PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I want to make a crit fisher for fun

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-24, 02:41 AM
Hello guys :)

I want to make a crit fisher build in order to have some fun time.

My ideas are:
Dexadin of heroism elf(maybe half drow for the spells).

Zealot barbarian half orc with a champion dip.

A dex elf champion

A half orc champion

I already did a hexsorcadin of vengeance with EA so this one is out.

Keravath
2019-11-24, 11:26 AM
Two requirements for a good crit fisher build ..
1) enhanced critical range - best achieved with champion fighter since that way it is always on (hexblades curse also works 1/short rest)
2) a good way to regularly get advantage .. without getting advantage regularly it doesn’t work that well
3) bonus points for EA to further increase chance of critting but this doesn’t work well with barbarian

Options
Barabarian X/ champion fighter Y - strength build - advantage from reckless attack

Champion X/warlock 3 - use darkness+devils sight for advantage, elf or half elf for EA, could go fey warlock for faerie fire as another option for advantage

I find that unless a character has a built in way to get advantage most rounds, it doesn’t really happen.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-24, 11:31 AM
Shadowblade plus Thaumaturgy is a great way to get yourself reliable advantage outside of direct sunlight. And the extra dice of damage are nice when you do crit.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-24, 11:54 AM
Two requirements for a good crit fisher build ..
1) enhanced critical range - best achieved with champion fighter since that way it is always on (hexblades curse also works 1/short rest)
2) a good way to regularly get advantage .. without getting advantage regularly it doesn’t work that well
3) bonus points for EA to further increase chance of critting but this doesn’t work well with barbarian

4. Features that can be used to capitalize on the crit: Savage crit, smites, etc. If all you get out of the crit is an extra 1d8, all the effort you've put into your build is largely wasted.

This is one of the core reasons why the champion is so weak: he's giving himself a slightly higher chance at getting one extra weapon die on an attack, while other fighters can just add extra dice to their attacks when they feel like it. Without a built in way to capitalize on that crit, the amount of damage it's adding to any given attack roll is 5% of your weapon die: terrible.