PDA

View Full Version : Casting from a spellbook

Railak
2019-11-21, 08:34 PM
Is there any class/alternate class feature/feat that could allow you to cast spells straight from a spell book?

Pathfinder or D&D, either works

Tvtyrant
2019-11-21, 09:09 PM
You can always cast from a spellbook, it takes 15 minute and an open slot.

Alacritous Cogitation lets you leave open a slot and spontaneously cast any spell you know of a lower spell level from it, while Uncanny Forethought allows you to spontaneously cast open spell slots from spells you used Spell Mastery on.

The latter means you can burn your feats to become a sorcerer/wizard hybrid, which sort of works here. The former is 1/day so it isn't very good, but it really works here. Again you can just leave a slot open and spend 15 minutes to memorize it and then cast it so if you have very long adventuring days you can effectively spontaneously cast out of your book.

Railak
2019-11-21, 09:38 PM
Uncanny forethought actually says you can use a full round action to cast any spell you have an open slot for, at a -2 CL, which although the -2 CL kinda hurts, it's quite exactly what I was looking for

Tvtyrant
2019-11-21, 10:05 PM
Uncanny forethought actually says you can use a full round action to cast any spell you have an open slot for, at a -2 CL, which although the -2 CL kinda hurts, it's quite exactly what I was looking for

Yeah. It is a really good feat for Wizards, the center of the easy bake wizard build.

Buufreak
2019-11-22, 12:04 AM
Yeah. It is a really good feat for Wizards, the center of the easy bake wizard build.

I believe the feat gives a limitation of int mod times per day, though.

St Fan
2019-11-22, 04:17 AM
Another trick is to have access to the "Spells" clerical domain, and the Anyspell or Greater Anyspell spells.

Then, you can read and memorize a spell (of level 5 and below) from any spellbook in 15 minutes.
Since it's stated as a "casting time", you can also cast Greater Anyspell with the Rapid Spell metamagic feat, and do the same in 1 minute.

Wizard can have access to the Spells domain with the Arcane Disciple feat. Even better, if you're a Dweomerkeeper you can then put Anyspell and Greater Anyspell in your Spell Mantle.

And please note than when saying "any" spellbook, I mean it. It can be even one full of spells your never properly studied, including spells from another class list (like Bard or Wu Jen) as long as they are arcane.

Firest Kathon
2019-11-22, 07:16 AM
Pathfinder Arcanist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/) can prepare any spell from their spellbook as a full-round action a limited number of times per day with the Quick Study (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/arcane-exploits/quick-study-su) exploit. That spell can then be cast as normal, which for the Arcanist means like a Sorcerer.

Ruethgar
2019-11-22, 09:17 AM
A note on Anyspell, you must have a domain slot to memorize the spell into so an Arcane Disciple straight Wizard can never use it.

Akkristor
2019-11-22, 10:51 AM

No, the Int mod times per day is for the 1st half of the feat, which is to 'reserve' spell slots to then use them to spontaneously cast any spell you have Spell Mastery for.

Gauntlet
2019-11-22, 10:54 AM
No, the Int mod times per day is for the 1st half of the feat, which is to 'reserve' spell slots to then use them to spontaneously cast any spell you have Spell Mastery for.

The second half of the feat lets you use 'reserved slots' to cast any spell you know. The feat specifies that you may 'reserve' a number of slots equal to your intelligence modifier.

Unless there's some way to 'reserve' slots elsewhere, you're still limited by the cap.

Buufreak
2019-11-22, 11:33 AM
The second half of the feat lets you use 'reserved slots' to cast any spell you know. The feat specifies that you may 'reserve' a number of slots equal to your intelligence modifier.

Unless there's some way to 'reserve' slots elsewhere, you're still limited by the cap.

When you don't have to argue your stance, because it is right and other people know that.

Rijan_Sai
2019-11-22, 12:04 PM
A note on Anyspell, you must have a domain slot to memorize the spell into so an Arcane Disciple straight Wizard can never use it.

While I can definitely see that to be true, it is possible that the wording of Arcane Disciple could overrule that, as it effectively turns one spell slot into a domain slot... sort of... if you squint and turn your head slightly to the left while tilted to the right...
(I guess it is more of a simple restriction that you can only prepare one spell per level, rather than an actual "domain slot," but Anyspell
-basically (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8d/8d/0e/8d8d0ef67bb185c459637b8ddf1832e1.jpg)- replaces itself in the same slot with the chosen arcane spell.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-22, 12:57 PM
Does Practiced Spellcaster negate the -2 CL penalty to Uncanny Forethought?

