PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Another member of the party is multi classing in to my characters non combat roles

Pufferwockey
2019-11-21, 01:34 PM
EDIT: maybe a useful more general question is how do people feel about skill monkey builds? any DMs care to weigh in? Do they interfere much with party dynamics? My specific situation in the original post below.

So I'm playing a wood elf Outlander Way of the Kensai monk whose out of combat role up until level 3 was sort of the group's tracker/forager... profficient in perception, stealth and survival with high scores in the associated abilities. The ranger essentially. In my party is a swashbuckler rogue who's got the thieves tools and investigate side of things covered.
(Same party I was referring too in my "help me be a scout without slowing down the game" thread)

The DM just jumped the story ahead two years and gave us each three levels(we got accepted to a secret organization and have received special training if that matters to you) and the rogue took three levels of fighter with the little known scout martial archetype. I think it used to be UA or something because when I look it up I can find references to it coming from there originally but I can't find it on the actual site. I think this is what they're using:

Fighter: Scout

Bonus Proficiencies

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in three of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics, Athletics, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. You can choose to gain proficiency with thieves’ tools in place of one skill choice.
Combat Superiority

At 3rd level, you gain a set of abilities that are fueled by special dice called superiority dice.

Superiority Dice. You have four superiority dice, which are d8s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a long or short rest.

You gain another superiority die at 7th level and one more at 15th level.

Using Superiority Dice. You can expend superiority dice to gain a number of different benefits:

• Survival Superiority. When you make a check that allows you to apply your proficiency in Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival, you can expend one superiority die to bolster the check. Add half the number rolled on the superiority die (rounding up) to your check. You apply this bonus after making the check but before learning if it was successful.

• Precision Attack. When you make a weapon attack against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the attack roll. You can use this ability before or after making the attack roll, but before any of the effects of the attack are applied.

• Scout’s Evasion. If you are hit by an attack while wearing light or medium armor, you can expend one superiority die as a reaction, adding the number rolled to your AC. If the attack still hits, you take half damage from it.
Natural Explorer

At 3rd level, you are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:

• You ignore difficult terrain.

• You have advantage on initiative rolls.

• On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.

In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.

• Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.

• Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.

• If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.

• When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.

• While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Improved Combat Superiority

At 10th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s. At 18th level, they turn into d12s.
Relentless

Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no superiority dice remaining, you regain 1 superiority die.

It uses the UA revised ranger version of natural explorer so I think whoever posted this set of rules simultaneously folded the revised version in. Can't say I blame them. I love the ranger archetype and the favoured terrain mechanic is (in my opinion) a huge bummer.

I'm not an expert but this subclass looks balanced or under powered to me with the possible exception of adding 3 new skill proficiencies. Its version of combat superiority is has no mechanic that adds dice to damage or does anything interesting tactically like knocking prone or moving opponents. At fighter 3 with TWF rogue 3 I think they'll probably be a little under powered in combat so I really don't want to whine about power gaming.

The thing is, now, with natural explorer, proficiency in survival and (i think)expertise in stealth they're a better tracker and scout than my character. Out of combat that's really my character's only thing. I deliberately went low cha because I snagged the "face" role with a charalatan background warlock last campaign, and I wanted a break from it and to give someone else a chance. I didn't take insight because I figured this guy was good at reading his surroundings, but not so much other people beyond what his high wis allows.

I'm not sure how much right I even have to complain. I made a character that rocks pretty hard in combat and just took some outdoorsy skills. This other player is sacrificing quite a bit in the way of class features in order to make this multi class, but now they've got most non combat roles covered from a skill proficiency stance. I'm not intimately familiar with their character but I have the impression they've got expertise in persuade as well so they're also honing in on the bard's territory. I normally don't mind skill redundancy, or even class redundancy in a party. This player has also earned some benefit of the doubt when it comes to letter other players have their time to shine (in the last campaign a card from the deck of may things gave them expertise in persuade and deception, but they let me take the wheel for the most part when it came time for serious "face" action without any prompting) but them taking a class feature that makes my out of combat role obsolete feels different.

How can I "yes and" this? I liked my job as tracker and forager. Do I just say "ok I forage, you scout," when the setting calls for it? Do I just say that's cool you handle it, I've got your back when the fighting starts?

MrStabby
2019-11-21, 02:20 PM
Yeah, it kind of sucks for you but there isn't much to be done.

You either let them play what they want to play or be That Guy, the one who thinks they can tell people what to play.

