PDA

View Full Version : they are STICK FIGURES!!!

Geekfather
2007-10-19, 07:50 AM
So... why am I tearing up seeing Roy and his baby brother?
:frown:

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-19, 07:53 AM
Because the Burlew is so rich in his artistry that he is able to so effectively convey such emotions of grief and pity?

Tengu
2007-10-19, 07:55 AM
Rich is an awesome writer. You'd be tearing up even if they were sprites badly ripped from a video game, or poop figurines.

Ichneumon
2007-10-19, 07:59 AM
So... why am I tearing up seeing Roy and his baby brother?
:frown:

They aren't stick figures. They are real people. They have real personalities. Real I tell you, real I say.:smallamused:

Threeshades
2007-10-19, 08:01 AM
They aren't stick figures. They are real people. They have real personalities. Real I tell you, real I say.:smallamused:

Real stick figures.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-19, 08:05 AM
If a novel can make you tear up with absolutely no visual cues whatsoever... how is it surprising that a stick figure comic can do the same?

lukelightning
2007-10-19, 08:06 AM
yeah, I was just about to start a thread titled "Curse you, Rich Burlew, for making me cry!"

Pantler
2007-10-19, 08:09 AM
Because the Burlew is so rich in his artistry that he is able to so effectively convey such emotions of grief and pity?

Pun intended?

BobTheDog
2007-10-19, 08:59 AM
Pun intended?

That's the Pun-Pun of puns...

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-19, 09:00 AM
@^ By the blazes, that's a pun, alright... Sophoclean reference, it is, as well.

EdgarVerona
2007-10-19, 09:12 AM
Aye... I think for most people the quality of art has little to do with the emotions or storytelling involved. Humans can pick up even the subtlest hint of emotion from objects, much of our brain is wired to do just that instinctively. (This is why we see "expressions" even on inanimate objects like cars, clouds, etc...)

So when a person goes about to tell a story, how he shows it (detailed drawings, photographs, stick figures or anything to that extent), if there's even the smallest hint of emotive expressiveness in the drawn characters then humans will pick it up and it won't really matter how "good" the drawing was.

Drawing style is really something that most humans are only affected by as an initial experience: that is, the style may be a factor in the decision to start reading or go to something else. Once you're in, to your brain it might as well be live action actors. We just need a little bit of suggested expression in an entity to assign it that expression.

Hopefully that helps clear up the confusion. =):smallbiggrin:

Ar-Sakal
2007-10-19, 10:04 AM
Because we all like and empathize with Roy. I loved the Giant started the new thread by showing Roy's afterlife.

thurvok
2007-10-19, 10:14 AM
Cause he is GOOD!!! I never cared much for Miko.. but every time I look at the strip where she lay dieing and only asking if she will get to see Windstriker in the afterlife.. it makes me choke up.. Cause she just comes across as a lonely little girl who only made 1 freind in life and just wants to see him again..

Fawkes
2007-10-19, 10:42 AM
Roy's got more personality than most of the "real people" on this forum. :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2007-10-19, 11:06 AM
Calling the art "stick figures" is like calling a piano solo "just strings being struck".

It's how the art is presented, not what it's made of.

Good writing can save bad art. Although in this case, the art is just the style of the comic. You can hardly call it "bad art", since the characters are being rendered consistently and in proportion.

Vulion
2007-10-19, 11:14 AM
It's simply a testament to Rich's ability as a writer.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-19, 10:30 PM
Am I the only one who felt absolutly no emotion in reading 496?

Icewalker
2007-10-19, 10:41 PM
Real stick figures.

This seems pretty accurate. They are real characters. And Rich is probably in the top few writers I've read the works of.

Koraks
2007-10-19, 10:42 PM

Well I thought it was kinda cute, but didn't shed no tear or water my eyes. I think its a nice developement to Roy's background, though. Probably influenced him to become a responsible leader, always willing to put himself on the front line before his allies.

timbot
2007-10-20, 12:12 AM

Yes (you and Koraks)

The Linker
2007-10-20, 12:34 AM
Well, I didn't shed a tear, or well up, but I did kinda almost well up. I felt a tinge. I mighta cried a bit if I wasn't in the middle of several students in the library at lunchtime :smallsmile:

But, the thing is, I feel that tinge like every time I read the comic. So many elements come together in that last panel. The gleeful, unchanging expression, the solitary tear, the "hi roy! wanna play blocks with me?", and then the "More than anything." I just finish looking at one cute endearing thing, and then I see another, and together it forms the best strip ending in the OOTS run. I think, anyway. This coulda made an awesome 500th strip.

I've always wondered how, out of context, this is like a completely random out-of-left-field revelation with no foreshadowing or hints, and yet it fits so well. I mean, we learn that it exists in the second-to-last panel, and the very next we instantly feel and know how much he means to Roy.

I would not doubt that tomorrow's, 497, will be a simple wordless montage of roy and his brother playing with blocks, like that scene where he was having dinner with Celia.

