PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Monk Class Features

Expected
2019-11-24, 02:07 PM
At level 9, Monks can run across water and vertical surfaces. Does this mean I can run up a wall or tree and then jump to reach a flying enemy (Step of the Wind to double jump distance if needed)? And if so, can I take all of my attacks this way (Attack, Extra Attack, Flurry of Blows)? Could I then use Slow Fall as a reaction on my way down? If I don't take damage from the fall, do I need to make an Acrobatics save to avoid falling prone?

If these assumptions are correct, then would Gauntlets of Ogre Power or Belt of Giant Strength be useful to have my attacks increase in damage and to improve my carrying capacity (DM uses encumbrance) and jump distance? We don't have any Str-based party members and no one would want it anyway.

I'd like to be able to use the above to knock flying enemies prone (Way of the Open Hand) and/or stun them, thus making them plummet from the sky (unless they are flying because of magic).

Speely
2019-11-24, 02:52 PM
I would say yes to all. This is what makes Monks distinctive and special. I would go so far to say that this is how Monks are intended to be played, and what makes up for their lower average damage compared to some other martial classes.

Misterwhisper
2019-11-24, 03:06 PM
I would say yes to all. This is what makes Monks distinctive and special. I would go so far to say that this is how Monks are intended to be played, and what makes up for their lower average damage compared to some other martial classes.

The gauntlets or belt is also great for giving you a chance at grappling.

Stunning strike and auto win the grapple check.
They drop out of the sky and take damage, you don’t.

Or you could just carry a bow, you have the dex and extra attack.