PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Artificer Battlesmith multiclass ideas...

RingoBongo
2019-11-24, 10:42 AM
Not sure if there is one of these out there already...

I keep looking at Battlesmith and thinking that it could make several really cool multiclass weapon attack users /gishes.

The first one that stands out to me is a rogue. But even then with all the infusion options and different rogue subclasses there are so many ways to take this...

So, I'd like to start this thread as a place to post effective thematic and/or optimized battlesmith multiclass builds.

...ready, set,

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 10:57 AM
Well a battle Smith 5/ arcane trickster 14 or 15 with a one lv dip in fighter if wanting archery is a solid build.
Be a small race and ride your auto dodging steed around.

Using the repeating shot infusion and a hand xbow you can pump out solid damage with good defense.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-24, 11:02 AM
The most obvious is probably the Bladesinger wizard, as a way to give you int for your attacks, extremely SAD, with Int covering your AC, your attacks, and your spellcasting all at the same time.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-24, 11:24 AM
As mentioned Bladesinger is a solid option as is War Wizard, a Fighter dip would be great for the fighting style, Action Surge and your subclass of choice.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 11:27 AM
The more I read the class the more difficult it is to see any clean jump off points.
Like dork forge said a fighter style is a good investment if the game is staying in lower levels but if there is a chance of hitting 20 that capstone is in the same category as Barbarians, druids, and paladins.

Anderlith
2019-11-24, 11:50 AM
It’s not out yet but Mystic would be a cool one.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-24, 11:56 AM
The more I read the class the more difficult it is to see any clean jump off points.
Like dork forge said a fighter style is a good investment if the game is staying in lower levels but if there is a chance of hitting 20 that capstone is in the same category as Barbarians, druids, and paladins.

The clear jump off used to be after 6th level, but they've done a fantastic job of fixing that issue. I think the jump off point now is more build specific than general advice, if you're an BS then jumping out earlier will be easier than an Artillerist as the turrets damage is tied to higher levels whereas you can get away with jumping out earlier with the defender.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 12:06 PM
The clear jump off used to be after 6th level, but they've done a fantastic job of fixing that issue. I think the jump off point now is more build specific than general advice, if you're an BS then jumping out earlier will be easier than an Artillerist as the turrets damage is tied to higher levels whereas you can get away with jumping out earlier with the defender.
Yes they did a good job with the as a stand alone class. The only strange multiclass i see wanting to play is a alchemist 5 / wizard evocation X.
Spell recovery(EE recovery) and more spells that can work with alchemist savant on top of potent cantrip and later empowered evocation is solid.
Nothing to write home about other than good guaranteed damage every cast.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-24, 12:39 PM
Yes they did a good job with the as a stand alone class. The only strange multiclass i see wanting to play is a alchemist 5 / wizard evocation X.
Spell recovery(EE recovery) and more spells that can work with alchemist savant on top of potent cantrip and later empowered evocation is solid.
Nothing to write home about other than good guaranteed damage every cast.

There's always necromancy and providing your thralls with infused items, theming them as animated by tubes of luminous goo would be pretty fun.

8wGremlin
2019-11-24, 12:40 PM
The most obvious is probably the Bladesinger wizard, as a way to give you int for your attacks, extremely SAD, with Int covering your AC, your attacks, and your spellcasting all at the same time.

Why bother with the bladesinger when you have medium armour and a shield?

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 12:55 PM
There's always necromancy and providing your thralls with infused items, theming them as animated by tubes of luminous goo would be pretty fun.

I'm working on a Homebrewed necro artificer subclass now. Focus on necrotic, lighting, and thunder damage.
A skeleton with radiant sword, +2 armor, gauntlets of ogre strength, and cloak of protection is funny to me.

Could make one ranged and one Frontline once you get 4+ infusions active.

I just realized the radiant weapon reaction effect has no range limit.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-24, 01:06 PM
I'm working on a Homebrewed necro artificer subclass now. Focus on necrotic, lighting, and thunder damage.
A skeleton with radiant sword, +2 armor, gauntlets of ogre strength, and cloak of protection is funny to me.

Could make one ranged and one Frontline once you get 4+ infusions active.

I just realized the radiant weapon reaction effect has no range limit.

Implant magical tinkering lights in the back of their heads as "powered on" and identifier lights would be hilarious.

The thought of all of a suped up zombie you control from the back reminds me of a puppet master from Naruto, your puppet is loaded with weapons and tricks and you conduct it from relative safety.

stoutstien
2019-11-24, 01:18 PM
Implant magical tinkering lights in the back of their heads as "powered on" and identifier lights would be hilarious.

The thought of all of a suped up zombie you control from the back reminds me of a puppet master from Naruto, your puppet is loaded with weapons and tricks and you conduct it from relative safety.

Once I figure out how to word the 3rd level feature to prevent too many unwanted shenanigans I think it will be a solid option for my players who want that Doctor Frankenstein feel.