PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best use for level 1 Maneuvers?

Amechra
2019-11-22, 10:53 AM
As of the Class Feature Variants UA, you can have a first level character with two 1d6 superiority dice and three maneuvers known (Variant Human picking up Martial Adept, combined with the Superior Technique fighting style). Where would you go from there?

I mean, other than Battlemaster.

Zhorn
2019-11-22, 11:59 AM
If there was a heavy hitter in the group *cough*rogue*cough*, Commander's Strike is hard to compete with, as you essentially allow a second sneak attack per round.

stoutstien
2019-11-22, 12:07 PM
If there was a heavy hitter in the group *cough*rogue*cough*, Commander's Strike is hard to compete with, as you essentially allow a second sneak attack per round.
Trading 1 attack, a bonus action, and a reaction is a pretty steep price for a single attack. Could just uses menacing/ tripping strike and be done with it.

Man_Over_Game
2019-11-22, 01:36 PM
Trading 1 attack, a bonus action, and a reaction is a pretty steep price for a single attack. Could just uses menacing/ tripping strike and be done with it.

Most Rogues will likely be ranged attackers or will be in a safe position, and won't utilize their Reaction too much. Assuming the character and the Rogue have similar weapons/stats, that's 7 more damage your team is gaining from this strategy, on top of the additional +3.5 you grant to the attack. Not only that, but it gains in value over time. A Rogue's Sneak Attack is one of the highest damage scaling sources in the game, and the Fighter will continue to get more attacks (meaning it's less of a cost as you level up, reducing the Fighter's damage from 0% at low levels to 50% at level 5).

What starts out at losing 100% of the Fighter's damage for 7 more damage from the Rogue eventually becomes 50% damage for 21 at level 6.

stoutstien
2019-11-22, 01:45 PM
Most Rogues will likely be ranged attackers or will be in a safe position, and won't utilize their Reaction too much. Assuming the character and the Rogue have similar weapons/stats, that's 7 more damage your team is gaining from this strategy, on top of the additional +3.5 you grant to the attack. Not only that, but it gains in value over time. A Rogue's Sneak Attack is one of the highest damage scaling sources in the game, and the Fighter will continue to get more attacks (meaning it's less of a cost as you level up, reducing the Fighter's damage from 0% at low levels to 50% at level 5).

What starts out at losing 100% of the Fighter's damage for 7 more damage from the Rogue eventually becomes 50% damage for 21 at level 6.

At later level it does become a solid option but for lower levels it's hard sell. the UA fighting style is 2 dice and three maneuvers so room for options.

da newt
2019-11-22, 02:25 PM
I think using precision attack to make up for the -5 of GWM or SS is one of the most rewarding / efficient uses. The best part is you don't need to declare until after you see what you roll so you should know if it's hopeless or unneeded or likely to add that sweet +10.

Ravinsild
2019-11-22, 02:34 PM
I had been strongly considering getting that feat on my Kenku Beast Master Ranger. I'm not giving up my archery fighting style, but I'd like some support maneuvers to be able to peel more, like disarming or pushing or what-have-you. I think it lends a lot of utility and support to help out front line characters to remove some pressure.