PDA

View Full Version : Some help with two new spells

Rykaj
2007-10-19, 06:42 AM
I could use some suggestions to make 2 new spells which will serve as a reward for my players at the end of a quest. I need to keep the names secret in case some inquisitive player goes looking around the internet. Probably won't happen but I just don't want to ruin it :smallamused:

They're supposed to be sort of opposed spells but work in roughly the same way. The idea is the sky opens up about 40 ft above the ground and for one spell fire comes pounding down with great force. So yeah, kinda like a flamestrike only this time arcane and a lot stronger. The other spell works the same but ice comes down instead of fire.

I want to make the spells level 6 and I think they should be evocation. Something I'd really like it to have is a 1 round casting time (like summoning spells have). It makes the spells more difficult to cast but possibly more versatile in use. And it could also be a counterbalance for a spell that might be somewhat powerful for level 6.

What I'd like to ask you is:
What would a good damage amount be for this spell?
How big an area should it affect?
I was thinking of adding an extra effect like maybe falling prone or something else (a status effect maybe) on a failed save. Do or don't, and what kind?

What's troubling me is that I don't really want the area to be bigger than a fireball, but with the casting time it would be very difficult to aim. Any bigger and it might become too powerful. What I'm looking for is a spell that's 'worth it' without making all their following encounters a cakewalk. So I thought I should ask you all for suggestions, since you have experience in the area :smallwink:

Thanks in advance!

Xefas
2007-10-19, 07:08 AM
Well, I think I'd compare it to Freezing Sphere (a 6th level evocation spell), which deals 1d6 per caster level (max 15d6) cold damage (reflex save for half) in a 10' radius as a standard action, and also has a freezing effect if it strikes a body of liquid.

So, I think a 6th level evocation spell that is a whole round could easily do 1d6 elemental damage per caster level (max 15d6) in a 10' radius with a reflex save for half, and also have the extra effect of a failed reflex save knocking them prone. Just do one for fire and one for ice.

Heck, bumping it up to 15' or 20' radius would probably be fine as well.

Capoeira
2007-10-19, 07:24 AM
I have a request-NO, a demand!

Did you ever play Final Fantasy 7? In it, there are summon spells that consist of a long0ish casting time, and then the view reach up into the sky, the entire, planet, or the far reaches of space (depending on which level of the spell) and you see a fearsome good-alighned dragon-god (Bahamut, thank you) do his little hadoken down on your enemies from there! Its a big flamestrike-esque downward beam like you described, and I think its right just perfect for this.. plus imagine the description text????

Breath of Bahamut/Tiamat
Level 6 Evocation/Conjuration(incase one of them cant evoke?)
Casting time: 1 standard action
descriptors: fire, ice
duration: 1 round (see description)
save: reflex half
SR: NO(thatll make it worth it by itself)
Description:

After being cast, this spell summons the power of the dragon god (B/T) to strike all enemies from above within a 20 ft radius.
The effect starts as a bright beam of light that widens to 20 ft, upon which time a beam of pure elemental destruction impacts the targeted area, dealing 1d6 damage/level (max 15d6) and affecting all damaged creatures with 1d6 rounds of (burning or freeze) effects
Flying creatures inside that airspace take full effect. aswell. It a flying creature struck fails a reflex save and is then frozen, that creature then begins to fall unless other effects would cause it not to (i.e. slowfall, etc.)

Oh, I know its in my next campaign now.

Xefas
2007-10-19, 08:14 AM
I have a request-NO, a demand!

Did you ever play Final Fantasy 7? In it, there are summon spells that consist of a long0ish casting time, and then the view reach up into the sky, the entire, planet, or the far reaches of space (depending on which level of the spell) and you see a fearsome good-alighned dragon-god (Bahamut, thank you) do his little hadoken down on your enemies from there! Its a big flamestrike-esque downward beam like you described, and I think its right just perfect for this.. plus imagine the description text????

Warning: Some Final Fantasy Summons can take up to 21 rounds to take effect... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTc9sLmOR0A)