PDA

View Full Version : Want to build an Australian accented blood hunter.

Sariel Vailo
2019-11-22, 07:15 AM
If you are an Australian I'd love it if you could put some of the slang you use,Please and thank you.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 08:14 AM
I worry if I talk common aussie I'll set of enough profanity alerts and get myself banned.

Partially in jest, but more serious than you'd think. Around our grandparents or employer we display a cleaner vocabulary, but f-bombs in casual conversation will often go by as if not a single profanity was uttered. Key part is there is no emphasis put on the word when used. If you draw attention to a cuss, you've done it wrong.

Next, when someone asks you something, saying what isn't the answer is also normal.

G'day mate how are ya goin'?
Not bad.

What have you been up to?
Not much

How much was that?
Oh wasn't cheap

Where is this place?
Oh it's not far

When are we going?
Not long now

Usually I'd link videos, but considering the amount of swearing in them, I'll instead suggest looking up Carl Barron (Australian comedian), he does a few bits on our slang and verbal mannerisms that aren't as forced as many other videos I've seen. His stuff is pretty accurate.

nickl_2000
2019-11-22, 08:21 AM
Just watch Crocodile Dundee and copy everything Paul Hogan says in that

jaappleton
2019-11-22, 08:23 AM
I believe women are often referred to as Sheila? Is that correct?

Oh, and in Australia they have spiders larger than birds. So... if you come across a giant spider, remark about how small and normal it is where you come from.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 08:45 AM
"All birds are Sheila, and all blokes are Bruce" , mostly recognised as a joke, but still gets used often enough.

The large spiders are nothing to worry about. The small ones are the ones you want to not get bit by.

Paul Hogan is just 'Hoges' here. Dundee is a very sanitised "made for American cinema" portrayal, and can be a bit of a parody at times.

Wolf Creek (movies) have a much more accurate and natural dialogue (outside of the horror and murder parts... we're not animals).

JakOfAllTirades
2019-11-22, 08:48 AM
Has anyone seen a 5E stat block for a "Drop Bear"?

jaappleton
2019-11-22, 08:50 AM
"All birds are Sheila, and all blokes are Bruce" , mostly recognised as a joke, but still gets used often enough.

The large spiders are nothing to worry about. The small ones are the ones you want to not get bit by.

Paul Hogan is just 'Hoges' here. Dundee is a very sanitised "made for American cinema" portrayal, and can be a bit of a parody at times.

Wolf Creek (movies) have a much more accurate and natural dialogue (outside of the horror and murder parts... we're not animals).

Please tell me if this is true:

Mice are an absolute plague.

I remember hearing that mice have no natural predators in Australia, since they're not native to the land, and every 7-11 years or so, a plague of mice, borderline biblical proportions, I'm talking waves of hundreds if not thousands of mice, will sweep across the farms of Australia and devour food. The mice population grows, they have no predators, but then the crops die and there's no food to sustain such a massive mice population and the mice die off.

And this happens like once every decade or so.

Is this real?

No brains
2019-11-22, 08:54 AM
Please take this laziest, lowest common denominator resource: The TF2 Sniper. :smalltongue:
https://youtu.be/MFgv9iUfs6g

Hytheter
2019-11-22, 08:57 AM

I think people not used to living with huntsmans might disagree with you about what counts as "small" for a spider. :P

I reckon if you showed the average person a funnel-web and asked them whether it was big or small, they would say "oh god, oh god, no, please no, no no no no no, get that f-----g thing away from me" even if they didn't know it was the second most dangerous spider in the world.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 09:05 AM
Mice are pests, but we have snakes, predatory birds, lizards and big spiders that eat them.
Even so, those plagues do happen, though they are mostly 'localised plagues', not a nation wide thing.
Sometimes they'll get into an area without such predators and breed like crazy, feeding off farmland. They don't tend to spread that well and burn themselves out of food fast as their not adapted to living off the natural landscape, so if the farms are spread apart enough, the populations starve out before they spread too far.
Still a problem though, our farmers have enough trouble with the droughts, kangaroos, fires, and emus. Those don't have the 10-20 year cycles, they just ARE.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 09:14 AM
I reckon if you showed the average person a funnel-web and asked them whether it was big or small, they would say "oh god, oh god, no, please no, no no no no no, get that f-----g thing away from me" even if they didn't know it was the second most dangerous spider in the world.