And, yeah, I know there was that baby in the strip where Xykon broke Roy's sword, and so there kinda WAS foreshadowing, but... meh. I think that WAS going to be Roy's sister until Rich changed their age difference to suit the plot.

Alfryd
2007-10-20, 04:40 AM
I felt mild annoyance. Does that count?

Still, I'm glad folks seem to be enjoying it.

Morty
2007-10-20, 05:52 AM
I felt mild annoyance. Does that count?

Still, I'm glad folks seem to be enjoying it.

:smallconfused: What's so annoying in #496?
That said, it was kind of moving, but not very much. It's still a webcomic after all.

Alfryd
2007-10-20, 06:01 AM
What's so annoying in #496?
I'm vaguely curious as to what the living are doing. If Miko's not getting a word-in, I damn well want to see something plot-relevant.

Morty
2007-10-20, 06:20 AM
I'm vaguely curious as to what the living are doing. If Miko's not getting a word-in, I damn well want to see something plot-relevant.

I see your point, but who knows if it won't become something plot-relevant.
Though in all seriousness, Roy's family reunion is stretched.

Ichneumon
2007-10-20, 06:30 AM
I see your point, but who knows if it won't become something plot-relevant.
Though in all seriousness, Roy's family reunion is stretched.

Maybe that is what it is. Stretching. Maybe Rich wants something to happen at #500

kerberos
2007-10-20, 07:47 AM
I'm in the "it was kind of cute, but meh" category.

Pagz
2007-10-20, 08:22 AM
Yea... I havent felt like this since the last scene of final fantasy 10

Well done to Ritch, is all I have to say :smallsmile:

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-20, 12:44 PM
Well done to Ritch, is all I have to say :smallsmile:

Who's Ritch?

Sgilti
2007-10-20, 01:55 PM
As I'm rather new to OOTS, I was completely unaware of the whole "Third child" discussion. So seeing Roy's little brother hit me completely out of the blue. I can honestly say I got choaked up. Thank you, Rich, and keep up the good work.

Covenantwgw
2007-10-20, 02:41 PM
It was a moving scene to be sure...but it didn't hit me nearly as hard as the end of "Start of Darkness" I seriously almost cried. I can't say why because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Arnen
2007-10-20, 02:43 PM
I was a little bit confused at first, since Roy's comment on not watching the grown-ups had me thinking maybe the brother was older, but once I figured it out I did feel my eyes watering up a bit. I just looked at it again, and it still has the same affect. Gotta respect Rich's writing ability; I've read award-winning novels in which the characterization wasn't this good.

Alysar
2007-10-20, 03:36 PM
Aye... I think for most people the quality of art has little to do with the emotions or storytelling involved. Humans can pick up even the subtlest hint of emotion from objects, much of our brain is wired to do just that instinctively. (This is why we see "expressions" even on inanimate objects like cars, clouds, etc...)

So when a person goes about to tell a story, how he shows it (detailed drawings, photographs, stick figures or anything to that extent), if there's even the smallest hint of emotive expressiveness in the drawn characters then humans will pick it up and it won't really matter how "good" the drawing was.

Drawing style is really something that most humans are only affected by as an initial experience: that is, the style may be a factor in the decision to start reading or go to something else. Once you're in, to your brain it might as well be live action actors. We just need a little bit of suggested expression in an entity to assign it that expression.

Hopefully that helps clear up the confusion. =):smallbiggrin:

WIS: 21

damn the 10 character minimum

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-20, 04:26 PM
It was a moving scene to be sure...but it didn't hit me nearly as hard as the end of "Start of Darkness" I seriously almost cried. I can't say why because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

You can say why, just put in a spoiler block

JoseB
2007-10-20, 05:45 PM
Well, #496 moved me. And it appears that a big majority of readers are moved as well, leaving the unaffected ones in the minority. I do not feel impatient about the pacing of the story as it is right now. Whatever happens happens. Besides, it's Rich's story, and he is telling it in his way.

I am sure that it will have something for everybody at some point, anyway.

Just my 2 eurocent!

geekyhedgehog
2007-10-20, 05:53 PM
As I'm rather new to OOTS, I was completely unaware of the whole "Third child" discussion. So seeing Roy's little brother hit me completely out of the blue. I can honestly say I got choaked up. Thank you, Rich, and keep up the good work.

Its just one of those things you should have expected, but never did.

Hefty Lefty
2007-10-20, 06:09 PM
It's hard to say this, because Rich is such a great writer and all, but I really don't like this plot hook. I'm getting really sick of "Roy in Heaven", because I know he's just going to get ressurected in 4 comics. This little brother thing just seems like something Rich is doing to draw 3 more comics out. I mean, it was a great comic, but it didn't draw me to tears, unlike Comic 417: The Most Important Place To Be (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0417.html)

dragongirl13
2007-10-22, 09:14 PM
You're *sniff* tearing up because it's so *sniff* sad and *sniff* the Giant *sniff* really makes it easy to *sniff* sympathize with *sniff* Roy.

I *sniff* tear up *sniff* too.