PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Eberron country names?

Tanarii
2019-11-23, 06:38 PM
Valenar
Vale-nar or Valeh-nar or Valah-nar or Valih-nar

(Note: Turns out where I live in practice the second option doesn't exist, the 'eh' quick vowel always gets turned into an short 'ah' or 'ih'. We discovered this a part of the discussion after someone spelled it out and we all pointed out that's not how he was saying it, and turned out that was true for all of us trying to say Valeh-nar. We chalked it up to a regional accent thing. But Vale-nar was the popular option at my LFGS when we had this discussion.)

Breland
Breh-land or Bray-land or Bree-land

(Same reason as above, but any 'eh' gets distorted even more. Bray-land was our most common.)

Cyre
Sih-ree or See-er or Kih-ree or Kee-er

(See-er was our most common.)

When I checked online and Baker's position is there is no official pronunciation.

Anderlith
2019-11-23, 07:49 PM
Val-in-are
Brayh-land (Br-A-land)
I used to pronounce Cyre like Pyre, but apparently the soft Word of Keith has it sounding like “Sear a steak”

Tanarii
2019-11-23, 08:12 PM
Brayh-land (Br-A-land)

The online source I found, Keith pronounces it something like Breh-land or Breh-lund

Anderlith
2019-11-23, 08:38 PM
The online source I found, Keith pronounces it something like Breh-land or Breh-lund

Sounds about how I say it. the “land” part (to me) should sound very clipped. Like how you say the state of Maryland or Ireland, while the “Brayh” part should be kind of... windy? That sort of “huh” sound that comes of of Gaelic vowels

Tanarii
2019-11-24, 01:26 AM
Sounds about how I say it. the “land” part (to me) should sound very clipped. Like how you say the state of Maryland or Ireland, while the “Brayh” part should be kind of... windy? That sort of “huh” sound that comes of of Gaelic vowelsyeah. I definitely do it justice writing it as -land. And -Lund isn't quite right either. It's me like -lnd, almost vowel-less, but -Lund is closer than -land. A very clipped sound.

So we were going Bray-lund (mostly) or Bree-lund (couple of guys). But definitely not breh-lund.

I used to pronounce Cyre like Pyre, but apparently the soft Word of Keith has it sounding like “Sear a steak”
Source I found had Keith pronouncing it Sih-ree.

Anderlith
2019-11-24, 02:25 AM
Source I found had Keith pronouncing it Sih-ree.

You’re right. I was trusting an year old memory of an anecdote.

Garresh
2019-11-24, 04:51 AM
I pronounce them badly.

Zhorn
2019-11-24, 06:03 AM
Northington
West-vale
East-haven
Southland
Here
There

:smalltongue: