PDA

View Full Version : Lost siblings?

Raiser Blade
2007-10-19, 02:50 AM
Considering the newest comic I just thought i'd throw it out there. Did any of you have siblings that you never knew.

I had an older brother. There were complications with his birth and he died. He was my parents honeymoon baby. My Mom is pretty open about it but my Dad doesn't talk about him at all. 16 years (and 5 kids) later I think it still cuts him to the heart.

I was born a year later and now i'm the oldest. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to have an older brother. :smallsigh:

So yeah, any of you have similar stories.

Zeb The Troll
2007-10-19, 03:19 AM
Not me personally, but I had an uncle that died as a baby. My mom never got to know him because she was born after it happened. The irony? He died at the doctor's office. The nurse put him on a baby scale and then turned her back, for just a second of course, and he rolled over and fell on the floor before anyone could react. My daughter was sort of retroactively named in his honor. (A nickname for her full name is his name. I didn't take this into account when I named her, but when I realized the connection I used that nickname more often and that is the version of her name that I have tattooed on my chest, just above my heart. (See, not everyone gets inked "because it's cool". :smalltongue: ))

Escef
2007-10-19, 08:59 AM
My younger bro has been estranged from the family for years.

I have two older brothers from my father's first marriage. When I was filling out paperwork about my background for a security investigation (related to my MOS in the Army) I called my mom up hoping to get information about them from her (as my father is deceased). Last she heard was one of them was in Virginia somewhere and the other was in jail for sex crimes. Lemme tell ya, the latter of that pair was not what I wanted to hear when I'm trying to fill out security papers. :smalleek:

Skippy
2007-10-19, 09:02 AM
I have three brothers. That means we're four in the family. But we were meant to be six. Two of us didn't make it here, and some times I still wonder what would that be like, to have five brothers. Madness, perhaps. But it would have been nice.

Telonius
2007-10-19, 09:07 AM
I was adopted as an infant. I have at least one half-sister I've never met. She might be alive or dead. I might have more half-siblings. I really don't know either way.

Reinboom
2007-10-19, 09:17 AM
I'm the youngest of 10 children, 2 of which are deceased.
I was an accident baby, and came very late to the mix, so far as to put my eldest sister somewhere around 21 years older than me (and I already have great nephews at the age of 19).
I didn't meet my oldest sister until i was 5, my 2nd eldest sister until I was 9, and my third oldest sister until I was 15.
The two deceased siblings died within weeks after birth (they were fraternal twins), and 11 years before I was born...
Also - alongside this, My grandparents Sweet also had a set of fraternal twins that died after birth and my brother and his first true girlfriend had a set of fraternal children (boy + girl, just like the others..) that was miscarried in the third trimester...
:smallfrown:

Volug
2007-10-19, 09:19 AM
This thread makes me sad:smallfrown:

*Gives everyone hugs*

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-10-19, 09:29 AM
I might, as my mother left us when I was seven and moved to Germany, never to speak to us again.

I wonder, sometimes, but my family has five kids, anyways, so I don't feel any kind of pain when I think about it. If there are other siblings of mine out there, I'd love to meet them, but I'm not going to angst over it.

I'm sorry for those of you who lost siblings before knowing them...

ZombieRockStar
2007-10-19, 09:38 AM
My uncle, on my mom's side, was adopted and never knew his birth family. He only recently found them. I can't remember whether he has any biological siblings or not.

My aunt (in-law, married the other uncle on my mom's side) was also separated from her family early on. My uncle was friends with her sister (also separated) and they met when the two were re-united. Then they found their birth mother and the first time they met was at my aunt & uncle's wedding.

I, however, know all of my related family. Unfortunately. :smallamused:

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-19, 09:39 AM
My Mother left with my Brother and sister on Christmas last year, haven't heard much from my Brother since, my sister and I aren't in contact at all.

AmberVael
2007-10-19, 09:51 AM
Wellll... this doesn't quite fit, but it is a bit amusing, and should provide some contrast to the rest of the thread.

