PDA

View Full Version : Mage Slaying Outsider build

The Mormegil
2007-10-19, 09:11 AM
Ok, this is a problematic build: optimization required. As long as you don’t go out the subsequent guidelines you may cheese as much as you like, I will take only what I think isn’t incredibly broken.

I need a mage killer. I must have the Outsider type (cannot have the native subtype) and I need to have racial HD + LA equal or higher than 6. I start at ECL 14. I can take racial HD even if the race hasn’t got any. I can use pretty much anything with DM’s approval, he said no to Aasimars (natives) and Divine Minion (pantheon reansons)

What I came up with is:
Half-elemental [air] kernel, Outsider 2 Ranger 1 [Lion Totem] Barbarian 1 Psychic Warrior 2 Fighter 2 [Tiger Assault] Monk 2  Swordsage 1 / Occult Slayer 5

SPECIAL:
RACIAL TRAITS:
- SR 10 + DV
- Spell Healing
- +2 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +4 Cha
- DR 5/magic
- Magic Draining Attacks
- Spellcasting Inability
- natural armor +1
- Spell-like abilities:
o obscuring mist
o windwall
o gaseous form
o walk in the air
o control winds
- Immune to desease, cold, poison
CLASS FEATURES:
- Chosen Enemy (spellcasters)
- Speak with animals or plants 3/day
- Pounce
- Rage 1/day
- AC bonus
- flurry of blows
- spell reflection

--------------------
- Magic Defense
- Weapon Link
- Mind over Magic
- Depravity Strike
- Anti-detection mantle
- Thoughtless
FEATS:
1 – Outsider Wings
H – Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain)
1f – Mage Slayer [Murky Eyed]
1f – Blind Fight [Shaky]
3 – Nemesis
R – Track
P – Hold the Line
P – Psychic Weapon
6 – Psychic Meditation
F – Penetrate Magic Protection
F – Penetrate Magic Concealment
9 – Deep Impact
M – Improved Unarmed Strike
M – Power Attack
M – Combat Reflexes
--------------
S – Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand)
12 – Chosen Power Attack
15 – Improved Trip
18 – Knock Down

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-10-19, 10:46 AM
The occult slayer is rediculously stupid a class. Replace it with 4 levels in Hexblade, remove Ranger (he's useless) and add 2 levels in blackguard. Now you get TWICE your charisma modifier to your saving throws versus magic and if the spell has a will or fortitude save for partial or half effect, you get no effect due to mettle. Get evasion from somewhere else and you're good to go.

A competent mage of your level relying in spells like Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement, Maximised Orb of Acid, Splitray Ray of Stupidity and Overland flight will probably claim a flawless victory still but noone will say you didn't try. Besides, most mages are nowhere near as competent as they think they are.

mabriss lethe
2007-10-19, 05:01 PM
There are some other options that could be worked in somehow. I personally dislike excessive multiclassing.

I played a hexblade/suel arcanamach once that was a heck of a lot of fun.

Spellthief is also tons of fun and literally made for sticking it to mages.

The Mormegil
2007-10-23, 02:39 PM
I'd prefer avoiding Blackguard and things. I need Ranger to get Nemesis (pinpoint every mage in the nearby area, then hit them with Penetrate Magic Conceal). I took Monk to gain touch AC and three feats and spell turning (replacing evasion with the ring). My DM lets me take a Ring of Mettle too. I need good archetypes in order to cover the first six levels, I tried on the thread about them but noone answered. I need good saves, good touch AC, flying, dimension door like abilities and I was thinking of Hide in Plain Sight (nobody has Prevision before ECL 17...). Then I will go and kill mages. I was thinking about improving the psionic part of it, taking Slayer to the end, or maybe Zuoken Fist. I don't know...:smalleek:

elliott20
2007-10-23, 02:48 PM
I think you're better off creating a character that is just effective first, and then massaging the fluff to match.

Person_Man
2007-10-23, 03:11 PM
Your best bet for Outsider type is Neraph (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2) from the Planar Handbook. No racial hit die or LA. And the get darkvision, +2 natural armor, and Neraph Charge for free, making them a great race anyway.

I would suggest a psionic build. Use Touchsight (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersQtoW.html#touchsight) if you're worried about invisibility, darkness, and concealment. Also, I'd add that you really don't need any of the Mage Slayer feats if your damage output is high enough to kill any single target with one attack (or one full attack, if you have pounce). However, if your DM is fond of uber-casters with a ton of hit points and special protections, then the Mage Slayer feats are certainly worth it.

