PDA

View Full Version : What Pokemon In DND system is best and why?

MatrixStone93
2019-11-24, 10:04 AM
There are a lot of Pokemon In DND systems out there, but which one is best and why? Which one allows for the most creativity and customization in character builds, which one has the most versatility, which one has systems in place for high level characters to catch Legendaries?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-11-24, 02:25 PM
I think Pokemon Tabletop United is the system I hear about most often?

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-11-24, 04:02 PM
It's certainly the best one my group has tried, and while active development has ended the devs are planning to release a Gen 8 update around the end of the year

Mr.Sandman
2019-11-24, 07:28 PM
There is also a good Mutants and Masterminds system that was invented on the Atomic Think Tank forums a number of years ago that worked very well in a number of games.
Most updated Character creation rules that I can find in the top post of the link.
https://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=219865

Grod_The_Giant
2019-11-24, 08:06 PM
I could also write a quick hack for STaRS (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268061/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System), if you'd like something light. One of the sample magic systems is halfway to Pokemon as it is.

DataNinja
2019-11-24, 08:54 PM
I think Pokemon Tabletop United is the system I hear about most often?

It's certainly the best one my group has tried, and while active development has ended the devs are planning to release a Gen 8 update around the end of the year

Indeed, I find it to be a very versatile system (as long as you aren't trying to do Pokémon Mystery Dungeon stuff). While I may be biased (I'm the person that got brought on to do the Gen 8 update and continue keeping things playable in that regards), I've found it to allow for a great variety of different campaigns over the years.

Admittedly, the system... does have it's flaws, and things that aren't always readily apparent on the GM side, but there's a Discord full of people willing to help, which has also compiled a great many things that the community has learned to help make the game better in the five years since the most current edition's released.

For builds, because of the mix 'n match "feat tree" class system, you get a lot of customizability and versatility out of it. It's the thing that I like most about the system.

I've personally ran and seen run several different campaign styles, from pirates, to explorers, to your regular gym crawl, to more along the lines of Shadowrun-inspired... the system ends up being very fluff-agnostic, and with the supplements, there's a great variety of inspiration and stuff you can do. There's even one supplement specifically designed to make Legendaries extremely powerful, more akin to gods - but, by standard they are essentially just ordinary strong 'Mon, and are very catchable so long as the GM lets them show up.

(In theory, even low-level characters can have legendaries, if the GM allows for it. I remember one campaign story regarding everyone having a baby Legendary Bird.)

MatrixStone93
2019-11-26, 10:52 PM
{scrubbed}