Key difference will be you might see a funnelweb once in 5+ years. Redbacks? A near constant if you don't live in the city.
Was cleaning leaves out the gutters, and counting I came across somewhere in the mid 30's.

Ravinsild
2019-11-22, 10:38 AM
Mice are pests, but we have snakes, predatory birds, lizards and big spiders that eat them.
Even so, those plagues do happen, though they are mostly 'localised plagues', not a nation wide thing.
Sometimes they'll get into an area without such predators and breed like crazy, feeding off farmland. They don't tend to spread that well and burn themselves out of food fast as their not adapted to living off the natural landscape, so if the farms are spread apart enough, the populations starve out before they spread too far.
Still a problem though, our farmers have enough trouble with the droughts, kangaroos, fires, and emus. Those don't have the 10-20 year cycles, they just ARE.

I've also heard feral cats are a massive problem that are decimating ground nesting bird populations. Like house cats, but now wild, and now there's so so many. Saw it on Joe Rogan podcast though so who knows.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 12:34 PM
I've also heard feral cats are a massive problem that are decimating ground nesting bird populations. Like house cats, but now wild, and now there's so so many. Saw it on Joe Rogan podcast though so who knows.

That's also real. It doesn't take many cats, nor do they need to be feral to cause an issue.
Cats hunt. They are predators. Even well fed, a cat will hunt and kill small creatures. Sometimes for more food, sometimes as gifts for their people, and some times because they are tiny tigers that live in your house.

I've owned a few cats in my life, loved them dearly, and am grateful for the amount of mice they have caught... But they kill birds constantly.
Try and put bells on their necks to warn the birds? They learn to nat20 those stealth checks anyway, running at full speed without setting off a jingle.

LibraryOgre
2019-11-22, 01:31 PM
Just remember: Drow are Australian, since they come from Down Under.

Undyne
2019-11-22, 04:28 PM
Just remember: Drow are Australian, since they come from Down Under.

By Corelleon, don't say that!

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 09:58 PM
By Corelleon, don't say that!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/72fadddc92886d44fd9eb61993148628/tumblr_oxjwyyt8lI1sjoxqeo1_640.jpg

there were quite a few of these, but mostly have a lot of swearing in them

Aussiehams
2019-11-22, 10:29 PM
Your best mate and your worst enemy will both be refferef to as a c*nt.
And when you're in a tavern, ask for a schooner. Pots are a waste of time.

Cheesegear
2019-11-22, 10:32 PM
A handy guide:

Calling someone 'mate', who is not your mate, is basically dropping a C-bomb. Prepare to fight. South Park did it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfKdNxIOcQ)
Dropping a C-bomb on your mate, however, is fine. Everyone will laugh. Even ladies.

'Mate' and 'C-Bomb' are catch-all words that simply mean 'person', and their use greatly depends on voice tone.

'Old Mate' - Nice person who you can't remember the name of.
'Your Mate' - Someone who you don't like, but someone else does. Only ever spoken with derision and scorn.

"...Not my mate." *Shrug* - Someone who came in with you, but has goof'd horrendously. Other people are now saying that you're now responsible for the idiot on the floor, or the idiot about to get into a fight. You are not involved in whatever has just happened.

"Oi!" - Used to get someone's attention. Especially, "Oi, mate.", or "Oi, c***." You'll know which one to use. :smallwink:

"Streuth!" or "Bloody Oath!" - F-bomb.
"**** me dead." - I was not expecting that.