Temp
2007-10-23, 06:47 PM
I would suggest a psionic build.
Seconded.

[Illithid] Slayer is generally a good bet. Its anti-psion abilities work just as well against other spellcasters in most campaigns and apparently it makes your character's brain taste bad... which is a good thing, I guess...

The Mormegil
2007-10-24, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't know where to start with a psionic build (WotC forum link? Yes, please) but I thought of it. Also, Neraph is a good thing really, but I'd prefer an archetype (does Planetouched give Outsider type? By the sound of it...) for the human feat (having problems already, since I HAVE TO take +6 LA archetypes). I wouldn't leave Mage Slayer tree for anything, since the DM is the kind that actually ENJOYS PC deaths. So he will be placing CR 20+ things at least, and probably no casters (he cannot use them well. He use them only if he can work out a melee combo that needs some spellcasting but doesn't need anything else...), but I want to make a Mage Slayer nontheless, with all I can get to kill casters. So, can anybody give me a build? Or where I can find it?

Person_Man
2007-10-24, 03:36 PM
Why do you need to have racial HD + LA equal or higher than 6?

If its a restriction placed on you by the DM, I would suggest stacking templates that don't change your type. They're a much better buy then anything involving racial hit dice.

Most of the psionics rules can be read for free on the SRD. Psychic Warriors are very straitforward and really have less paperwork then most spellcasters.

As for a solid Mage Slayer build, you only need a few elements.

1) High damage output.
2) High SR and/or high Saves with Evasion and Mettle
3) High hit points.
4) A way to defeat common spell buffs, such as Fly, Greater Invisibility, etc.
5) A Ring of Freedom of Movement, to defeat battlefield control spells

What books do you have access to?

Grynning
2007-10-24, 09:05 PM
Also, why do you have to be an Outsider, especially one without the Native subtype? Seems like being vulnerable to Dismissal would be a bad thing if you were hunting casters.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-24, 09:14 PM
Might add this: Witch slayer seems to be a fine PrC for dealin' with mages. I might be wrong, but his abilities sound useful.

Collin152
2007-10-24, 11:11 PM
Also, why do you have to be an Outsider, especially one without the Native subtype? Seems like being vulnerable to Dismissal would be a bad thing if you were hunting casters.

If they knew you were coming, or a sorcerer who fights many outsiders (and how many would take it at all? You don't get many spells)

Fishy
2007-10-24, 11:51 PM
For style points, try and pick up Evasion twice: Once to avoid area spells, and once to take Spell Reflection from Complete Mage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a). Add in a blur/concealment effect, and you can start swatting those rays of stupidity right back at the mage.

Aquillion
2007-10-25, 12:33 AM
Might I suggest trying to work swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) in? You get some casting ability of your own, the ability to take large numbers of extra actions (especially when hasted), your casting stat to initiative, and (when hasted) a total 50% chance that any spell that targets you will just fail. All of those things help a lot against wizards.

Person_Man
2007-10-25, 09:52 AM
Might I suggest trying to work swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) in? You get some casting ability of your own, the ability to take large numbers of extra actions (especially when hasted), your casting stat to initiative, and (when hasted) a total 50% chance that any spell that targets you will just fail. All of those things help a lot against wizards.

Swiftblade is a great PrC.

However, I would caution that once you start using "action advantage" builds (anything involving Time Stop, Celerity, White Raven Tactics, Cunning Surge, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Quickened anything, Hustle abuse, etc), then DMs almost always retaliate with similar builds.

So instead of semi-balanced combat that might actually last 2-4 rounds, you end up with nuclear war combat - whoever wins Initiative wins the encounter. From personal experience, I can tell you that it's not particularly fun.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-25, 10:13 AM
Not sure about builds or whatever, but an outsider race I really like is the Xill.

Xill (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersTtoZ.html#xill)

Not super optimal, but their Planewalk ability combined with SR and Paralysis is nice. Four arms and a bite for weapons, and decent stats. (S +4, D +6, C +4, I +2, W +2 C+0) the LA/HD is pricey at +4 LA and 5 racial HD... but Outsider is pretty much the best monster HD to get stuck with. (with the possible exception of Dragon)