PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorlock, repelling blast and spells

Corran
2019-11-24, 10:10 AM
Let's say we are looking at a sorlock build (warlock 2/ sorcerer X). Let's also say that we are picking repelling blast as one of our invocations and quickened spell as one of our metamagic options. The intent here is to put down a spell that creates a harmful effect in its area, and then try to fling enemies inside that area with repelling EB's. Quicken is there to help us be more successful at that while also directly increasing our damage. So, what spells would you consider for this?

Here is a list of the spells (with some brief descriptions) I could think of. If there is anything I missed, feel free to point it out and I'll add it to the list. I intentionally excluded spells that affect enemies only if they end their turn inside the area after casting them (as opposed to affecting enemies at the start of their turns or when they first enter the area during a turn; the latter being what this build is trying to achieve through repelling blasts).

Web (lvl 2) : 20' cube, DEX save, restrains

Stinking Cloud (lvl 3) : 20' radius, CON save, enemy loses turn

Wall of Fire (lvl 4) : 10' radius or 60' line, DEX save when cast, no save on subsequent turns, 5d8 damage

Sickening Radiance (lvl 4) : 30' radius, CON save, 4d10 damage

Cloudkill (lvl 5) : 20' radius, CON save, 5d8 damage (downside: the cloud moves 10' away from us every turn, which can make it difficult to keep forcing enemies inside as the cloud gets further and further away)

Insect Plague (lvl 5) : 20' radius, CON save, 4d10 damage

Reverse Gravity (lvl 7) : 50' radius, no save (unless there is sth to hold onto, in which case it's DEX on the first turn), suspends up in the air (may cause some damage)

Incendiary Cloud (lvl 8) : 20' radius, DEX save, 10d8 damage (downside: same as with cloudkill)

Anything I missed? Anything really worth getting from the cleric's list to consider ds? Which spells do you think would be the best to combine with repelling EB's?

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 10:24 AM
An alternative to the knock back style sorlock you can go for lockdown.
Lance of Lethargy EB + Ray of frost is taken 20 feet of movement from a creature.
Now when you use repelling blast they can't get out of your area control/damage/time out box.

Someone in the middle of HoH can't get out even by dashing.

Arcturus
2019-11-24, 10:32 AM
For non-slotted fun as a Hexblade Sorlock you can always booming blade, then quickened repelling blast them to a position where they must move to be useful (even better if you can combine with a harmful AOE cast on a previous turn or by another PC.)

Corran
2019-11-24, 11:08 AM
An alternative to the knock back style sorlock you can go for lockdown.
Lance of Lethargy EB + Ray of frost is taken 20 feet of movement from a creature.
Now when you use repelling blast they can't get out of your area control/damage/time out box.

Someone in the middle of HoH can't get out even by dashing.
This would work nicely when I really need to focus on one target. Which doesn't play all that great with using ongoing AoE's (as it would be kind of a waste). It would work though greatly for kiting one enemy, or for delaying said enemy entering the battle.

For non-slotted fun as a Hexblade Sorlock you can always booming blade, then quickened repelling blast them to a position where they must move to be useful (even better if you can combine with a harmful AOE cast on a previous turn or by another PC.)
Probably a bit too costly until tier 4. Thinking that just moving away and potentially relying on spending a 1st level slot and our reaction on the shield spell would be better than spending the 2 sp in this case.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 11:12 AM
The best part of reducing speed vs knock back is that your GWM barbarian isn't getting annoyed you keep moving his punching bag away.

Corran
2019-11-25, 10:27 AM
The best part of reducing speed vs knock back is that your GWM barbarian isn't getting annoyed you keep moving his punching bag away.
Yes, the knock back can be annoying like that sometimes.

=======================
A shame that prismatic wall is not in the sorcerer's or warlock's list. That would be a good spell to combine with repelling blast.

Also, bump.

Degwerks
2019-11-25, 12:38 PM
There's always Create Bonfire, flasks of oil, caltrops and ball bearings.

da newt
2019-11-25, 02:18 PM
Can you count on other party members to play along? There are more options if you have access to other class spells.

