PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow a steel defender or homunculus to use an item?

Spiritchaser
2019-11-22, 02:59 PM
More specifically a spell storing item from the level 11 power?

The RAW clearly doesn’t allow for this, and since the creature in question must hold the item, this is probably easier for the steel defender than for some of the things a homunculus could be, but it’s interesting to think about in either case.

In the case of the steel defender, the default action is dodge, and your bonus action commanded actions are dash, disengage, Help, Hide or search, plus rend and repair from the stat block

In the case of the homunculus, the default is again dodge and your bonus action commanded actions are dash, disengage, Help, Hide or search, plus force strike from the stat block

Clearly using an tem isn’t on the list, but then neither is opening a cupboard door (or any other object interaction)

There are of course potentially serious balance issues in play here. Allowing a pet to use a spell storing item functionality doubles up your concentration slots. That’s hardly trivial.

Anyway, I’m curious to know if anyone would consider allowing this?

HappyDaze
2019-11-22, 04:21 PM
Is there anything that says the steel defender does/does not have hands? Sure, the picture shows an example that looks like a dog, but there's no real reason it couldn't look like Ultron, right? Of course, regardless of whether it has hands or not, it does not seem to be able to use the Use an Object action (but it can still use the lesser free object interaction as part of whatever action it takes). Also note that a steel defender is a great pack mule, carrying an extra 210 lbs. and requiring no consumables for itself.

stoutstien
2019-11-22, 04:30 PM
The SSI doesn't use the 'use item' action. It has a complete new option that is just 'an action'.
So as long as the NPC or PC in question can use any action and hold it in anyway it's fair game.

Expected
2019-11-22, 04:37 PM
If steel defenders or homunculi are anything like an unseen servant or retainers, I would rule that they can.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-22, 04:42 PM
More specifically a spell storing item from the level 11 power?

The RAW clearly doesn’t allow for this, and since the creature in question must hold the item, this is probably easier for the steel defender than for some of the things a homunculus could be, but it’s interesting to think about in either case.

In the playtest, the SSI said to use the item you had to have it "in hand" which rather explicitly excluded creatures without hands. They changed it to "hold" which is more ambiguous: a dog can hold an object with its teeth.

In the case of the steel defender, the default action is dodge, and your bonus action commanded actions are dash, disengage, Help, Hide or search, plus rend and repair from the stat block

In the case of the homunculus, the default is again dodge and your bonus action commanded actions are dash, disengage, Help, Hide or search, plus force strike from the stat block

Clearly using an tem isn’t on the list, but then neither is opening a cupboard door (or any other object interaction)

I think the key here is that the description of both the homonculus and the iron defender limit the actions they can take in combat to those listed. Outside of combat, it follows your orders. To me, the clear implication is that outside of combat it can take any action any other creature could, including using an item, including the SSI.

There are of course potentially serious balance issues in play here. Allowing a pet to use a spell storing item functionality doubles up your concentration slots. That’s hardly trivial.

Anyway, I’m curious to know if anyone would consider allowing this?

Yes, again, outside of combat appears to be allowable by RAW, and I would let it be used this way. So you could have your pet pre-buff someone before initiative is rolled, but not once the shooting starts.