PDA

View Full Version : Where have the calendars gone?

Aeliren
2019-11-22, 03:13 AM
So, I was hoping to buy some of the older calendars in PDF form, mostly because I like the art and it's like having extra comic strips, and I can actually afford buying stuff online now. Can't seem to find them on Gumroad, though. Did I miss something, or am I looking in the wrong place? If they're gone, are they going to come back eventually?

Thanks in advance.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-11-22, 12:36 PM
They tend to come back just for December, as a limited time offer. Technically not necessary, since they have the files anyway, but I can understand not having a limited interest item like a calendar up for forever either.

emilymonroe
2019-11-23, 06:12 AM
They tend to come back just for December, as a limited time offer. Technically not necessary, since they have the files anyway, but I can understand not having a limited interest item like a calendar up for forever either.

Thank you so much.

Finagle
2019-11-23, 08:25 AM
They don't just offer things for sale. They play games trying to manipulate demand all the time. They force you to keep up with their news if you want to buy their things. I'm sure someone read in a book somewhere that you're supposed to do this to your fans once you think they'll put up with it.

The Giant
2019-11-24, 11:46 PM
They don't just offer things for sale. They play games trying to manipulate demand all the time. They force you to keep up with their news if you want to buy their things. I'm sure someone read in a book somewhere that you're supposed to do this to your fans once you think they'll put up with it.

As wonderfully charitable as this is to me and my motivations, no, this is not why the digital calendars get taken off the Gumroad site for most of the year.

The reason is that they are a very, very low-selling item, largely because digital wall calendars don't make a lot of sense in the first place, and ones that are out of date make even less. Last year, I made exactly 11 sales of all the older digital calendars, combined, by far the lowest selling of anything I make. I would prefer, therefore, not to clutter my Store page with a list of items that hardly anyone is going to buy, because I think the more crowded that page is, the less likely people are going to scroll through it. However, every single year, someone starts a thread like this and asks about the old calendars, so I turn them back on.*

If no one had asked about them this year, I wouldn't bring them back. As it is, I'll probably turn them back on when the ornament goes on sale this week. I'm going to bundle the 2018 and 2019 calendars together with a discount, which means I need to do some housekeeping with the Gumroad site rather than just flipping a switch.

And seriously: I have zero interest in manipulating anyone's time, and if I could figure out ways to make sure people knew that there was stuff for sale without announcing it over and over, I would. As it is, I can plaster it on every square inch of the website and people still don't see it and then get upset at me when something they wanted sells out.

* I mean, the only reason I sell current digital calendars is because people started asking for them. It would have never occurred to me, and they're still a low-selling item that I wouldn't otherwise bother with except that they cost me nothing to make.

Aeliren
2019-11-25, 09:27 PM
Whoa, wasn't expecting a reply from the Giant himself.

Thanks for the response, I understand the reasoning.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2019-12-04, 02:32 AM
Sir, Dan Randall here, ISN News.

It has been widely speculated that the MitD is — in fact — Kosh. Will you confirm? Is it confirmed in this years wall calendar?