Addaran
2019-11-25, 11:03 PM
Hunger of Hadar is pretty terrifying lore-wise and probably good mechanicaly if you continously fling them in. Added bonus of blocking line of sight and the classic devil's sight combo if you have it.

If you have a druid friend, Spike Growth is pretty amazing.

Corran
2019-11-26, 04:20 AM
There's always Create Bonfire, flasks of oil, caltrops and ball bearings.
True, completely forgot about those.

Can you count on other party members to play along? There are more options if you have access to other class spells.
Sure, why not?

Hunger of Hadar is pretty terrifying lore-wise and probably good mechanicaly if you continously fling them in. Added bonus of blocking line of sight and the classic devil's sight combo if you have it.

If you have a druid friend, Spike Growth is pretty amazing.
Difficult terrain is not enticing me that much, at least compared to harder control or to direct damage, but it can sure have its uses.

============
To everyone: I am less interested in writing down a list of what can be useful, and more interested in hearing which spells each of you would pick (even for hypothetical allies if you don't want to restrict yourselves to the self sufficiency of one build), and ideally why you would prefer them to other similar spells.

Addaran
2019-11-26, 02:02 PM
Difficult terrain is not enticing me that much, at least compared to harder control or to direct damage, but it can sure have its uses.

Spike Growth is more for the damage then difficult terrain, though they might stay stuck there if they don't want damage. 2d4 per 5fts moved.

Fire wall seems the best, no saves after the first turn. Sickening radiance close second, with good damage and exhaustion (though most big boss will have good con)

KyleG
2019-11-28, 03:44 PM
What about quicken cloud of daggers on a target, hold your action with EB and send him back into the cloud when he comes out, so that he starts his next turn also in the cloud.

Garresh
2019-11-29, 04:38 AM
2 options:
First, get a Druid to drop Spike Growth. Yes it requires party cooperation. But it's also fun.

Second, allow me to present the "Geyser" build with caveats. RAW it's sketchy. Nothing expressly prohibits it, but it also skirts the edge of RAI. Still, it's hilarious so it's up to DM interpretation.

Essentially you run Fighter 2/Warlock 2/Sorcerer X. You play as a Halfling.

Squat Nimbleness allows you to move through the space of creatures larger than you. Repelling Blast let's you push a creature 10 feet per ray of Eldritch Blast. With Fighter you can action surge to cast twice. Then you quicken for a third eldritch blast.

You run into the same space as a hostile creature. Technically you can only move through it, but you can break up movement and actions so you're not stopping there before end of turn. You are now underneath that creature. Fire off 3 consecutive eldritch blasts straight up(you'll want xbow Expert most likely). At level 7 you push the enemy 60 feet straight up. At which point it falls and takes extra damage from falling. Eventually you can reach 120 feet of push. If you add the invocation to slow them, they have to spend half their movement getting up from prone on top of being slowed.

This is a silly build, but I like to imagine roleplaying a halfling that viciously hates people taller than them. You could also be a fire and brimstone preacher type attempting to punish fornicators, though tbh I wouldn't feel comfortable roleplaying that, and I doubt most players or groups would.

Lunali
2019-11-29, 06:42 AM

Mind the disadvantage on ranged attacks in melee.

Corran
2019-11-29, 02:42 PM
Spike Growth is more for the damage then difficult terrain, though they might stay stuck there if they don't want damage. 2d4 per 5fts moved.

Fire wall seems the best, no saves after the first turn. Sickening radiance close second, with good damage and exhaustion (though most big boss will have good con)
Yeah, I am thinking along the same lines. While not discounting web and reverse gravity completely for when I'd want some control. Unfortunately, I can see many situations where these things wont work, despite the 'no size limitation' on the repelling blast's push. Still, probably one of the best tricks a sorlock can pull off some, or at least it will be some of the time.

What about quicken cloud of daggers on a target, hold your action with EB and send him back into the cloud when he comes out, so that he starts his next turn also in the cloud.
Yeah, that could work well. Only downside will be when I am already concentrating on sth I don't want to drop. Cause readying the EB uses concentration. But yeah, repelling EB can be great with some teamwork.

snip
Hahahahaha! This is hilarious!