PDA

View Full Version : Blood hunter advice

Sirithhyando
2019-11-22, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone,

My blood hunter is going to turn level 3 probably tonight.
I'm unsure about the order to chose.

Her stats : STR12, DEX 18, CONS 14, INTEL 14, WIS 17, CHA 12
She's a half-drow elf. The game is spelljammer so we're often in "space".

She was an illithid slave, used for her blood as a spell component (DM got some surprise for her coming), well, she was experimented on very often. She's proficient with the alchemist supplies, herbalism kit and poisonner's kit. Oh, and archery fighting style.
I'm thinking of multiclassing her as a ranger later, probably after level 5 so i can get extra attack.

I'm pretty sure undead won't be that rare in this game so ghostslayer could be good. It also seems to be the most straightforward and easy order to play.
Only the Lycan doesn't really make sense for her since i'm going more for range though, we never really know what lies ahead (its also an order which seems very fun to play)
Order of the mutant seems to be the best choice considering her BG, though the mutagen seems kind of annoying to deal with, not sure about this order.
Profane soul seems OK, i'd like to consider that one my favorite but i can't seem to find a way to make use of it. Though i think it would be the best one to complement the spellcasting of the ranger if i eventually multiclass ranger.

Anyway, i'd like your advice on what's to come for her or your insight on your experience with the blood hunter.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-11-22, 09:07 PM
One caveat about Bloodhunter Multi-classing: your Crimson Rite Damage die is based of Blood Hunter class level, but the HP damage you take from activating the Rite is based on total character level. So you get punished for every non-Blood Hunter level you have every time you activate a Crimson Rite. Be careful.

Order of the Profane Soul is the most generally useful/versatile Order, and I'd recommend that one for the campaign you're in. It's got lots of options, and good RP potential as well.

Order of the Ghost Slayer is best for campaigns with a LOT of undead, such as Curse of Strahd. I'd make that your 2nd choice, if you're sure they'll be a common foe.

Order of the Lycan, you've already ruled out.

Order of the Mutant is, IMHO, a hot mess I wouldn't recommend, ever. Just an annoying, arbitrary pile of bonuses and penalties with "I drank something" passed off as flavor text.

Sirithhyando
2019-11-25, 08:00 AM
Thanks Jack, i appreciate the advice.
Ended up going the Profane soul route.

Ventruenox
2019-11-25, 11:33 AM
Utility cantrips will serve you better than damaging spells from the Warlock list. Keep in mind that you are a glass cannon martial character, so try to stay out of melee.

The Undying and Celestial Patrons work best for a Profane Soul, since you gain access to a bit of healing. Celestial will allow you to use Blood Maledicts as a pseudo-Healing Word, and Undying racks up a small amount of HP recovery with each kill.

If you know that you may end up with longer battles, you potentially have a unique opportunity for some crazy damage output. If you utilize the Class Features Variants UA (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf), then adding in a level or two of Ranger would make you a powerhouse. The Ranger Variant would let you have a concentration-free Hunter's Mark a number of times up to your Wisdom modifier. Warlock list gives you Hex. Your Crimson Rite bonus damage can stack with both spells, giving you three sources to up the damage of each attack with your bonus action.

A second level in Ranger gives two more spell slots per day, the utility of the Ranger spell list (again, the UA allowing daily preparation of known spells makes this amazing for out of combat versatility), and a second fighting style or two Druid Cantrips.

Feats worth considering: Observant (to round out that odd Wisdom score), Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, Tough.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-11-25, 07:40 PM
Utility cantrips will serve you better than damaging spells from the Warlock list. Keep in mind that you are a glass cannon martial character, so try to stay out of melee.

The Undying and Celestial Patrons work best for a Profane Soul, since you gain access to a bit of healing. Celestial will allow you to use Blood Maledicts as a pseudo-Healing Word, and Undying racks up a small amount of HP recovery with each kill.

If you know that you may end up with longer battles, you potentially have a unique opportunity for some crazy damage output. If you utilize the Class Features Variants UA (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf), then adding in a level or two of Ranger would make you a powerhouse. The Ranger Variant would let you have a concentration-free Hunter's Mark a number of times up to your Wisdom modifier. Warlock list gives you Hex. Your Crimson Rite bonus damage can stack with both spells, giving you three sources to up the damage of each attack with your bonus action.

A second level in Ranger gives two more spell slots per day, the utility of the Ranger spell list (again, the UA allowing daily preparation of known spells makes this amazing for out of combat versatility), and a second fighting style or two Druid Cantrips.

Feats worth considering: Observant (to round out that odd Wisdom score), Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, Tough.

I played a Blood Hunter with a 2-level Ranger dip like this a couple of years ago. The damage output was excellent (esp. w/TWF!) but it takes a LOT of bonus actions to bring everything online. If you have the opportunity to "power up" before combat, it's awesome. Otherwise, it takes three rounds of bonus actions to activate your Crimson Rite, Hex, and Hunter's Mark. The fight could be over by then.

And yes, the Tough feat is highly recommended for Blood Hunters because they need the extra HP.