"She'll be 'right (alright)." - "I can definitely handle this dangerous situation." Note: This phrase should only be used when the situation is definitely not handle-able.

"Yeah, nah." - Means no.
"Nah, yeah." - Means yes.

Kill - or tame - every cat you see. Ancestral hatred for wild pigs and boars. If you want to go Northern, you also hate Rabbits.
Giant Spiders are not dangerous. You can see them. It's fine. It's the little spiders that live underground and pop out with no warning, that you need to look out for. Except you can't look out for them, 'cause they're invisible. Don't worry. The big, non-dangerous spiders eat the little, dangerous spiders. Big Spiders are your Friends.

If you absolutely must kill a giant spider...Do it by proxy, by feeding it to a bird or lizard...But not a snake. Never feed snakes.
All snakes are terrifying...Except the big pythons. Pythons just want to hug. As always, Pythons are your friend, and like to eat cats and rabbits.
The fast, invisible snakes that simply look like sticks until they move, are lethal, and will bite straight through work jeans and will kill you.

If in doubt, remember; Australia is opposite land. Big things are not dangerous, little things are lethal.
Exception; Birds. 'Nuff said. Also, Crocodiles are basically dinosaurs, and will **** you up. A Cassowary (a large bird) is also a dinosaur.

'Swooping bastard!' - Anything that flies, that attacks you.

If it isn't the strongest beer, it factually tastes like urine. This is fact. If other people can't taste the literal urine, they are wrong.

Never, ever say "G'day, mate." unless you want to prove to everyone that you are not, in fact, a local.

TF2 Sniper is a lame Australian.
Roadhog from Overwatch is best Australian.

Aussiehams
2019-11-22, 11:02 PM
The worst thing you can ever be is "Jack" or a "Jack c*nt".
Basicly someone who doesn't look after his mates, or avoids the hard stuff. Be very careful how you use it.

Sariel Vailo
2019-11-23, 01:36 AM
A handy guide:

Calling someone 'mate', who is not your mate, is basically dropping a C-bomb. Prepare to fight. South Park did it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfKdNxIOcQ)
Dropping a C-bomb on your mate, however, is fine. Everyone will laugh. Even ladies.

'Mate' and 'C-Bomb' are catch-all words that simply mean 'person', and their use greatly depends on voice tone.

'Your Mate' - Someone who you don't like, but someone else does. Only ever spoken with derision and scorn.

"...Not my mate." *Shrug* - Someone who came in with you, but has goof'd horrendously. Other people are now saying that you're now responsible for the idiot on the floor, or the idiot about to get into a fight. You are not involved in whatever has just happened.

"Oi!" - Used to get someone's attention. Especially, "Oi, mate.", or "Oi, c***." You'll know which one to use. :smallwink:

"She'll be 'right (alright)." - "I can definitely handle this dangerous situation." Note: This phrase should only be used when the situation is definitely not handle-able.

"Yeah, nah." - Means no.

Kill - or tame - every cat you see. Ancestral hatred for wild pigs and boars. If you want to go Northern, you also hate Rabbits.
Giant Spiders are not dangerous. You can see them. It's fine. It's the little spiders that live underground and pop out with no warning, that you need to look out for. Except you can't look out for them, 'cause they're invisible. Don't worry. The big, non-dangerous spiders eat the little, dangerous spiders. Big Spiders are your Friends.

If you absolutely must kill a giant spider...Do it by proxy, by feeding it to a bird or lizard...But not a snake. Never feed snakes.
All snakes are terrifying...Except the big pythons. Pythons just want to hug. As always, Pythons are your friend, and like to eat cats and rabbits.
The fast, invisible snakes that simply look like sticks until they move, are lethal, and will bite straight through work jeans and will kill you.