However, there is a bright side. With two players interested in this type of activity you can persuade your DM to make more of your campaign about this type of activity. Each player gets time for it because there is more time.

If all else fails you have a great class to add three levels of scout rogue to to let you shine in this area.

Keravath
2019-11-21, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure they will overlap that much unless they also take expertise or also have a high wisdom score. Without expertise or a high wisdom, your base survival will be higher than theirs anyway. In addition, survival isn't usually a big deal and it is often useful to have someone else proficient in a skill so that they can "help" with the check allowing it to be rolled with advantage.

Finally, the Natural Explorer feature in the UA is just the natural explorer feature from the base ranger class which doesn't include the list of abilities you cite above. The base ranger Natural Explorer ability is generally pretty lackluster which is one of the reasons it is panned fairly widely. "While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:".

The abilities you listed are actually from the revised ranger UA version of Natural Explorer and not the PHB version. Since the scout fighter UA precedes the revised ranger by some years, the intended feature would have been from the PHB and not another UA. It would be up to the DM what they would allow but the revised ranger version of Natural Explorer on top of the fighter:scout abilities seems a bit too much to me.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf

Unless there was another fighter:scout UA issued? Your cite looks like it comes from a 5e wiki which can be unreliable.

Reevh
2019-11-21, 03:08 PM
My experience is that when 2 players have overlapping skills, it just means we can Help action each other. No toes stepped upon.

Pufferwockey
2019-11-21, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure they will overlap that much unless they also take expertise or also have a high wisdom score. Without expertise or a high wisdom, your base survival will be higher than theirs anyway. In addition, survival isn't usually a big deal and it is often useful to have someone else proficient in a skill so that they can "help" with the check allowing it to be rolled with advantage.

Finally, the Natural Explorer feature in the UA is just the natural explorer feature from the base ranger class which doesn't include the list of abilities you cite above. The base ranger Natural Explorer ability is generally pretty lackluster which is one of the reasons it is panned fairly widely. "While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:".

The abilities you listed are actually from the revised ranger UA version of Natural Explorer and not the PHB version. Since the scout fighter UA precedes the revised ranger by some years, the intended feature would have been from the PHB and not another UA. It would be up to the DM what they would allow but the revised ranger version of Natural Explorer on top of the fighter:scout abilities seems a bit too much to me.

link removed from quote as I'm not allowed to post links yet

Unless there was another fighter:scout UA issued? Your cite looks like it comes from a 5e wiki which can be unreliable.

Yeah that's a copy paste from a wiki. I woulda linked but I'm not allowed yet. It's probably my fault you missed when I said it due to badly formatting the post, but yeah my guess is also that whoever posted this set of rules simultaneously folded in the UA revised ranger rules.

I'm totally on board with that decision in term of the class's balance. Might be a bit crazy with an assassin multi class but in this case the player is already a swashbuckler so we're good. I love the ranger as an archetype and I'm firmly in the "favored terrain is a huge bummer that mechanically de-incentivizes exploration or just handicaps a character most of the time, and there is no length too great to be gone to to replace it" camp, so I'd be on board with this just on principle. In the specific case of this sub class's balance, it would be pure garbage with the phb version of the feature by my reckoning.

In any case it's DM approved.

EDIT: I've added a more general question about skill monkey characters in general to the top of the original post

EDIT: Reevh, that's been my expirience as well. I wouldn't normally worry, but it feels different with someone taking a feature that makes them so much better than my character at my character's thing. Probably selfish because my characters thing is already being a total badass. I also haven't dealt with a player with so many skill proficiencies before (by my count they have 4 from the rogue, 3 from the scout and w/e they got from their race) and I'm a little concerned about group dynamics. You're right it's probably nbd.

MrStabby, I certainly don't want to be That Guy. I've played with That Guy before. I'm not That Guy's biggest fan. What I meant when I asked how can I "yes and" this situation, was how can I play my character to support this other player's choice without robbing myself?

For the record I'm actually stoked at their decision to multiclass for the purpose of getting their character's flavour to match what they have in mind rather than optimizing for combat/min maxing(i only know the min maxing term from context. Might be using it wrong) I'm just a little bummed that it's moving in to what I was thinking of as "my turf"

Expected
2019-11-21, 06:34 PM
My experience is that when 2 players have overlapping skills, it just means we can Help action each other. No toes stepped upon.
I second this; it also makes sense thematically (e.g. how would someone not proficient in Thieves' Tools "help" me when I am skilled in it?).

