PDA

View Full Version : Escaping Multiple Grapples

Yakmala
2019-11-24, 04:28 AM
I ran into a situation this weekend where my character was facing off against a Druid that summoned multiple Constrictor Snakes. They swarmed my character and managed to land multiple grapples.

In situations such as this, what is the correct game mechanics for escaping?

1: Use your Action and make a separate Athletics/Acrobatics check against each grapple. You must succeed on all the escape attempts to no longer be grappled.

2: Use your Action to make an Athletics/Acrobatics check to escape a single grapple.

If #2 is correct, then this becomes a very powerful tactic, as the defeated grappler can attempt to re-grapple while the target attempts to escape the additional grapples on subsequent turns, potentially leading to an inescapable loop.

Zhorn
2019-11-24, 04:36 AM
Escaping a Grapple. A grappled creature can use its action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check.

I'm pretty sure each grapple escape will take their own action to resolve, so yes; dog-piling is a strong tactic to restrain a creature, just like in real life.

In such situations, you're best tactic is to just go full anime and thunderwave your way out.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/f09c13719071139a372ea295675b4844/tumblr_inline_orvoocWGU01t09k6m_540.gif

Pufferwockey
2019-11-24, 08:30 AM
I was DMing my ruling would probably depend on the exact situation but I'd probably go with option one, or maybe have you go roll once and give each constrictor its it's own chance to beat you check, just because it looks like the option wich, while still being a hard check, doesn't look quite as guaranteed to result in a prarticularly un fun death.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 08:41 AM
The easiest way would be just to break concentration on the druid. Grappling by itself isnt That detrimental.

Question:did the DM use the snakes constrict action or just a grapple attempt?

Bonus: just have somebody else shove you.

Yakmala
2019-11-24, 01:01 PM
Question:did the DM use the snakes constrict action or just a grapple attempt?

It was via the snakes constrict action, which makes it worse in many ways. Lets say the target has a high Athletics or Acrobatics check but a low AC, like a raging/reckless barbarian or a rogue with expertise in Acrobatics but studded leather armor. Were the creatures attempting contested Athletics or Acrobatics checks, they would have little to no chance to successfully grapple the target in the first place, but since they are attempting to hit an AC and, on success, not only automatically getting the grapple but imposing the Restricted condition as well [which a normal grapple does not], the situation is a lot more problematic for the victim.

And if they don't have a way to break the Druid's concentration, have a friend for a shove action (great idea btw) or some method to quickly kill all the snakes, they are in for a long night.

In the scenario we ran into over the weekend, the enemy druid cast Conjure Animals using a 7th level slot. That's 24 CR 1/4 Constrictor Snakes. The Druid was able to land multiple constricts on multiple party members.

Ganryu
2019-11-24, 01:07 PM
Can't you only be under a single status or effect once? Can't be under multiple Paladin's aura of protection for instance.

I'd assuem same applies to grapples. You ARE grappled, just the last creature to do so has the grapple to break.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 01:13 PM
It was via the snakes constrict action, which makes it worse in many ways. Lets say the target has a high Athletics or Acrobatics check but a low AC, like a raging/reckless barbarian or a rogue with expertise in Acrobatics but studded leather armor. Were the creatures attempting contested Athletics or Acrobatics checks, they would have little to no chance to successfully grapple the target in the first place, but since they are attempting to hit an AC and, on success, not only automatically getting the grapple but imposing the Restricted condition as well [which a normal grapple does not], the situation is a lot more problematic for the victim.

And if they don't have a way to break the Druid's concentration, have a friend for a shove action (great idea btw) or some method to quickly kill all the snakes, they are in for a long night.

In the scenario we ran into over the weekend, the enemy druid cast Conjure Animals using a 7th level slot. That's 24 CR 1/4 Constrictor Snakes. The Druid was able to land multiple constricts on multiple party members.

Solid strategy on the druids behalf If he/she was put numbered and wasn't as mobile.

Definitely time for a big force movement AoE or getting as many concentration checks as possible on the druid.

Guessing you are pretty high level and the snakes themselves are pretty easy to hit and have low HP.
Excellent of the DM to make a scenario that feels way more deadly than it actually is.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-24, 01:14 PM
I don't think the status would stack but the danger could come from the additional snakes readying subsequent grapple attempts on the condition of the target breaking out.

In the situation teleportation, thunderwave, damaging auras etc. would be the way to go (Cloak of Flies for a Warlock would shine here as well as spells like Flame Shield).

Tanarii
2019-11-24, 01:20 PM
Constrictor Snakes are Large creatures, so each one takes up a 10x10 space. That limits how many can attack a single target. Or even move around a battlefield freely. 24 of them are going to form a nice defensive wall though.

The way I read the grappling section, escaping a grapple takes a single action on the part of the grappled creature, which then would cause a contested check vs each creature grappling it. YMMV.

Zhorn
2019-11-24, 01:37 PM
The way I read the grappling section, escaping a grapple takes a single action on the part of the grappled creature, which then would cause a contested check vs each creature grappling it. YMMV.

For what it's worth, Crawford leans this way also

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/850796806573146112
As DM, I allow a grappled creature to make one escape attempt against multiple grapplers, but it must overcome each DC to free itself.
So your one roll vs all grapplers. You might tear away from the grip of one, while still being in the clutches of another.

Personal stance: I'd houserule it to be a grapple escape consumes an attack rather than a whole action, in the same way applying a grapple generally takes a single attack, but I'd also go with one grapple escape attempt at a time.

No brains
2019-11-24, 01:56 PM
Here's an idea for a houserule that focuses on expediency of the rules: Multiple creatures grappling a creature gives advantage to the grappler with the highest modifier and/ or disadvantage on an escape check. This makes multi-grapples work like the help action just to move things along. Less realistic? Maybe. Being way faster when grappling has had a history of bogging down RPGs? Absolutely.

Without this rule, 8 creatures can grapple a PC while 8 more on the outside use help to give the grapplers advantage. 17 grapplers with 17 helpers if you want to go 3d. It's a good way to keep someone in one spot, but it puts a lot of dice into a single event.

Tanarii
2019-11-24, 02:15 PM
For what it's worth, Crawford leans this way also

So your one roll vs all grapplers. You might tear away from the grip of one, while still being in the clutches of another.

I was thinking seperate rolls by the escapee vs each grappler, just one action used.