PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dwarf Barbarian (Seeking Advice on Both Role-Play and Build wise)

Nosta
2019-11-23, 12:20 PM
I Have an Idea for a Dwarf Barbarian who is on a quest to Find the ingredients To craft the Brew of the Gods.

and so I'd like help crafting him

I know I want to Give him a brewing skill for role-play wise

But I am not sure what else to give him

weapon I am thinking a Maul

I want to have Good Defense Vs magic (Good saves) so I am Thinking of taking the Steel soul Feat and Taking the superstitious Rage power. But I am unsure of other Good Rage powers ands feats.

I am also thinking of giving him profession bartender

RNightstalker
2019-11-23, 03:42 PM
As for weapons I'd lean towards the Urgosh or Dwarven Waraxe.

KatsOfLoathing
2019-11-24, 09:41 PM
The Drunken Brute (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/drunken-brute/) archetype seems like a logical choice to make here.

You've got a solid base for a tank Barbarian with the Dwarf race and Superstition as a starting rage power, so if I may... Invulnerable Rager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/invulnerable-rager/) is a fun archetype for boosting your durability that stacks with Drunken Brute, and you can pump your DR even higher with Dragon Totem Resilience. Superstition opens gateways to fun mage-killer rage powers like Witch Hunter and Spell Sunder, if you want to go down that route. Good For What Ails You is another thematically appropriate choice that also boosts your survivability. Come and Get Me is a solid high-level choice for any Barbarian.

Does your table use Background Skills? If yes, then you have plenty of spare skill points to invest in both Craft and Profession. If not... I'm not sure I can recommend putting ranks into both. As a full martial class you have precious few points to spend on skills, and you'll want the space for actually important ones like Intimidate, Perception, and Survival. It might be worth talking to your GM about Craft and Profession skills and seeing what kind of gameplay benefits you can swing from investing in them, because as a default, you're not getting much.

Nosta
2019-11-25, 09:24 AM
The Drunken Brute (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/drunken-brute/) archetype seems like a logical choice to make here.

You've got a solid base for a tank Barbarian with the Dwarf race and Superstition as a starting rage power, so if I may... Invulnerable Rager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/invulnerable-rager/) is a fun archetype for boosting your durability that stacks with Drunken Brute, and you can pump your DR even higher with Dragon Totem Resilience. Superstition opens gateways to fun mage-killer rage powers like Witch Hunter and Spell Sunder, if you want to go down that route. Good For What Ails You is another thematically appropriate choice that also boosts your survivability. Come and Get Me is a solid high-level choice for any Barbarian.

Does your table use Background Skills? If yes, then you have plenty of spare skill points to invest in both Craft and Profession. If not... I'm not sure I can recommend putting ranks into both. As a full martial class you have precious few points to spend on skills, and you'll want the space for actually important ones like Intimidate, Perception, and Survival. It might be worth talking to your GM about Craft and Profession skills and seeing what kind of gameplay benefits you can swing from investing in them, because as a default, you're not getting much.

I see besides steel soul as my first level Feat what would be good for my 3 & 5 level feats

Psyren
2019-11-25, 10:41 AM
Every Str-based melee should grab Power Attack early.

Have you read a Barbarian handbook? Handbooks are designed to be a first stop for these sorts of "what feats and powers are good?" questions. here's a decent one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233032-PF-Anger-Management-A-Pathfinder-Guide-to-the-Barbarian)

Once you've picked a set that you like, we can help you decide between a smaller number of good (or two okay) ones, which is going to be a lot easier than planning your whole build out for you :smalltongue:

Nosta
2019-11-25, 05:17 PM
Every Str-based melee should grab Power Attack early.

Have you read a Barbarian handbook? Handbooks are designed to be a first stop for these sorts of "what feats and powers are good?" questions. here's a decent one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233032-PF-Anger-Management-A-Pathfinder-Guide-to-the-Barbarian)

Once you've picked a set that you like, we can help you decide between a smaller number of good (or two okay) ones, which is going to be a lot easier than planning your whole build out for you :smalltongue:

Ok I Looked at the feats in the Handbook you linked me too
I am still unsure of my 5th & 7th level feat.

My Build so far looks like this

Name -???
Race - Dwarf
Class - Barbarian (Drunken Brute / Invulnerable Rager) x5

STR: DEX: CON:
INT: WIS: CHA:

Character - Traits
(1)
(2)

Feats
(1) STEEL - SOUL (I just really like this feat)
(3) Power Attack. (A Must of martials Right)??
(5) Maybe extra rage power
(7)

Rage powers
(2) Superstition
(4) Witch hunter
(5) if rage power at level 5 take good for what ails you
(6) Spell sunder

I Kinda want a mage killer theme in my combat abilities but was wondering if a Intimidate sub theme would be a good idea?

Arkain
2019-11-25, 05:57 PM
Generally speaking, Beast Totem can eventually net you pounce, but it takes 3 rage powers to get there, so investing feats there isn't the worst idea. Come and Get Me is also very strong, but to make proper use of it you'd need Combat Reflexes and decent dexterity. Raging Vitality and, subsequently, Raging Brutality are also never bad ideas. And that's probably already all the feats and powers for a good chunk of your career.

Nosta
2019-11-25, 06:43 PM
Generally speaking, Beast Totem can eventually net you pounce, but it takes 3 rage powers to get there, so investing feats there isn't the worst idea. Come and Get Me is also very strong, but to make proper use of it you'd need Combat Reflexes and decent dexterity. Raging Vitality and, subsequently, Raging Brutality are also never bad ideas. And that's probably already all the feats and powers for a good chunk of your career.

well I might try to get 14 Dex
Come and get me sounds fun but rarely dose the game my group dose get pass level 9 or 10
I'll have to take a look at raging brutality and ranger brutaility