Honestly, I prefer building self-sufficient characters and usually take proficiencies that may or may not overlap with other members of the party but I just make a conscious effort not to overshadow them.

DarknessEternal
2019-11-21, 06:49 PM
However, there is a bright side. With two players interested in this type of activity you can persuade your DM to make more of your campaign about this type of activity. Each player gets time for it because there is more time.

Do what he says.

Garresh
2019-11-21, 07:30 PM
So a short aside: I used to play a game called Payday 2, which allowed you to either stealth missions or go run and gun. Unlike many games, it actually rewarded and in some cases required teamwork to stealth through things. For instance, we usually had a point man who did the "main" stealth, and secondary who was right behind him. He would pick off targets, and the secondary was behind him in case they found 2 at once, or someone walked in during a takedown. The 3rd was acting a sentry somewhat far away but still relatively close by, tracking movements of patrols and providing overwatch. And the 4th usually ran cameras or acted as a second sentry from VERY far away.

The reason I mention this story is because in some cases, having two in the same role can be an asset, not a detriment. In d&d for instance, stealth take downs aren't usually a thing. With 2 stealthy characters, it could be. Having you sneak together means you could watch each other's backs. And for scouting purposes two sets of eyes is always better. You can aid each other as well.

In a d&d game I'm in, we have two Dragonborn paladins. Despite being the same class and race, they fulfill different roels. One fights sword and board, the other uses a maul to crush faces. They become stronger together, and build off each other.

So long as the DM lets you work together and help each other, you can benefit heavily from this. I had 2 rangers in a game I was running, and I set them up to navigate a misty mountain range, navigating by visions in dreams. Suffice to say, they worked together and aced it where others would struggle.

Pufferwockey
2019-11-21, 09:55 PM

Yeah, it kind of sucks for you but there isn't much to be done.

You either let them play what they want to play or be That Guy, the one who thinks they can tell people what to play.

If all else fails you have a great class to add three levels of scout rogue to to let you shine in this area.

So a short aside: I used to play a game called Payday 2, which allowed you to either stealth missions or go run and gun. Unlike many games, it actually rewarded and in some cases required teamwork to stealth through things. For instance, we usually had a point man who did the "main" stealth, and secondary who was right behind him. He would pick off targets, and the secondary was behind him in case they found 2 at once, or someone walked in during a takedown. The 3rd was acting a sentry somewhat far away but still relatively close by, tracking movements of patrols and providing overwatch. And the 4th usually ran cameras or acted as a second sentry from VERY far away.

The reason I mention this story is because in some cases, having two in the same role can be an asset, not a detriment. In d&d for instance, stealth take downs aren't usually a thing. With 2 stealthy characters, it could be. Having you sneak together means you could watch each other's backs. And for scouting purposes two sets of eyes is always better. You can aid each other as well.

In a d&d game I'm in, we have two Dragonborn paladins. Despite being the same class and race, they fulfill different roels. One fights sword and board, the other uses a maul to crush faces. They become stronger together, and build off each other.

So long as the DM lets you work together and help each other, you can benefit heavily from this. I had 2 rangers in a game I was running, and I set them up to navigate a misty mountain range, navigating by visions in dreams. Suffice to say, they worked together and aced it where others would struggle.

Yeah I'm with you. In fact among new players I'm the guy who says go a head and have two of the same class in there if you like, we'll make it work, the magic is in the rp. The rogue and I have already teamed up for stealthy tactics in a dungeon. Overdid it, in fact, to the detriment of the game(see my "help me be a scout without slowing down the game" thread) but that's a whole other thing. I want to support the direction my friend took their character and use my character in a way that adds to their idea, but I'm having trouble figuring out what that'll look like with the rangery role. In cha situations theres all kinds of ways for more than one character competent in that field to support each other both in rp and with checks. Like running two person grifts for example. I'm trying to figure out what the analogue of a two person scam is for trackers and scouts. Man I hope that sentence makes sense to people outside my head.

My character is still a badass in combat and they sacrificed some combat effectiveness to move in to this role so I'll fall back to "I assist on that survival check" if that's what it takes, but I'm hoping to come up with something a little more dynamic than that. Unfortunately I can't think of how else to back them up. My bonus to survival may be a point or two higher than theirs but other than that they're mechanically the better scout by a decent margin. Their ability to track and stealth at normal traveling speed means they'd actually be held back if we worked as a duo.