If in doubt, remember; Australia is opposite land. Big things are not dangerous, little things are lethal.
Exception; Birds. 'Nuff said. Also, Crocodiles are basically dinosaurs, and will **** you up. A Cassowary (a large bird) is also a dinosaur.

If it isn't the strongest beer, it factually tastes like urine. This is fact. If other people can't taste the literal urine, they are wrong.

Never, ever say "G'day, mate." unless you want to prove to everyone that you are not, in fact, a local.

I like the way ya think

Cheesegear
2019-11-23, 08:32 AM
The worst thing you can ever be is "Jack" or a "Jack c*nt".
Basicly someone who doesn't look after his mates, or avoids the hard stuff. Be very careful how you use it.

Also, replace 'Jack' in both instances with 'Dog'.
Do not, ever, dog the boys.

Beleriphon
2019-11-23, 11:40 AM

That's less of an issue in Australia. New Zealand its a huge, huge problem. New Zealand doesn't really have any large predators outside of birds. And it affects animals like the kiwi the most.

Also, cassowaries are the worst. Literally the worst. They're big, can kick a person to death, and reasonably intelligent. Also, make you can always see both the cassowary chicks and the father. If you get between papa and his babies be prepared to get kicked to dead.

Cheesegear
2019-11-23, 05:19 PM
Also, cassowaries are the worst. Literally the worst. They're big, can kick a person to death, and reasonably intelligent. Also, make you can always see both the cassowary chicks and the father. If you get between papa and his babies be prepared to get kicked to dead.

They can run ~50 kms per hour, and vertical leap 2m. If they decide to attack you, you are dead. Cassowaries have a near 100% kill rate. There aren't many Cassowary attacks per year. But every single one results in a death, not an injury. Their jump attack gets over most fences and they will land on your head and shoulders every single time.

They are essentially velociraptors.

Safety Sword
2019-11-24, 05:54 AM
As an Australian, I endorse this thread.

Good On Ya –> Good work (or said sarcastically, the opposite)
Ankle Biter –> Child ("Sharon has 3 ankle biters at home")
Coppers –> Policemen ("Watch out for Coppers")
Crook -> Sick ("I feel a bit crook")
Strewth! –> An exclamation of surprise
Tucker –> Food ("Time to grab some tucker")
Woop Woop –> middle of nowhere (“He lives out woop woop”)
Tea –> Dinner ("It's tea time")
Cuppa -> Cup of tea ("Time for a cuppa")

Even writing this down makes me wonder at our own usage of words. We truly are an inventive and marvellous society :smallbiggrin:

Cheesegear
2019-11-24, 09:48 AM
Good On Ya –> Good work (or said sarcastically, the opposite)

'Good one, ****head.' is far more common. What those four asterisk'd letters are, is up to you.

Ankle Biter –> Child ("Sharon has 3 ankle biters at home")
Coppers –> Policemen ("Watch out for Coppers")
Crook -> Sick ("I feel a bit crook")

I don't think those are Australian slang words. I think those are slang words, in general.
That being said...

'Cobber' - It's another, another word for 'mate'.

Tea –> Dinner ("It's tea time")
Cuppa -> Cup of tea ("Time for a cuppa")

That's just our Commonwealth showing. A lot of our slang is directly lifted from Britain.

To make any word Australian, take the first one or two syllables of any word, and replace the rest with '-nga' if it ends in a consonant, or '-zza' or '-zzie' if the syllable ends in a vowel.

Zhorn
2019-11-24, 10:18 AM
To make any word Australian, take the first one or two syllables of any word, and replace the rest with '-nga' if it ends in a consonant, or '-zza' or '-zzie' if the syllable ends in a vowel.

Sanga - a sandwich

Mozzie - Mosquito

-zza is most often reserved for names
Dazza - Daniel or Darren

jaappleton
2019-11-24, 10:22 AM
A handy guide:

"Yeah, nah." - Means no.

I feel like I just received an education far more valuable than absolutely anything I’ve ever been taught before.