I'm one of two children- just my brother and I. There are no other siblings (unless I've missed out on something) and we're just fine with that.
Well, apparently someone wasn't fine with that. So, when we received a directory from the church we went to, it was a great surprise that I learned I apparently have a sister named Olivia.
She showed up in the directory for over a year.
Our youth pastor eventually asked my brother why he never saw her... so my brother bit his lip, looked awkward and said:
"Well, we really don't talk about her much..."
I could just see the look on the poor guy's face. He thought he was intruding on some dark family secret.
"Why? What happened?"
"We have no idea who she is. We've been trying to have her name taken out of the directory for a while now."

Here's the real kicker- she is a real person who lives in our area. Same last name, almost exactly the right age to be my sister (in between the age of my brother and I, which works perfectly).
I just happened to come across her in a list of people who used to be in a little club that I joined.
Then she ended up being at the same college I went to.
But I still haven't met her.
So... lost sibling, or really weird coincidence?
I'm hoping I'll stumble across her someday, just because it would be interesting to finally meet this "sister" at last.

Serpentine
2007-10-19, 10:06 AM
Similar to yours, Vael. My sister and I live in the same town. Around the corner from each other, in fact. But most of her friends haven't met me, or in many cases heard of me. Every now and then, though, this happens to her:
"Hey! Do you have a sister in town?"
"Yes..."
"OMG, I knew it was her! She's the splitting image of you!"
"Oh? Where did you see her?"
"Working in Coles."
"...:smallconfused:"

I don't work in Coles :smallconfused: Have yet to meet this 3rd sister of ours.

wxdruid
2007-10-19, 10:45 AM
My mother had 6 kids and then a miscarriage.

My sister had a miscarriage on her first pregnancy. She now has a daughter, born this year. (no I don't remember the date...)

Kronk
2007-10-19, 02:42 PM
I had an older sister who died during birth. I was born two years later. I have a sister who is nineteen months younger than I am and a sister 4 years younger than me. Between my two sisters, my mother had a miscarriage.
Three kids was enough, five would have been interesting.

When my youngest sister was born, I told my mom to take her back to the hospital because I wanted a little brother.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-10-19, 03:04 PM
His name was Micheal Steven. He was two years old, I believe, when he was diagnosed with leukemia. I was a newborn. He passed when I was three and he was five. I grew up in the shadow of a brother that barely had time to exist. Of all the tales I heard about him, there was one of such maturity, such bravery, that I will NEVER shake it.

Unable to shake an infection, he was raging with fever. They'd put him on a refridgerated bed to cool his body. As the hospital staff hurried to set up an oxygen tent around him, he knocked away the plastic surrounding him and declared the fight was over. "No more," he said. "No more."

Many years later, I found his suitcase; that which was used to carry his belongings to the hospital for his lengthy stays. Inside were two Life magazines: one from when JFK was shot, and the other of the first moon shot. There was also a few articles about the emergency blood drives for my brother toward the end. Finally, there was a Mickey Mouse watch. You could clearly see the notch where it was set for his tiny wrist.

If there's a celestial plane awaiting me, and he's there, you can bet all you have that I'm prepared to bust out the Legos and play with him...for the rest of forever. :smallredface:

gojira
2007-10-19, 03:08 PM
Very sad, this. Zeb, that's just tragic how your uncle died.

Sir_Norbert
2007-10-19, 03:12 PM
Three kids was enough, five would have been interesting.
I want to have five :)

Kronk
2007-10-19, 03:27 PM
Starting a basketball team? :smallsmile:

I have two of my own now. Three seems like a bit much. Five definitely challenging. And to think my Great-Grandmother had 13!

DraPrime
2007-10-19, 03:40 PM
Apparently about a year before I was born my mom was pregnant. She got in a severe car accident, and the baby (it was a boy) died before birth. Then I came along. About a year after my birth my parents divorced because they could never agree when it came to how they should raise me. Now I wonder, that if that accident hadn't happened would my parents have divorced before I could have ever had a chance at life? Basically, my long dead brother gave me a chance at life, and I'm grateful for it. If I meet him in heaven I don't know how I'll thank him.

Cyrano
2007-10-19, 03:48 PM
Me? No.

