 who has recently taken up the feat).

One I can think of:

Though its not overwhelming: Given a certain interpretation of the ritual casting rules, you can continually ritual cast phantom steed while sitting on one, which means that given duration and casting times you can provide up to 5 party members constantly with very fast steeds while travelling (perhaps more if 2 smaller ones can share 1 steed?).

Tiny hut, of course, is an issue of its own. :) more like a tiny bastion, but this is quite clear from the description anyway.

Which other nice tjings that might not be apparent at first sight do you know of?

Thanks already for your input!

Unseen servant has a lot of uses. The easiest one is triggering traps, opening doors, that sort of thing. If your DM interprets the spell as you being able to tell the Unseen Servant to move vertically, it is even nicer.

Man_Over_Game
2019-11-21, 01:57 PM
Arcana Clerics, getting RC for Wizard spells, surprisingly have very little waste/overlap. Between the Cleric spell list, the Arcana bonus spells, and the Wizard Rituals you can get, there's only about 1-2 spells that overlap. This means you can get all of the unique arcane casting utility of a Wizard, as a medium-armored Cleric.

Arcane Tricksters work significantly well with RC. This clears up their limited spell slots and chosen spells for other options, and they can do wonders with things like Find Familiar or Alarm.

malachi
2019-11-21, 02:06 PM
Water Breathing lasts 24 hours; cast as a ritual at the end of your LR during breakfast every day, just in case. (Saw that tip somewhere on this site)

There's a thread somewhere about attempting to weaponize Animal Messenger with poisonous snakes.

Chrizzt
2019-11-21, 02:57 PM
Thank you all for your input so far :)

Unseen servant has a lot of uses. The easiest one is triggering traps, opening doors, that sort of thing. If your DM interprets the spell as you being able to tell the Unseen Servant to move vertically, it is even nicer.

The slow movement rate of unseen service is a little bit of a bummer if you want to travel with it. Can you order it to "attach" itself to you? (Similarly like a halfling could grab the cloak of a cloud giant when the latter runs away and be dragged along with it? While its strength is only 2, it stands to reason that it has no weight of its own. But I'm unsure! Never mindn, there are more questions now in my mind, and I will make a new thread. :D