PDA

View Full Version : Concentrating on a spell

Yogibear41
2019-11-24, 04:48 AM
Is there anyway to make concentrating on a spell not a standard action? Looking at a 3rd party feat that gives me at will-flight at my land speed (average maneuverability), but it requires concentration as if it were a 3rd level spell (so a standard action) looking for ways to be able to concentrate on it and still be to do other stuff, as it stands I would have to concentrate (standard), then move because I have to because the maneuverability is only average.

Willed Flight feat from Anger of Angels for those that are familiar.

Allanimal
2019-11-24, 05:21 AM
A 10th Level Spirit Shaman gets the ability (guide magic) to maintain concentration while taking other actions.

There are probably others.

Gauntlet
2019-11-24, 05:34 AM
The usual solutions to this problem are the Sonorous Hum spell, or the Swift Concentration skill trick.

Crake
2019-11-24, 05:37 AM
psions can pass over concentration to their psicrystals with the solicit psicrystal power, and I believe there's a skill trick that allows you concentrate as a swift action for 1 round, and I believe a feat that does the same for move actions, but requires a concentration check to do that successfully.

Fake Edit: Extraordinary concentration from complete adventuruer lets you concentrate as a move action with a DC25+spell level concentration check, and if you beat the DC by 10 or more, you can concentrate as a swift action insstead, if you fail though, the spell is lost. The feat's description text says it allows you to cast other spells while concentrating, but that language isn't included in the benefit section, so that's up to your DM I guess. There's precedent where rules are included in the descriptive text, so I'd say it leans in your favour there. Does require a pretty whopping 15 ranks of concentration, so not an option until mid to late levels.

The skill trick is called swift concentration (from complete scoundrel naturally), requires 12 ranks, and simply allows you to maintain concentration on a spell as a swift action, it's unclear if this applies to the entire duration of the spell, or simply for a single round ("maintain concentration" is a specific action you take, so I'd imagine it's only for a single round worth of concentrating), but as a skill trick, it's only usable 1/encounter or 1/minute outside of combat.