My mother, however, has a somewhat pertinent story. When she was young, I don't know how young, but young, her mother left. I don't know why. She says she prayed for her to come back... and she did. And took some stuff. And left.
I'm not sure what happened to her father, if she knew her. But she lived with her grandfather.
Granddad couldn't take it. Or, more likely, chose not to. So he, in his infinite wisdom, packed a suitcase, dropped mom off at an adoption center, and said she was going to boarding school. So from about the age of, I don't know, maybe 8, 'till she became legal age, she was shuttled off, at least once a year, between different families. As far as I know, none of them were abusive, but none of them truly loved her and none of them had money - hence the shuttling. The instant she turned eighteen, she told us, she got her own place. Now, she must have been no older than 30 when she met Dad and they got married, but apparantly, she was married to someone else. She said it was very short, but doesn't talk about him much. She also has a brother. Somewhere. After being adopted they never saw each other again. He was four. So she knew him, and her relatives... but I still feel it counts.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-19, 06:40 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded with your stories. *Hugs for everyone*

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-19, 06:44 PM
((Moved from the Lost Children? thread))

My mother lost a daughter in the womb, I have no idea how far into pregnancy, some time ago. She thinks it was harmful gases in the air at a wedding she went to (not her own) that caused it.

I think she'd be around 15 or 16 now...

It's an unwritten rule to not talk about her. Not that there are consequences for saying something, but the room gets all melancholy. So now I just have an older brother.

Tom_Violence
2007-10-19, 07:03 PM
Did any of you have siblings that you never knew.

I had two older brothers, but I've never heard a single thing about them until now.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-19, 07:17 PM
while it hasn't been proven, my mother's doctor suspects that both me and my sister (both left handed) had mirror image twins that didn't make it (both my parents are right handed, and the chance of having 2 left handed kids are way up there). That would have been really cool.

wadledo
2007-10-19, 07:42 PM
While I don't have any lost siblings (that I know of), my sister (24) and I (16) could be considered long lost.
Her father split on my mother after sis was born, and my father married mom 6 years later.
When I was born, my father tells me that my sister said "He looks diseased, is he going to die soon?" This is from an 8 year old girl.
When I was 4 my parents divorced, much to the joy of Big sis (all I remember of that time is her skipping through the house, humming happily.)
When I was 8 my mother married again, and a year later my little brother was born (my sister has no problems with him.)
The only thing I remember of our time together is once being forced to sit in a corner of her friends house, while she hung out for the afternoon. I've talked to that friend, and she said that it was the first and last time she heard of me, and that my sister refused to explain my presence.
When she went off to college I never talked to her again, except on holiday dinners, and those were either very terse, cold "pass the turkey" phrases, or angry, hateful conversations, usually stopping just short of shouting matches.
I've gotten her 3 presents in my life, once for her 13th birthday, which she never touched, once for Christmas '99, which she accidentally (said by our mother) knocked into the fire, and once 2 years ago for her graduation from college, which I never learned what happened to.
She, on the other hand, has gotten me nothing, ever. Christmas is very interesting in my family, with my mother usually getting something small but nice, and my brother getting a $250 dollar toy. Even my step-father gets more than me from her.
She lives in New York right now, so I never see her, which is great. The rest of my family (even the 3rd cousins) know about our little "problem", so any events are either me, or her. Our Uncle tried to invite both of us to his wedding, but after 2 hours even the bride (who didn't know about us) was feeling the tension. I had to leave before the service, and when I got back the mother of the bride actually thanked me for leaving!
I have no clue what her problem is with me, and to be honest, I don't want to know.
Sorry, but I felt I had to tell my story as well.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-19, 07:50 PM
*snip*

Awwww *hugs*.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-19, 08:05 PM
I has two. A Half-brother and half-sister on my dad's side.
And, since mother is... uhm, protective, neither of the two are even allowed inside the house.

