PDA

View Full Version : Extra Wildshape

Chalkarts
2019-11-21, 02:17 PM
I remember 3.5 had a feat for extra uses of wildshape.
Does any such thing still exist?
2 shifts per day seems kinda weak.

Sexyshoeless
2019-11-21, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately no. However, it is 2 shifts that refresh on a short rest - so you can actually pull off quite a few shifts in a day if your party/plot cooperate.

PhantomSoul
2019-11-21, 02:30 PM
It's a reasonable thing to homebrew (as a feat or on an item, for instance), though -- especially if you won't reach level 20 in the campaign!

sithlordnergal
2019-11-21, 03:24 PM
There isn't, but honestly you won't need more as much as you might think. I've played a Druid from levels 1 to 18, and went through Tomb of Ahnniliation as one, and the 2 wild shapes per short rest were actually more then enough from what I found.

PhantomSoul
2019-11-21, 03:33 PM
There isn't, but honestly you won't need more as much as you might think. I've played a Druid from levels 1 to 18, and went through Tomb of Ahnniliation as one, and the 2 wild shapes per short rest were actually more then enough from what I found.

What kind of Druid were you? Where I was imagining a +1 might be especially effective was for Moon Druids with Elemental Forms, that way they still get two Wild Shape uses (and if it's +1, they don't get two Elemental Form uses, if that's a concern)

sithlordnergal
2019-11-21, 03:40 PM
What kind of Druid were you? Where I was imagining a +1 might be especially effective was for Moon Druids with Elemental Forms, that way they still get two Wild Shape uses (and if it's +1, they don't get two Elemental Form uses, if that's a concern)

I was a Moon Druid. The +1 is highly useful at level 10, but given you can remain in elemental form for 5 hours by then, you should be able to sneak in one Short Rest. And even without it, I found my spells more then made up for being out of Wild Shape.

Edit: I actually kind of cheesed the final boss. We managed to sneak in a short rest right before the final battle. I had used my Wild Shape in the encounter right before that to deal with some Hags, and decided to remain a Fire Elemental while resting.

Final encounter began, I realized I could grapple the big bad undead thing, and dragged it under a lake of lava with the aid of a Fly spell from the party Wizard. It died in 3 rounds

PhantomSoul
2019-11-21, 03:43 PM
I was a Moon Druid. The +1 is highly useful at level 10, but given you can remain in elemental form for 5 hours by then, you should be able to sneak in one Short Rest. And even without it, I found my spells more then made up for being out of Wild Shape.

True, the duration is rather good, and it's not like it's all you have as a class feature!

sithlordnergal
2019-11-21, 04:24 PM
True, the duration is rather good, and it's not like it's all you have as a class feature!

Yeah, I'm usually all for giving players more power...but even to me having a way to grant even more Wild Shapes seems like a bit overkill XD Cause at that point you'd be able to turn into an elemental, get knocked out of it, cast some powerful spell, and then turn into a cr 3 beast. Which includes the likes of Giant Scorpions, which gives you an additional 52 HP on top of however many hundred you had from the Elemental XD

HiveStriker
2019-11-21, 04:27 PM
I remember 3.5 had a feat for extra uses of wildshape.
Does any such thing still exist?
2 shifts per day seems kinda weak.
It's per short rest. Short rest is very easy to get in non hostile environment, and moderately easy to get in hostile environment provided party boons or high enough level.

Especially as a Moon Druid. ^^

But really, any Druid can live all day long under the form of its choice when no strenuous activity is required, as soon as level 2. ^^

Edit: I actually kind of cheesed the final boss. We managed to sneak in a short rest right before the final battle. I had used my Wild Shape in the encounter right before that to deal with some Hags, and decided to remain a Fire Elemental while resting.

Final encounter began, I realized I could grapple the big bad undead thing, and dragged it under a lake of lava with the aid of a Fly spell from the party Wizard. It died in 3 rounds
Thanks for sharing this great example of party collaboration. :)

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-11-21, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't give an extra wildshape, but it could be possible to make some feat where they can turn into, like, CR 0 creatures at will or something (or, like, the Find Familiar list of creatures). Or one specific form. Use a feat to add utility and save big wildshapes for combat.