PDA

View Full Version : Setting a game in the Astral Plane

Klaus Teufel
2019-11-22, 07:18 AM
I want to set a game in the Githyanki capital city, which is set on a dead god in the Astral plane. Any ideas to deal with gravity or the lack of it? What fauna would live in such a city (cranium rats for starters - would there be flying things?)
I also imagine bored Gith would hold 'wild hunts' on occasion targeting non-gith who are otherwise ignored.

MtoF says that the Gith raids can take anything, up to and including buildings. Any vermin in those will end up on Tu'narath. The Gith also raid and combat Mindflayers, so creatures associated with them will end up there too. As will almost any sentient species, as the Gith take slaves, treat them poorly, and can't be bothered to be strict about security in their home city.

Fauna that thrives will have to be carnivores or omnivores, as plants won't live without sunlight.

Ideas I'd also like to consider: do dead gods have gravity? I hope so, 3d combats are a pain. How far does it extend? Can someone just jump off the surface?
Further suggestions welcome!

Dakar
2019-11-22, 07:56 AM
I cant tell you much about the Gith, but i do know that gravity in DnD works differently. All gravity is the same regardless of mass, only the range is effected by the size of an object.

Edit:
Here is an image that explains it for a spelljammer. If you want to know more about it, google spelljammer. A lot of the space stuff from older editions can be a great source of inspiration.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/4/49/Air_gravity_diagram.png/revision/latest?cb=20180729200307