PDA

View Full Version : Unseen Servant - Are those things stretching it too far?

Chrizzt
2019-11-21, 03:12 PM
hello!

My sorcerer with his ritual caster feat will hopefully soon grab the powers of the Unseen Servant spell. And while according to Erys kind answer in the question and answer thread it cannot be twinned, it is still very useful. But, alas, there are questions that I cannot fully answer myself.

a) The slow movement rate of unseen service is a little bit of a bummer if you want to travel with it. Can you order it to "attach" itself to you? (Similarly like a halfling could grab the cloak of a cloud giant when the latter runs away and be dragged along with it? While its strength is only 2, it stands to reason that it has no weight of its own. But I'm unsure!

b) Given casting times and duration I can keep up to 5 unseen servants in power. Given their statistics: do you think it is reasonable for them (being of weak power, but neverending endurance) to be used to duplicate the moving effect of the mold earth cantrip? E.g. you have a palisade, but you want to dig out a moat and have 5 unseen servants (perhaps without tools) laboring: can you in reasonable time do such a thing? I will reach soon level 10 and be able to pick up my 6th cantrip, and while I like mold earth, I'm contemplating thinking something else, e.g. mage hand, instead (I have already minor illusion, prestidigitation, shocking grasp, chill touch and message).

ImproperJustice
2019-11-21, 03:22 PM
Generally I have seen this spell used situationally as needs arise, to handle problems on the spot.

Since it never tires it can theoretically dash to keep up with you.

Re: Mold Earth, I suppose you can but that seems so very slow, where Mold Earth can build things in seconds!

PhantomSoul
2019-11-21, 03:29 PM
Since it never tires it can theoretically dash to keep up with you

Hm, I just noticed that the Unseen Servant technically doesn't have a Speed (which might make sense; it also doesn't explicitly have Turns either, so it potentially can't use the Dash Action)

Mr Adventurer
2019-11-21, 05:44 PM
Rules unclear. It can fetch things, so it can move around and toward you in a general sense. And it can explicitly do things "that a human servant could do". As a DM I would rule that it can follow you, but it's Speed is indeed 15.