I know that the half-sister lives somewhere nearby and works for the national newspaper as a journalist, but I haven't heard from the half-brother since I was 6 or something. All I know is he's really tall, and might actually be either dead or married by now.

adanedhel9
2007-10-19, 09:02 PM
I have a long lost cousin... my mom's little brother made some mistakes when he was younger and ended up losing all rights to his kid. I think he'd be about 16 now. Various family members have tried to find him over the years, but records around these sorts of things tend to stay sealed pretty tightly.

Logic
2007-10-19, 10:36 PM
My mother had a miscarriage 4 months into a pregnancy before I was born. Then, about 5 months after I was born, she had another miscarriage.

Of 5, 3 survived to be driving age (which my mother had always claimed to be ready to kill each of us before that ever happened.:smallwink:)

Technatrix
2007-10-19, 10:40 PM
I would say that I have several lost siblings, but I think in this case I am the lost sibling.

My parents were both married to other people when they had an affair and my mom got pregnant with me as a result. My mom had three other kids with her husband and my father had a son with his wife, and neither of them really wanted another kid especially one that was just going to cause them more marital problems. So, my mom gave me up for adoption, and I ended up with my adoptive parents and siblings who are all kinds of cool. After I turned 18, I managed to get in contact with my biological mother, and it turns out that she and her husband ended up getting divorced anyway several years after I was born, so she remarried and had another kid with her new husband, bringing my "lost sibling" count up to five.

Meeting my birth mother was weird. I'm still not entirely sure she was really happy to see me, but I guess she could have just been really nervous, I know I was. My older half-siblings from her first marriage weren't rude exactly, but they weren't really very friendly either. My younger half-sister was cool, though. I haven't met my half-brother on my father's side, yet, though I've talked to him on the phone. I actually just managed to get in contact with him and my biological father earlier this year, and that went much better than meeting my birth mother's side, so I think I might try to visit them sometime during the holidays.

No matter how well I do or don't get along with my biological relatives, though, my adoptive parents and brothers and sisters are my real family. They've been there for me my whole life and if I'd never found out I was adopted, I'd still have been perfectly happy.

There ends my entirely too complex family tree.

Serpentine
2007-10-19, 11:16 PM
My family's all good an' dandy, though we nearly lost my nephew (he has half-siblings now, but he does get to see them). A friend of mine, on the other hand, comes from a broken family. I don't mean as in, her parents broke up - though they did do that - but as in, they're all broken.
So far as I know, there's nothing wrong with her mother. She looks a little aenemic, though, and is very small and thin, but I don't think she has any real medical problems.
Her father is gay (not necessarily broken, of course, but, well, he is a father, and it's not exactly biologically sound (PM me if you want me to clarify that)), and a complete jerk. He moves around and refuses to tell them where he is to the extent that Gill (my friend)'s mother has to literally track him down any time she needs something. They once won a trip to Disney Land, but couldn't go because he refused to sign the papers to let the kids get a passport.
Gill's older brother I can't remember much about. I think he was also gay, and he may have had a mild epilepsy or something similar.
Gill has rather nasty epilepsy. She also bruised ridiculously easily, but it turns out that was probably because of her medication ("If you start to bruise easily, see a doctor immediately" - a discovery made after some months of bruising).
Finally, she had an (I think) older sister. By the time I met her, this sister was long gone. She had epilepsy, but was also severely retarded (in the medical sense, of course) and had I-don't-know-what-else wrong with her. Very, very broken girl. I don't know how old she was when she died. Gill was old enough to remember it clearly, but young enough to be free to talk about it when we met, but I never found out for sure whether she was older or younger anyway.

Aotrs Commander
2007-10-20, 09:15 AM
My second, middle sister, Rose, was born on my Birthday when I was about seven or eight. She was a very poorly little child, with about half-a-dozen serious heart problems - to the point where in the end, we reckoned that it was only due to some of the problems partially counteracting the others that she lasted as long as she did. She spent about half her life in the hospital, and died before she was two. We did at least have her home for her one Christmas, though.