Tvtyrant
2019-11-22, 01:31 PM

Yeah but that is hardly a major limitation IMO. You could place all of your highest slots that way for the entire came comfortably, and at higher levels you have so many lower level spell slots that it doesn't make much difference.

And because some spells are so crazy open you can be flexible with your normal slots anyway. Level 4 and 5 spells are haymakers, why would you leave an open slot when you can stick solid fog and polymorph into them? The rare but broken spells are in the 2-3 and 6-7 ranges, like Lehm's Finger Darts, Ray of Stupidity, Disintegrate, etc.

Buufreak
2019-11-22, 03:08 PM
I believe that depends on entirely on adventuring days. In a 5 minute day playstyle, you are absolutely right, it isn't much a limitation at all. In a playstyle that has anywhere from 8 to 12, or even more, you could potentially have 1 saved spell for each.

Covenant12
2019-11-23, 11:16 AM
Does Practiced Spellcaster negate the -2 CL penalty to Uncanny Forethought?I honestly think so. Uncanny forethought describes
The spell is resolved as normal, but for the purpose of the spell, your caster level is reduced by two.

Practiced spellcaster raises your caster level +4, with a cap of your HD. It could get confusing if you add more caster level modifiers, but Wizard9 in loincloth and only these three feats should cast the full-round action version at caster level 9.

Anyspell is cool, but quite problematic. It wasn't worded very well to begin with, and adding the Initiate of Mystra feat adds Anyspell and Greater Anyspell to the cleric list.
So an Initiate of Mystra Cleric without the Spell domain has Anyspell but not in a domain slot, oy. I'm honestly not sure an exceedingly strict RAW reading comes to a functional result at all. This is really just a "reasonable discussion with DM" category, which this board isn't fond of.
(This disapproval has merit, this would be quite bad for an RPGA event, say.)

Thurbane
2019-11-24, 02:54 PM
1E or 2E used to have a rule, unsure of it was optional or not, where you could casting directly from a spellbook like the spell page was a scroll (i.e. it would erase the spell from the book). Maybe it was a house rule?

Unaware of any such rule for 3.X though...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-24, 03:04 PM
1E or 2E used to have a rule, unsure of it was optional or not, where you could casting directly from a spellbook like the spell page was a scroll (i.e. it would erase the spell from the book). Maybe it was a house rule?

Unaware of any such rule for 3.X though...It'd be a good way to get rid of any unwanted spells you'll never use again in order to free up space for more useful ones. Like sleep and all of the other dumb spells that have HD caps.

Thurbane
2019-11-24, 04:00 PM
It'd be a good way to get rid of any unwanted spells you'll never use again in order to free up space for more useful ones. Like sleep and all of the other dumb spells that have HD caps.

Did a bit of a Google search, and found the source: AD&D 1E Unearthed Arcana, page 80: Casting spells directly from books. Basically, you cast directly from the book more-or-less as if it was a scroll, with a 1% chance per spell level of accidentally deleting the spells before and after it in the book, and a flat 1% chance of destroying the whole book.

Would be hard to replicate in 3.X, since lower level spells would cost more than an equivalent scroll (once you take scribing costs into account), while higher levels spells would cost much less than an equivalent scroll.

St Fan
2019-11-25, 04:57 AM
Anyspell is cool, but quite problematic. It wasn't worded very well to begin with, and adding the Initiate of Mystra feat adds Anyspell and Greater Anyspell to the cleric list.
So an Initiate of Mystra Cleric without the Spell domain has Anyspell but not in a domain slot, oy. I'm honestly not sure an exceedingly strict RAW reading comes to a functional result at all. This is really just a "reasonable discussion with DM" category, which this board isn't fond of.
(This disapproval has merit, this would be quite bad for an RPGA event, say.)

Yes, that's my point too. You're forced to apply DM fiat for these spells rather than try a RAW reading. Note that an Archivist can also learn and cast Domain spells, despite not having any Domain slots.

The spell description mentions "Domain slot" solely because the spell was introduced as Domain-only. Once you can cast them outside domain slot, you need to read it simply as "the slot from which the spell is cast" and nothing else.

That's the basis of my plan of using Arcane Disciple to get the spells, then put anyspell and greater anyspell it in the Spell Mantle of a Dweomerkeeper (arcane side), and then... retrain the Arcane Disciple feat, because you don't need it anymore.