Serpentine
2007-10-20, 09:27 AM
I just remembered, I have some lost cousins. They (he? she? I'm sadly sketchy on even the basic details) died long before I was born, but I still hear about them/him/her occasionally. A woman, a mother-in-law, I believe, was looking after the kids of, I think, several families while their parents went out for Christmas celebrations or somesuch. She left candles burning in the house, while she and my cousins slept in cars for some reason. The candles started a fire...
I believe she went mad not long afterwards.

phoenixineohp
2007-10-20, 09:51 AM
This certainly isn't as sad a the other stories here, but it happened so recently I might as well add it. Families are weird things.

My Dad is adopted, as is his sister. So they have no blood relation to each other. My Dad has no interest in opening his file and we know little about his case. My Aunt however, said something about contacting her birth mother years ago. We keep this quiet because it really upsets my Grandmother. And that was all we had heard... Until last weekend.

My parents when to my Uncle's surprise birthday party at my Aunt's house. While in the kitchen my Dad introduced himself to a neighbor as JoAnne's brother. "Oh really? Which brother is that?".... Ummm... pardon? This rattled my dad and my mom but they just moved on.

Later my mom was sitting next to my grandparents when the person next to her introduced themselves. So my Mom explained that she was JoAnne's sister in law as she was married to JoAnne's brother. "Which brother?" Well... Mom went on to name my father and then point to his mother and father, introducing them by association and explaining that they were his parents.

"Oh, do you really think so?"

Excuse me? Yes, these are his parents. Mom is very rattled by this point and starts to try and shut down the conversation so that Grandma can't hear and get upset.

"Well, it's just that his mom doesn't have the Newfie accent." (A characteristic accent from one of our provinces.)

This guy proceeds to go on, trying to poke in more and more and Mom eventually just gets up to find my Aunt. She asks her exactly what to call my Dad and my Aunt gets flustered and tells her that this is neither the time nor place for this before walking off.

Mom tracks her down upstairs and is about to break down, so she says that she just doesn't know how to answer these questions. They talk and it turns out that my Aunt's birthmother had died two years ago and that my Aunt was in contact with all of her half siblings, and had been for the last eleven years! We don't know how many there actually are, but apparently my Dad is her family, and this is her new family. My cousins actually are at the point were they call them aunt and uncle, and everyone has met and is close. They have just been informed not to mention it to my family or grandparents. And apparently my Aunt never thought that lines would cross then.

So my parents head home and take the night to recover from all this. They talk and end up telling my Aunt that we are fine with it all, and would like to meet the new people. They are going by the theory that the less we hide the better. I think a large part of the shock was that everyone knows about them but us. They have visited my cousin's new house, and we haven't even yet. I've never seen pictures or anything. However, we still need to keep it quiet around Grandma and Grandpa.

I found this all out on Tuesday.

And for the record, the idea of my Dad's half family is interesting, but I just want to know two things. His parent's heritage and their medical record. I'm actually more interested in it than my Dad. He had never thought about it applying to anyone else.

Extra_Crispy
2007-10-20, 10:41 PM
I have only one sibling, an older sister and she is live and well. She lives about a 20 min drive from me. Her three children are doing great.

My parents on the other hand are different. My father is the youngest of 3. His older brother, the middle child, and him were very close. When my father was (i think) 12 and his brother (Melvin) was ~15, his brother died. Dont remember exactly from what, my father knows, all I remember is him saying that they were eating dinner and Melvin was complaining he was not feeling good and went to lie down. Next thing they knew he was not responding, they rushed him to the hospital and he died less than 12 hours later. His death broke up the family. My father also has a half sister from a previous marriage of his father. He has met her and knows her but they are not very close.

My mother is the 2nd oldest of 7. Inbetween those 7 kids my grandmother had 5 or 6 miscarriages. My youngest aunt was bipolar and a drug addict (we are pretty sure but not 100 percent). Realizing she was not going to be good for her 2 young boy as she would not take her bipolar medication, she did not contest full custody for the father. She still visited them often though. Well being young kids and not understanding that what she was doing was actually better for them, one said "You left us, you dont love us, I HATE YOU". Not being on medication this threw her into a very severe depression and within a few hours she took her own life. All of her other brothers and sisters are still alive, though there have been some close calls (youngest brother had a brain aneurysm, but only lost some sight)